Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I found Post 240 to be a very intresting & informative post, thanks Junder.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

Camelot wrote: »
    I found Post 240 to be a very intresting & informative post, thanks Junder.

You didnt read it.

Neither did he.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Exile 1798 wrote: »
    You didnt read it.

You mean I consumed it through my third eye :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

You didnt read it.

Neither did he.

What gives you the right to say what other people did or did not read ?

No wonder the minority faith shrunk so much in Ireland during the early decades of the state. Even nowadays most people do not know half of what happened....and people are still intimidated....and even if people read it they are told they did not read it. Shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

jank wrote: »
    I ROFL'd at this. I presume you never heard of the Irish Famine of the mid 1840's?;)
    I have indeed, but you'll note that it took place about 70 years before the Rising.

Do you now take into consideration the events that took place in Ireland during WWII before making any decisions at the ballot box?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

jimmmy wrote: »
    What gives you the right to say what other people did or did not read ?

No wonder the minority faith shrunk so much in Ireland during the early decades of the state. Even nowadays most people do not know half of what happened....and people are still intimidated....and even if people read it they are told they did not read it. Shameful.
    hahaha.

Unionists never fail to amuse with their delusions.

Please tell me more about the terrible discrimination against Protestant librarians in the South.

Or the fiendish Catholic’s who marry Protestants to destroy their culture.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Any danger we can have, y'know, a grown-up conversation? Ta.

junder, in future please attribute a source when copying & pasting.

Please tell me more

No. Read it yourself. I am sure you would learn something and open your mind. Oh, and please do not be so sarcastic in your comments, as it implies other people said phrases they did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

There are plenty of practical things one can do to help improve society and the lot of your compatriots. Why not think of one and do it instead of indulging in useless childish walter mitty nonsense.

Anyway, I would suggest that anyone who claims to know how they'd respond in the event of the country being occupied by a foreign power should watch The Sorrow And The Pity, the documentary about the French resistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeO89EgDWrM

Having mentioned the French, it's probably necessary to preempt the moronic cheese eating surrender monkeys meme, so one word: Verdun. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Oh for the love of God, the old "ethnic cleansing of Cork" lark again... :rolleyes:

This rubbish is something I hear Unionists continually trot out in order to reinforce their irrational seige mentality, the idea that the southern Protestant population was "disappeared" and buried under the floorboards, and that in the event of reunification the same would happen to northern Protestants. Such nonsensical fears were also found amongst white South Africans and French Algerians, the notion of the oppressed hordes out to wreak vengence. It's complete bullsh*t, and to try and insinuate there was a pogrom in Cork is b*llocks of the highest degree.
    The historian Hart puts the level of Protestant decline during this period at no less than 34% (the Roman Catholic population declined by merely 2%) and comments that

Peter Hart is an entirely discredited Canadian academic who was caught rotten stating he had interviewed people who were long dead. Meda Ryan, an actual historian from Cork has done much to debunk his nonsense.
    Many of those who did survive to return to Cork ended up as targets for the IRA, regardless of whether they were Catholic or Protestant.

Balls. The ranks of the Cork IRA contained many ex-British Army, the most famous being Tom Barry himself.
    It was in the early months of 1921 however that the IRA reign of terror reached its peak. The Southern Irish Loyalist Relief Association began publishing long lists of those unionists, Protestant and Catholic, who had been murdered or otherwise harrassed by republicans. One such pamphlet recalled the case of Alfred Cotter, "a master-baker living in Bandon" who was taken from his home in his mother's presence and shot dead. His crime was that he supplied bread to the local police.

Those few loyalists brave enough to supply information on terrorist activities to the police service faced a similarly terrible fate.

Shock horror, those supplying the occupational forces and informing on the rebels were subject to attack. What an absolute surprise! Tell me junder, what happened to those in the south of France who administred the place for the Germans? A lot worse than what happened in Ireland you can be sure. To suggest targetting collaborators is sectarian was nonsense. The vast, vast majority of the police themselves were Irish Catholics, were Republicans "sectarian" for shooting them too? The IRA made no distinction between religions, in their eyes a cop was cop, a soldier was a soldier, a Tan was a Tan and a tout was most definitely a tout.
    "One night I was called up and was shown a very large glow in the sky overlooking the castle about a mile away. The rebels had burned the castle down as they said they would. I was very sorry; sorry for all the lovely old silver, the beautiful glass and splendid linen all being burnt, all those gorgeous statutes and pictures, the wonderful drawing-room all burning for what? One can understand war with all its horrors, but this seemed to me a very wanton thing to do"

Boo hoo, members of the British aristocracy and ascendancy lost their gaffs. The authour neglects to mention the fact the burning of Big Houses in Cork only took place after the Black and Tans took to burning random homes and creameries (the economic centre of the rural community). Toward the end of the Tan War and Civil War Tom Barry actually posted IRA guards on the homes of prominent Unionists.

Today in West Cork, Protestant farmers remain numerous around the towns of Bandon and Skibbereen, there are also two thriving Protestant private schools (Bandon Grammar and Midleton College) as well as numerous Protestant churches. Suggest there was a pogrom in Cork to these people and you'll be laughed out of it.

That article is simply West Brit nonsense of the highest order.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Today in West Cork, Protestant farmers remain numerous around the towns of Bandon and Skibbereen, there are also two thriving Protestant private schools (Bandon Grammar and Midleton College) as well as numerous Protestant churches. Suggest there was a pogrom in Cork to these people and you'll be laughed out of it.

You would not be laughed out of it ....while pogrom may be a strong word to use, its undeniable in many parts of the country there was intimidation , murders, house burnings etc only several generations ago. There was an innocent family called the Pearsons , for example....look what happened to them....there was a programme about that atrocity on the tv a while ago...how the Protestant farmer men were taken out and shot deliberately to bleed to death while their women looked on etc.

You would not be laughed out of it ....

Funnily enough I'm from Cork and of a Protestant background (albeit a largely working-class background), my family were all Republican during the war. Similarly I know and am good friends with a number of West Cork Protestants who find this whole nonsense argument from a discredited Canadian as hilarious. (Although their entire family are all ginger so maybe they blended in with the West Cork populace! :D)

As I said, those who were targets for the IRA in Cork were those collaborating and touting, irrespective of religion. There were some instances of mobs attacking Big House Unionists, which is why Tom Barry ordered guards posted at their house. But that has nothing to do with the Republican Movement in Cork.
    There was an innocent family called the Pearsons , for example....look what happened to them

They were informers who had previously fired upon a party of IRA Volunteers who were cutting down trees for barricades. They deserved to be whacked. As I said, in the middle of a war collaborating and informing to the occupational forces is nothing shy of treachory, whether its Catholics or Prods.

They (The pearsons) were informers who had previously fired upon a party of IRA Volunteers who were cutting down trees for barricades. They deserved to be whacked. As I said, in the middle of a war collaborating and informing to the occupational forces is nothing shy of treachory, whether its Catholics or Prods.

Bloody hell FTA69, thats pretty harsh (even for you).

I saw the documentary too, it was a dastardly affair, & it really doesn't warrent comments like the above.

Bloody hell FTA69, thats pretty harsh (even for you).

I saw the documentary too, it was a dastardly affair, & it really doesn't warrent comments like the above.

Excuse me if I don't shed any tears for traitors who informed to the Brits and fired upon Volunteers dring the Tan War. The fact you're a Protestant or a Unionist doesn't give you carte blanche to commit treachory.

Charming

Charming

What would you suggest the IRA should have done with informers?
    I saw the documentary too, it was a dastardly affair

War is a dastardly affair. I'm not saying shooting someone is a gallant act, contrary to the prevailing belief it was a grand and noble affair, the Tan War was a dirty and cruel conflict and hard decisions had to be taken by many involved. The fact was these people were informing to the enemy, and to cap it off they then actually fired upon Volunteers.

These people made patently clear which side they were on, and in the middle of a war for national liberation the above behaviour could not have been tolerated. As I said, for all the cribbing and false notions about pogroms, what happened to collaboraters in this country wasn't a patch on what happened in France or Yugoslavia.

While in the process of gaining your precious 26 counties, (and if I had been born 100 years earlier), it could hypothetically have been me that your IRA heroes 'Whacked' on the farm that day, for I too would have been seen (just like the Pearson Family) as the enemy, because of my religion and my anti IRA sentiments.

But those days are over, and you need to get rid of your venom & move on.

While in the process of gaining your precious 26 counties, (and if I had I been born 100 years earlier), it could hypothetically have been me that your IRA heroes 'Whacked' on the farm that day, for I too would have been seen (just like the Pearson Family) as the enemy, because of my religion and my anti IRA sentiments.

Their religion had nothing to do with it, they were shot because they were informers and because they had attempted to kill IRA Volunteers. It wouldn't have mattered if they were Buddhists. Would you have been touting to the Black and Tans had you been around back then? Merciful hour... touting on terrorists to even worse terrorists. Some conundrum eh?
    But those days are over, and you need to get rid of your venom & move on.

What venom? I only bothered posting on this thread because as someone from a Protestant background from Cork, I resent people making things up about Cork Protestants. I didn't even bring up the Pearsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I think I've been fair and objective throughout this thread.
    I don't think I've been biased, and its fair to say I've been reconciliatory throughout the thread.

I have to stick my snout in here tho, and back up FTA about this ethnic cleansing hogwash.

Its tripe. Utter tripe.
    These allegations can only be made in a revionist and retrospective context. The populations/descendents of the Protestant community cannot suddenly develop collective amnesia.
    You can only assert these facts as realistic if you are ignorant of the reality and non-violent factors and you are conscious of the sectarianisim that occured in the North, using this to draw some type of parallel.

The reality is that much of the Protestant community moved out with the evacuation of the British Empire, some moved North too.
    There were methods of discouraging Protestantisim as already mentioned in this thread such as the Catholic laws with regard to baptisim of Children.

Protestant population decline is inevitable really. Police, soldiers, civil servants, whatever - they tend to leave when their government evacuates - this is common sense.
    Others convert.

Its indisputable that their was violence against the Protestant communities.
    Who do you think owned the land?
    The IRA did a land grab - like the Zimbabweans. Thats what happens during a civil war - opportunisim.
    Thats not to say that all Protestant lands were confiscated either.

The notion that the rivers ran red with royal blood is complete trash however.
    Pick up the Bandon historical journal - there is no mention of it.
    What *may* have occured was the execution of British informers, I believe Tom Barry had a list of them.
    Thats hardly a surprise, what about the Cairo Gang?

My grandmother on my paternal side was protestant from the Munster plantation, as were her family. She told me all about the IRA thugs shooting at highly respected protestant men, the local Irish community were very bitter about it, but what could they do?
    She said there was intimidation of some folk, driving other folk out.
    But there was no hutu/tutu business.
    I sincerely doubt she would forget to mention that, believe me.
    Much like Poland, they had traded one dictator for another, & one set of thugs (tans) for another (Ira).

Here is one interesting point she made to me:
    How many Irish people, Catholic or Protestant, have move to England, changed their name and their religion out of the grief they suffer? They may forget they were ever Irish after 2 or 3 generations.
    I was surpised to find a number of English people recently asking me where they could get info about the troubles etc.
    Their parents were Irish, they've grown up in England and don't know anything about it.

I was raised in Cork City but I'm currently living in a protestant town.
    I would invite anybody who gives consideration to that nonsense to come down here and have a look around.
    Look at the beautiful protestant Cathedral in Cork City for Christs sake! The Tans burnt Cork to the ground, MacSweeney,MacCurtain
    Why would that still be standing??

There is no absolutely no manner to say a person out here is not Irish simply because they are protestant or have an anglican name. Its utterly irrelevant. Irish does not equal thick rural catholic bogger. We have thick rural Protestant boggers too, like.;)
    Munster reconcilled a long time ago, as is evident in the communities down here.
    Luckily, they did not partition Bandon to Skibereen, that would have created a petri dish situation like what occured in the North and that is the justification attempted in this fallacy.

This is the ignorance I'm trying to fight, that someone Irish = mono-cultural, mono-lingual, mono-ideological etc.
    Irish people are as diverse as anybody, simply that people use the lowest common denominator to make armies e.g. Nationalisim, Bigotry, Religion, Language, etc. etc.

Let me ask you this:
    How many jews are left in Germany?
    How many protestants are left in Cork?

How can I or FTA be alive if we are (in part) descended from Protestants who were killed during the ethnic cleansing of Cork despite being born long after the 'event'?

• Advertisement

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    The reality is that much of the Protestant community moved out with the evacuation of the British Empire, some moved North too.

Whats with this use of the term 'British Empire'? (I dont get that) seeing as 'we' spread the Empire all over the globe along with Britain. As regards the Protestant community, some moved Up North, some moved to Britain, and many stayed and kept their heads down whilst being diluted & turned into into Dev's children > see below.
    There were methods of discouraging Protestantisim as already mentioned in this thread such as the Catholic laws with regard to baptisim of Children.

Ah yes, the 'Ne Temere decree' > the perfect ethnic cleansing tool (no blood spilt) yet they disappeared.
    Protestant population decline is inevitable really. Police, soldiers, civil servants, whatever - they tend to leave when their government evacuates - this is common sense. Others convert.

Actually, most of the people you speak of were Irish, and needless to say it wasnt a very comfortable place for them after Dev's dream was realised & his Mono cultural, closed, isolationary State was founded.

If only DeVelera had never set foot on this island ...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

So well said.
    There was also a minor cult of personality surrounding Dev too from what I understand.
    When I think back to Irish Press, you can see the seeds of Charlie/Bertie.

Chamberlin and Churchill both hated Dev. Churchill quite liked Collins.
    History could have been so very different.

Never understood why the Pope had such a big say in everything.
    He was the one who authorised Henry II to invade Ireland in the first place anyway.
    Didn't stick up for the Jews either, did he?
    The only good pope was John Paul II, The Pope should be ignored permanently by this country.

Legalise abortion, legalise gay marraige, give people the freedom they deserve, then we'd be rich and happy.

i am not too sure if modern liberal theologists would completely be of the opinion that JPII was a great pope. he did after all completely denounce the idea of issues like condems (in a time when aids became known), i believe the pope who brought in vatican 2 is held in high esteem. by all means theologists with more knowledge, please contribute to this discussion. look at the influence charles j mcquiad had, many ordinary people supported him. i know times have changed and that people have more freedom to dissent etc, but surely people in the 1950's etc were not mere sheep and they had their own minds and opinions?

the pope who authorised the english to land in ireland was, i think, an englishman, though of course, i dont think nationality (whatever it was then, came into the equation, sure even the pope had little trust for dev in 1926). as for the pope having a big say, well, its was the people who gave them there power. you would appreciate that some people went to the church during the war years, abortion , divorce etc looking for guidance. they then had a duty (i guess) to speak out, after all this is a democracy.

i think, in some parts the pope is ignored in this day and age, i am sure you would agree. but people of the faith should be allowed to speak also. you are right what you say in the last paragraph, but thankfully, there is nothing Rome is going to do or wishes to do, if or more to the point when some of the rights you speak of become laws of the land.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    To keep things civil, I would say overall I supported the irish movement for national freedom, but I would consider some events on the road to independence *unwise*.

But saying that does not mean I disagree wholely with the series of events.

Just because I easily disagree with 1916 doesnt mean I disagree with the war of independence (after 1916 I would say the war of independence might have been the only choice.)

I really disagree with the civil war because civil wars as a whole are something I despise, but I am very fond of some elements of Valera's period in power.

On the issue of Home Rule, yes we were practically tasting it at 1914, the only thing holding it back was there was a verry real, written down, signed with blood and delivered directly to the british parliment threat that if Home Rule was passed the unionists will fight britain to stay part of the Union (yes it is something I wonder to this day what it would have looked like, Unionists fighting the british army to remain part of britain, obviously though they would have been fighting irish soldiers with british backing which would have been just as weird)

THe day World War 1 broke out, the british parliment were discussing this very issue, and as someone already said that civil war could have been worse then the war of independence.

It could also be argued that it was that very threat and the initial gun runnings by the unionist that buried Home Rule and that nothing except all out war of independence could have brought it back.

But the fact that by 1920 the North happily accepted it was own form of Home Rule puts water on that fire and that maybe without the war of independence the same treaty would have come around anyway.

But its all ifs and maybes. You need to accept history, just not praise it blindly.

And all of the above is useless waffle anyway.

What I wanted to get to, and its my favourite part is 1931

Ok, war of independence etc, in the end all we had was Home Rule by a different name, still had British rule. Here is what I love.

The Statute of Westminster

eh eh?

An act with no irish involvement in its process, no party pushing for it nor great war to achieve.

Something the British government itself popped up to better rule itself and its dominions combined with a British royalty abdicating and *Boom* we were a republic in all forms except title.

I find it amazing how something can come out of nowhere on the international politics and suddenly we had everything we needed. All it took was someone who knew how he wanted to use it.

Which is where we come back to the events we are argueing over it.

Would someone like Redmond or Griffith had used the Statute of Westminster like de Valera did? Or did it need someone with that extra bit of ambition the desire for full independence no matter what? You could argue that they would have as it was the opposition that would declare full independence over ten years later You could argue they wouldnt because it was clear in 1914 that Redmond was very much an old fashioned politicion who lacked edge of 20th century politicions that came about after the first world war one and that by his actions during the war and after it he would have been someone who would have never considered using the statute of westminster like that.

But all these ifs ifs ifs ifs its a bit nutty.

All that stands is atfer all the fighting and all the political canvasing, the most crucial element had nothing to do with irish politics at all.

that just makes me smile at how awesome history is :D

if i am correct, the statute of westminister, the ideas of such, was brought about during the commenwealth/empire conferences. i understand and would be happly corrected, that people such as Kevin O'Higgins and Des Fitzgerald and some members from the South African Dominion were heavily involved in the working and promotion of same during the annual conferences. - thus removes some notion that cumann na ngaedheal were out and out west brits. cosgrave, a veteran of 1916, was a constitutionalist who quiete obviously was had the horse before the cart man and agreed fully with collin's step towards freedom speech. as you correctly pointed out the statute was the finest indication of what collins meant and the tool that helped dev dismantle the treaty within 15 or so years.

i have heard too, that the ulster convenant of 1912 was signed by some in blood, but i think that was a myth. again, happly to be corrected on this.

Its indisputable that their was violence against the Protestant communities.

The IRA did a land grab - like the Zimbabweans. Thats what happens during a civil war - opportunisim.

My grandmother on my paternal side was protestant from the Munster plantation, as were her family. She told me all about the IRA thugs shooting at highly respected protestant men, the local Irish community were very bitter about it, but what could they do?
    She said there was intimidation of some folk, driving other folk out.
    But there was no hutu/tutu business.

Nobody claimed it was as bad as " hutu/tutu " business - you are the only one to use that phrase / comparison. Its interesting that as a republican you acknowledge there were shootings, intimidation, land grab, etc. The Protestant population did not decline to a fraction of its previous size because of nothing in this country. Thankfully things are a lot better nowadays.

Excuse me if I don't shed any tears for traitors who informed to the Brits and fired upon Volunteers dring the Tan War. The fact you're a Protestant or a Unionist doesn't give you carte blanche to commit treachory.

the fact that they were unionist means they were in their eyes doing the patriotic thing since they would consider the republicans to be the traitors. the term Collaborater is a very useful justification for killing people since it can incompass alot of people

Nobody claimed it was as bad as " hutu/tutu " business - you are the only one to use that phrase / comparison. Its interesting that as a republican you acknowledge there were shootings, intimidation, land grab, etc. The Protestant population did not decline to a fraction of its previous size because of nothing in this country. Thankfully things are a lot better nowadays.
    What??
    Hahaha, Jimmy get a grip on it man.

I already clearly stated I'm not a Republican or a Unionist, I'm in the "Couldn'tGiveAFcukLaike' group.

Anyway you said nobody claimed it was hutu/tutu business, but the the article says
    The IRA took full advantage of this helplessness, stepping up their campaign of ethnic cleansing in the Spring of 1922. Hart recalls that "churches were marked for destruction in order to intimidate or punish their congregations" .

Anybody who reads that article will <understandably> assume or be misled into believing that there was hutu/tutu business. Which would be a mistake. A colossal one.

I'm not trying to further one side or the other, I'm just trying to stay as fair as possible.

There was no ethnic cleansing campaign in Cork
    ==

Regarding the protestant decline - they were already explained by Junder 2 pages back.
    Apparently the Dublin Methodist community has seen its first growth in 90 years.

Can we try be realistic here for a second - was their religious intolerance back in the early 20th century?
    Of course there was.

You're applying todays norms to yesterday, you can't do that. Its an anachronism.
    But there are much more basic reasons for the targeting of protestants than you would claim.
    Consistent across any revolution is the (re)possession of property by the poor.
    In Zimbabwe, we say black & white
    In Ireland, we say Catholic & Protestant

Russia must be the only place where they got it right and said - poor & rich

Whats with this use of the term 'British Empire'? (I dont get that) seeing as 'we' spread the Empire all over the globe along with Britain. As regards the Protestant community, some moved Up North, some moved to Britain, and many stayed and kept their heads down whilst being diluted & turned into into Dev's children > see below.

British Empire - What don't you get about it? :confused:
    The article itself makes reference

I'm well aware of that, don't worry. Irish Civil servants ran India, Irish workers built the canals and the railways, Irish soldiers fought in the British Army.

I don't dispute Protestants had a hard time from their neighbours, The Irish government don't seem to be doing a good job stopping the pikeys from giving me a hard time either.:D
    But there are ignorant people everywhere, I know for a fact that some Irish and protestants got along like a church on fire.
    Ah yes, the 'Ne Temere decree' > the perfect ethnic cleansing tool (no blood spilt) yet they disappeared.
    So is that why we have thousands of protestants in Cork still?
    Why do we still have the methodist churches and the Cathedrals?

I don't get it. Did they ethnic cleanse based on a specific geneotype or something?:confused:
    Actually, most of the people you speak of were Irish, and needless to say it wasnt a very comfortable place for them after Dev's dream was realised & his Mono cultural, closed, isolationary State was founded.

Ok....I will tell you what.
    Come to Cork. Go to Bandon, Newcestown, Skibereen and any place in between.
    Show me the burned down churches and the graves and the corpses and I will believe you.:confused:

Otherwise you may aswell me telling me that Ian Paisley had President Kennedy assassinated.
    You can make all the smart quips you like, but it doesn't change the fact that its baseless and irrefutably wrong.
    If only DeVelera had never set foot on this island ...........
    In some ways I agree with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

djpbarry wrote: »
    I have indeed, but you'll note that it took place about 70 years before the Rising.
    What has it to do with the rising. You said that Westminister were doing a great job ruling Ireland. History says otherwise.
    djpbarry wrote: »
    Do you now take into consideration the events that took place in Ireland during WWII before making any decisions at the ballot box?

Of course not but it depends if something on that scale happened, if an event that took place that time that changed the country and society forever then of course it would. Why do certain Jews vote the way they do in Israel? Why are Israel so defensive when it comes to external threats. Why are Irish people so propery/land obsessed? You can go back to the alot more then 70 years to find the answer to that.

Still waiting for all the other questions I put to you. You choose the easiest ones to answer with a simple but but, answer a question with a question thingy.

For all you armchair warriors i recommend you read politicla murder in northern ireland by Martin Dillon and Denis Lehane, not normally a fan of dillion but this is a good interesting read, maybe its becuse it his first book and also its co-written by Denis Lehane but it does not have the sensationalism of his later books. Its one of the few books thats shows the conflict for what it was reallyn was, a grim, unromantic sectarian slaughter perpetuated by both sides in the conflict.

• Advertisement

Thanks Junder, I'll have a look for it.

Advertisement