Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Behaving Weirdly ??

Options
  • 11-03-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

My eircom bb has been doing some odd thinsg today which i cant seem to pin down. the primary problem being that at first, web browsing and downloading is all ok then things just start to time out.

opening we pages just keep trying to open but never do. its like a time out but it keeps trying to connect with no success. the same thing happens with downloads. it also disconnects windows messenger and I'm almost sure it disconnects the xbox as well.
    oddly though peer to peer apps like utorrent and soulseek appear to be unaffected.

restarting the pc and router seems to work for a time but not long.
    only notcied this happening today. was all grand last night

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My eircom bb has been doing some odd thinsg today which i cant seem to pin down. the primary problem being that at first, web browsing and downloading is all ok then things just start to time out.

opening we pages just keep trying to open but never do. its like a time out but it keeps trying to connect with no success. the same thing happens with downloads. it also disconnects windows messenger and I'm almost sure it disconnects the xbox as well.
    oddly though peer to peer apps like utorrent and soulseek appear to be unaffected.

restarting the pc and router seems to work for a time but not long.
    only notcied this happening today. was all grand last night

First thought is that someone else is using your connection through the wireless, probably to run a P2P client. Are you still on the default WEP encryption?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

hey spear, I am still running wep however I am in a fairly isolated location and I know all my neighbours. I'd be very surprised if somebody was relatively close by trying to siphon my signal.

I will change to security to be sure though to rule it out.

Now, it could be possible that eircom are/have been working in the area. Normally my 3mn connection drops to about 80kb/s in the evenings. its been staying up at 300kb/s all evening which is very unusual to say the least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

hey spear, I am still running wep however I am in a fairly isolated location and I know all my neighbours. I'd be very surprised if somebody was relatively close by trying to siphon my signal.

I will change to security to be sure though to rule it out.

Now, it could be possible that eircom are/have been working in the area. Normally my 3mn connection drops to about 80kb/s in the evenings. its been staying up at 300kb/s all evening which is very unusual to say the least.

If there's no-one nearby then I'd check all the machines for trojans.

You may want try a tool called tcpview.exe

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

it could help diagnose if your machines are a source of unusual traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

i've scanned all my drives with both windows defender and nod32. nothing showed up.

i've scanned all my drives with both windows defender and nod32. nothing showed up.

Use Spybot S&D as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

My eircom's acting oddly too actually.

Don't think it's a virus or anything, fairly good at keeping on top of these things.

Advertisement