Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evans to face Machida at UFC 98 spoiler alert

Options
  • 11-03-2009 8:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/03/11/evans.machida/index.html?eref=T1
    Evans to face Machida at UFC 98
    By Josh Gross, SI.com

Rashad Evans will make his first light heavyweight title defense against Lyoto Machida.
    AP

A championship battle of undefeated light heavyweights is slated to headline UFC 98, SI.com has confirmed. Rashad Evans (13-0-1) will defend his UFC belt May 23 against Lyoto Machida (14-0).

Evans-Machida is the third planned main event for the MGM Grand Garden Arena-hosted card in Las Vegas. UFC heavyweight titleholders Frank Mir and Brock Lesnar were originally scheduled to make the title whole, but Mir bowed out late last week after injuring his knee while training.

The UFC quickly scrapped the anticipated rematch in favor of Evans' first fight since he stopped Forrest Griffin to take the 205-pound title last December. Following his decision win Saturday over Keith Jardine, former UFC champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson was offered the first crack at Evans. Though he was left off Ohio's list of medically suspended fighters stemming from the March 7 card in Columbus, a short turnaround for what would have been Jackson's third fight in five months is believed to be his justification for declining the fight.

Rampage -- who knocked out Chuck Liddell to capture the title, before defending against Dan Henderson and losing the belt to Griffin -- will be first in line to face the Evans-Machida winner.

After racking up a solid record in events around the globe, Machida won his first six fights with the UFC in February 2007. His most recent triumph came at the end of January. Machida, 30, impressively handed fellow Brazilian Thiago Silva the first defeat of his career at UFC 94. The smooth karate fighter is regarded as one of the top defensive and technical fighters in MMA.

"Sugar" Rashad, 29, comes into the bout with an 8-0-1 UFC record, including a victory that made him the The Ultimate Fighter 2 heavyweight winner. Maligned for playing it safe after needing the distance in his first five fights inside the UFC, the powerfully built former Michigan State wrestler has morphed into a finisher. Four definitive endings in his last six contests -- the other two were a tight decision over Michael Bisping and a fortunate draw against Tito Ortiz, who cost himself the win after suffering a point deduction for grabbing the fence -- include knockouts of Liddell and Griffin.

In addition to the five-round title bout, which was finalized Tuesday evening, the pay-per-view card features welterweight rivals Matt Hughes and Matt Serra; Yushin Okami against up-and-coming middleweight Dan Miller; and grapple-happy lightweights Sean Sherk and Frank Edgar.

Glad that Rampage wasnt forced to fight again so soon and Machida is getting his shot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I can see this going the five rounds and Machida getting the decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I reckon Machida will KO Evans. His striking is absolute class and can't see Evans go 25 mins without getting caught.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Deadly:
    a1tqnd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

If I had to pick a camp to train a fighter to take on Machida, it would be Team Jackson. If I had to pick a fighter from Team Jackson to do the job, it would be Rashad. I am expecting Evans to pick up the W, in a fight that wont be going the distance. I just have no idea how he does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

dunkamania wrote: »
    If I had to pick a camp to train a fighter to take on Machida, it would be Team Jackson. If I had to pick a fighter from Team Jackson to do the job, it would be Rashad. I am expecting Evans to pick up the W, in a fight that wont be going the distance. I just have no idea how he does it.

If it does go the distance, Rashad aint winning and its also hard to see Machida getting tagged. It could be a pretty boring fight, i really dont know who i would like to see win, probably Evans so Rampage can do his black on black thing.

What we need is more Demian Maia!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

Can't wait for this one. Rashad is on some great ko form at the moment. Machida is on great for too so should be a good one. Not sure if it'll go the distance though. Both can finish this within 2 rounds. But not sure who i want to win.
    Just glad Rampage decided to sit this one out. Would rather see him going into a fight like this well rested, make sure there aren't any excuses....
    Love the "May not be televised" note on the pic. Pure gold.:D

Fozzy I hope Evans listens to Five Star Radio! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

I see Rashad winning. Whether he remains Rashad "The Lucky" or whether he finally puts a win together that people give him credit for, we will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I hope the dragon wins this, love his stlye, might not be the most dramatic however he is one of the smartest and defo the best use of energy. Looking forward to this card.

This is a very interesting matchup, but it may not be the most visually appealing. THe way to beat a fighter like Machida in my mind is to be more elusive than he is. Avoid chasing him at all costs. Land just enough strikes so that you are ahead on the judges cards. This will force him to chase you, which is not what he is comfortable doing. Before Rashad fought Lidell he was told that if the crowd were booing he was doing the right thing. This may be an understatent for this fight.

• Advertisement

Everyone watch from the 8.30 mark on the May 18th video it is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

rovert wrote: »
    Everyone watch from the 8.30 mark on the May 18th video it is funny.

HA listen to the fans Dana sign Fedor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

This is a very interesting matchup, but it may not be the most visually appealing. THe way to beat a fighter like Machida in my mind is to be more elusive than he is. Avoid chasing him at all costs. Land just enough strikes so that you are ahead on the judges cards. This will force him to chase you, which is not what he is comfortable doing. Before Rashad fought Lidell he was told that if the crowd were booing he was doing the right thing. This may be an understatent for this fight.
    Im picturing the same thing. Well that or a sudden KO. Ah ive no clue whats gonna happen :(

I wonder if rule 29 is ever going to be enforced, and where is the line between elusive and timidity

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules

29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.

The Countdown special is really meant to be something see as the UFC really has decided on how they market Machida.

Anyone see it? I just found a clip from it on Youtube:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I wonder if rule 29 is ever going to be enforced, and where is the line between elusive and timidity

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules

29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.

Well if Kalib Starnes didn't get a warning in his bout with Nate Quarry I'd say it would take an awful lot to get pulled up on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I don't know who's going to win and I love it! Two great fighters, two different styles, both at the top of their games, battling it out to see who wins! The very essence of MMA!

That said, Machida ftw...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Evans to win by KO is my prediction, this will be a good fight..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Evans to win by KO is my prediction, this will be a good fight..

In what round are you thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

rd 1 :)

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I go with round 3 for Evans by TKO

I go with round 3 for Evans by TKO

It would be compelling to see what Lyoto has coming from behind whether it will make him more focused and dangerous or will he just crumble under the pressure and disbelief that someone has found a chink in his armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Im going with Machida in round 4. Iv had questions about rashads conditioning for a while. I think Machida will pick him off then finished him once Rashad starts running out of gas.

and Im gona go for Hughes of over Serra in the 3rd round. Im not the biggest Hugh's fan but just think that he's a better caliber of fighter than serra. But then again its MMA and anyone has a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

As I have no idea whats going to happen I'm going for Machida by triangle round 3. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Pat Barry 12/1 with Paddy Power for KO of the night - is NOT worth a dabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I hate when people are down on Machida. I just think he fights his fight, doesn't get dragged into anyone elses and does his own thing his way. He also has amazing skills and I for one really find his fights entertaining.

Machida by TKO rd3

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

The countdown is on the UFC site, its realy good well worth a look.

I'd like to see Machida win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daviedee

Yea I love Wand, Thaigo's ,Griffen's all action's style but Lyoto is a throwback to the mystical warriors of oldHe is pure class and he is going to stop Rashad after coming through a scare and still the knockers will be knocking and Lyoto still winning:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

3am??? Ah f*ck thought it was on at midnight....

I'm rooting for Machida all the way. Classy fighter.

Advertisement