Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is a nice digital camera to get ?

• 11-03-2009 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

i want to get one for about 200 euro

i was thinking of Fuji FinePix S8100fd Digital Camera
    what is a nice one to get

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

I just bought this for my mum! She wanted an easy to use but good P&S camera.

Nikon COOLPIX L20 DIGITAL CAMERA

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601942-REG/Nikon_26165_Coolpix_L20_Digital_Camera.html

Import VAT will work out around €40 - total cost around €170 inc delivery (3 days) from New York.

10.0 Megapixels
    3.6x Optical Zoom
    3.0-inch High Resolution LCD
    High Sensitivity (ISO 1600)
    Motion Detection
    Easy Auto Mode
    Smart Portrait System
    Powered by AA-Size Batteries

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There's a nice 18x optical zoom on it so nice for long shots..
    My first digital was a fuji f5600 and was very happy with it.
    Now with a Canon 400D for the extra lenses I can use.
    If you can try and splash out for a DSLR..loads of them for sale in the adverts.ie part of boards.
    Try and stick to Canon or Nikon as it's easier to pick up lenses etc for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've had my Lumix TZ3 for two years now and still love it.
    I've used the Canon Ixus 80 quite a bit and highly recommend it, have read good things about the 90 also.

Not quite too sure what the TZ3 is retailing at lately but I know both the Ixus are available for 200ish.

For their money, the powershot canon series isn't too bad either though I'm not a fan of the build personally.

I'll be upgrading to a 450D or perhaps a 40D later in the year, but if you could source a second hand 400d for around 200 you'd be in a good spot.

Would anyone really recommend the 1000d? Just out of interest as they're the cheapest of the Canon DSLRs at the mo but anyone who I've talked to has said skip straight to the 450?

I think I saw a Nikon 60D going cheap on Adverts too fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

I like the Lumix

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

lucozader wrote: »
    bump

Check out the 5 compact camera group tests here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

lucozader wrote: »
    bump

Perhaps a description of what you want to do with your intended purchase would give people a better idea on how to advise - some more information would be very useful.

As for the camera you mentioned - i don't have one but the reviews of it are good. I previously owned (still do) a Fuji bridge type camera (a good few years ago before heading towards the DSLR world) and had a great experience with it so a big thumbs up from me on Fuji gear. Its specs are really good with plenty of features - which tbh you would expect from any 'branded' manufacturer.

If you look at some of the stated conclusions on a review;

Pros:
    • Shooting speed and responsiveness generally excellent
    • Consistent auto focus across the lens range
    • Reasonably flexible auto white balance
    • Huge zoom range; fast apertures throughout

Cons:
    • Slow flash recycle times
    • Continuous shooting speed not impressive
    • High-contrast shots can look compressed
    • Some lens faults to watch out for

The above may assist with your decision but again, you may want to tell people what you intend doing with your purchase.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement