Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evans to face Machida at UFC 98 spoiler alert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

SPOILERS BELOW

Really exciting fight. The tension built for so long. It was nearly two minutes before they first engaged.
    They showed Machida's corner after the first round but I would've prefered to hear what Rashad was told as he must have been feeling absolutely lost to the be on the end of that timing and technique.

Hughes / Serra fight was a bit of a let down but I don't think it could really have played out any other way. I'm surprised Hughes didn't shoot for more takedowns.

As for the rest of the night, there were some good submissions and knockouts so I'd say it was one of their better cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Agreed, one of the better cards recently.

Anyone else a bit let down by hughes and serra fight? Wasn't a bad fight just didnt live up to the long term hype and expectations. Could it ever have though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Great event. Yves lavigne is at the centre of another controversial stoppage thought Havent seen the video but pics suggest the stoppage of phillipe nover was far too early. Was wonderin why they the fans were booing him at the start of the foupa pokam fight.

Great event. Yves lavigne is at the centre of another controversial stoppage thought Havent seen the video but pics suggest the stoppage of phillipe nover was far too early. Was wonderin why they the fans were booing him at the start of the foupa pokam fight.

Must have been it was wondering the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Great performance by Machida yet again.

He got caught by very little of Evans' strikes who didn't seem to have any idea of how to fight against Machida's style!

If Anderson overcomes Forrest expect a huge outcry from the fans for Machida V Silva. Now that would be a real superfight (we need a licking lips icon)! Is there any possibilitiy of this ever happening considering their great friendship?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

SPOILERS BELOW*

Really enjoyed most of the fights last night. Was very impressed with Frankie Edgar's performance. He's the first person I've seen visibly out-cardio the Roid-Shark. Difficult to see where that leaves Shaun now.
    The battle of the Matts was never going to go any other way; Hughes basically admitted in the build-up that he was going to out-wrestle him for the 3 rounds, and bar the early wobble caused by the clash of heads (NOT a "Headbutt" Joe:rolleyes:) he wasn't overly troubled. Hughes needed the W badly, and he wasn't about to risk it for the sake of an exciting fight.

What can you say about Machida that hasn't been said already? Technically class. Looked totally unflappable in what was by far the biggest fight of his life. Outstanding. Hard to know what Rampage can do differently to engage him in his next outing, but it will be compulsive viewing regardless.

I have a big game this week, so have been off the sauce for a while, but whatever kind of hangover you can have from sleep deprivation and far too many energy drinks...I got it bad!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Vcr let me down again:mad: Just watched it on the net (but its never the same)

Repeat on Setanta 2 tonight at 11.00pm if anyone is intrested.
    Was expecting a massive snooze fest after the first 2mins but there was signs of explosiveness after that.
    At one point it reminded me of a cat-fight when the two of them tried to get in as many hits as possible when they engaged:D think its the only punches landed by Rashad.

Machida doesn't let up when he has a guy on the ropes (cant be accused of not engaging there!)

One thing that amazed me is how all dicipline and style went out the window for Machida as he went for the finish, he was just swinging left-right-left-right (so dont try and tell me that Karate won that fight lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I doubt they will fight. One of the reasons Silva didn't want a run at the LHW title was the fact Lyoto was in the mix for it, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Posssible spoiler..

Who was the last person to defend the title succesfully? Was it Liddell?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kazooie wrote: »
    Posssible spoiler..

Who was the last person to defend the title succesfully? Was it Liddell?
    Rampage defended it against Hendo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Seifer wrote: »
    Hughes / Serra fight was a bit of a let down but I don't think it could really have played out any other way. I'm surprised Hughes didn't shoot for more takedowns.

I thought the third round was close given Serra did some damage. I was dying for them to be stood up numerous times.
    Seifer wrote: »
    As for the rest of the night, there were some good submissions and knockouts so I'd say it was one of their better cards.

Apparently it was much better live with inclusion of the prelims of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Awesome by Machida.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Amazing by Machida, it's hard to think what Rampage could bring to the table to stop that?! TBH it's hard to think of anyone who can? We might just have to wait for Machida to get older and slow down a little bit! :D

SPOILERS!!! Christ. Not everyone stays up

In fairness though, why would anyone be stupid enough to read the thread if they haven't seen it?!.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

In fairness though, why would anyone be stupid enough to read the thread if they haven't seen it?!.....
    Its cropped up before :P
    Who was it that waited a week to watch 96 or 97 again :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

Anyone think Serra missed a real opportunity to finish the fight in the first round?

I think he was too cautious after he rattled Hughes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Anyone think Serra missed a real opportunity to finish the fight in the first round?

I think he was too cautious after he rattled Hughes.
    He went for it, Hughes just did everything right to allow himself to get into a position to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I think the general convention here on spoilers is to wrap stuff in spoiler tags until it's shown on terrestrial tv. Having said that, if you have a peak into this thread expecting not to get spoilers you're daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The heading has a spoiler alert now so if people come on the thread its there mistake..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Vcr let me down again:mad: Just watched it on the net (but its never the same)

Repeat on Setanta 2 tonight at 11.00pm if anyone is intrested.
    Was expecting a massive snooze fest after the first 2mins but there was signs of explosiveness after that.
    At one point it reminded me of a cat-fight when the two of them tried to get in as many hits as possible when they engaged:D think its the only punches landed by Rashad.

Machida doesn't let up when he has a guy on the ropes (cant be accused of not engaging there!)

One thing that amazed me is how all dicipline and style went out the window for Machida as he went for the finish, he was just swinging left-right-left-right (so dont try and tell me that Karate won that fight lol)

He may have been swinging but his footwork was spot on. He didnt just stand there and swing, he threw wide when he had to, came on the inside with the hooks when he had to and threw straights when he had to, also he plated his feet when he had to, stepped back to get his shots etc and im just talking about the finish, of course he will lose some finesse when finishing a guy. Adrenaline etc, but his footwork was spot on.

During the fight his work was text book. I must say I never thought Id see karate kihon (basic line work) being utilised that effective at that level but there you have it.

The only thing this fight proved about karate is that if a fighter has the ability and courage to fight under these rules Karate is a good a base as any.

You'd still have to look to other styles to brush up on certain areas but its a complete system with great fundamentals. Hopefully we will see more karateka take up mma. Even at lower levels the style would add freshness to the cards becuase of the "unorthodox" style. Styles make fights etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

motivatorcae85fb4920832f0c5286868f302b3c1fa8ee356.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

One thing that amazed me is how all dicipline and style went out the window for Machida as he went for the finish, he was just swinging left-right-left-right (so dont try and tell me that Karate won that fight lol)[/spoiler]

Why is that so amazing? He had rashad in big trouble and just unloaded on him..

Karate is a big part of Machida winning all his fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Enjoyed last nights event especially after the shambles of UFC 97. Machida could be a new star now its hard to see anyone at LH beating him at the minute. The Anderson Silva fight should be on the cards alright if he beats Griffin.Drew McFedries win over Professor X was very impressive for shear knock-out power. Someone who attacks like that would be a good match up for Anderson Silva as well. Was suprised to hear Philipe Nover lost again he seemed to have so much potential from the TUF series with Dana calling him the next GSP. Anyone know if thats on the net somewhere wasnt aired last night?

Anyone know if thats on the net somewhere wasnt aired last night?

Edit : get it b4 they take it down

Dear Member:

This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by ZUFFA, LLC claiming that this material is infringing:

98 Nover vs Bradley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxKvfmpHZY

took all of 15 mintues to get wiped out lol

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Wow. Would not want to be a ref in this sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

What was with Pat Barry just giving up on the ground? At least it will push him to learn some ground game (he should start with Guilotine defense :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Machida could be a new star now its hard to see anyone at LH beating him at the minute

I dont understand why people are saying this. Yes he has looked great in his victoies so far (never lost a round is amazing) but there are some very tough matches ahead for him at LHW. Rampage, Wanderlei, Hendo, Franklin and Luiz Cane are all fighters with different games to what he has fought before and there is no telling what difficulties he may have. It isnt hard for me to see him losing a fight against one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Killme00 wrote: »
    I dont understand why people are saying this. Yes he has looked great in his victoies so far (never lost a round is amazing) but there are some very tough matches ahead for him at LHW. Rampage, Wanderlei, Hendo, Franklin and Luiz Cane are all fighters with different games to what he has fought before and there is no telling what difficulties he may have. It isnt hard for me to see him losing a fight against one of these.

I agree, Wanderlei would be a nightmare for him as would rampage hendo and franklin-sitting off him is the wrong way to go and i think these lads will engage him and i would not put him favourite against any of these lads..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

He was just so dominating against Rashad - who is a pretty good fighter. Rashad could not do anything. I think he will hold the belt for a while. But LHW is the best division by far and there are 4 or 5 guys who could give him a good run for his money.

I would like to see Forest against him because of his style. And Hendo because he just goes for it. Hendo would take the fight to him where Rashad kinda stood off.

Advertisement