Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United: World Champions - Who cares?

• 11-03-2009 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or is anyone getting sick of hearing about Man Utd being world champs?

I mean, come on, how long can you go on about something like that (says the Liverpool fan;)). Out of all the teams in the competition, how many had you actually heard of? Exactly. It might as well have been Middlesbrough playing in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

How many people actually know that Liverpool were in the competition in 2005? And that we lost to a good team, Sao Paolo, in the final? Or that AC Milan won it in 2007, beating Boca Juniors?

When those matches happened, nobody cared. It was a pointless competition. Now, all of a sudden, it's the most important thing in the world, thanks largely to over-hyped newspaper reports.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is no consistency in regardds to th importance of the competition. Now I was fine with just ignoring this, but Man Utd wearing patches in tonights match is just too much.

Yes, I'm probably cranky because we won't win the league, but can any non-Man Utd actually disagree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

EDIT: After a diuscussion with the OP I've decided to let this run for a bit and see how we go.

Here's the points we discussed -
    DaPoolRulz wrote:
    ...... if anyone else thought it is unfair that Man Utd are being hailed as the best club in the world, because they won a competition that many people never heard of before they won it? No fuss about Liverpool coming second in 2005, Barcelona 2nd in 2006, or AC Milan winning in 2007.....
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Because they aren't being hailed as the best in the world just for that - they are also the reigning Premiership and European champions, as well as having won the World Club Cup.

Two questions -

1. If United aren't currently the best club in the world then who are?

and

2. If winning the Premiership, Champions League and World Club Cup doesn't make you the best in the world then what does?

DaPoolRulz wrote:
    Do you really think that they would be hailed the best in the world without it? They would be the best in Europe and one of the best in the world, and deservedly so. I'm saying that they've built the hype though. I mean if Liverpool won it in 2005, we would 'technically' be the best in the world, not in reality.

I'm not saying they didn't deserve the win. I'm saying they don't deserve the 'worlds best' status.
    Xavi6 wrote:
    You didn't answer my question. If winning all of those trophies doens't make you the best in the wolrd then what does?

For the record, yes they are the best in the wolrd right now with maybe only Barcelona pushing them close, and we all know what happened when they played each other last season.

Over to you....

(PMs published with permission)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Winning the Prem and Champions League is a fantastic achievement. But wining the world club cup isnt, since its been scorned in previous years, and only praised now that an english team have won it. its inconsistent, so yes, they deserve the trophy, but not the over-hyped praise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Winning the Charity Shield isn't worth a **** but that doesn't stop some fans from adding it to a running tally...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Winning the Prem and Champions League is a fantastic achievement. But wining the world club cup isnt, since its been scorned in previous years, and only praised now that an english team have won it. its inconsistent, so yes, they deserve the trophy, but not the over-hyped praise
    Where is the over hyped praise? I hadn't even heard it mentioned before tonight when the wore the badge, which they are entitled to do. :rolleyes:

Name one team who gloats about having won the Community Shield.
    fullstop wrote: »
    Where is the over hyped praise? I hadn't even heard it mentioned before tonight when the wore the badge, which they are entitled to do. :rolleyes:

Don't know where you've been hiding. I've heard it everywhere I go

• Advertisement

Name one team who gloats about having won the Community Shield.

Don't know where you've been hiding. I've heard it everywhere I go

Well get over it then. If it was Liverpool you might change your tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

it's overhyped bollox.

why do YOU care enough to start a thread?

Why do people care about trophies teams won twenty or more years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bet United could give you about 3 million reasons or thereabouts.

I think its a great idea just needs better implementing, SA teams vs Europeans are best vs the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Yawn, its pointless trophy. But the fans of the winners will celebrate it. Cant blame them tbh.

Des wrote: »
    it's overhyped bollox.

why do YOU care enough to start a thread?

Why do people care about trophies teams won twenty or more years ago?

Thank you

It's starting to get on my nerves

OK, I think I deserved that :D

• Advertisement

CHD wrote: »
    Yawn, its pointless trophy. But the fans of the winners will celebrate it. Cant blame them tbh.

I agree that fans should celebrate, but newspapers articles and special patches is a step too far imo

I agree that fans should celebrate, but newspapers articles and special patches is a step too far imo

You get a special badge for winning the Premier League too, should they do away with that?

it's just a patch on a jersey.

you don't have to read the newspaper articles.

surely you have better things to be getting worked up about.

seriously mate, you should have let Xavi leave it closed.

fullstop wrote: »
    You get a special badge for winning the Premier League too, should they do away with that?

PL badge is earned, CWC isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

special patches is a step too far imo

The Champions League is run by UEFA. UEFA make a shedload of cash from the Champions League.

The World Club Cup is run by FIFA. FIFA would like some cash not unlike the sums which UEFA are getting from the Champions League. To do this, they will plug and hype the World Club Cup for all that it is worth in order to increase its profile in spite of the fact it is a sham tournament in its current incarnation.

It's getting a lot of media coverage right now because United are the biggest brand in world sport really and so they are the perfect vehicle to get FIFA some big bucks.

It has nothing to do with football and you shouldn't let it bother you.

they had to play, and beat, the South American champions, did they not?

anyway, so what.

I guarantee you, when Celtic won the European Cup it was being called a mickey mouse competition.

Now they are hailed as the "First British Winners" of that trophy.

The CWC WILL increase in notoriety in the future.

How do you figure this out? From what I know on the subject, in both tournaments you play a set number of games of football over 90 minutes each and by satisfying more of the victory rules than your opponents, you win the competition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Is it just me, or is anyone getting sick of hearing about Man Utd being world champs?
    tbh ive not heard too much being made of em winning the WCC, and from most peoples reaction on this thread id say yes, it is just you.
    I mean, come on, how long can you go on about something like that (says the Liverpool fan). Out of all the teams in the competition, how many had you actually heard of? Exactly. It might as well have been Middlesbrough playing in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.
    again dunno who is going on about it, if its just the moniker of World champs which youve heard fans pundits use before speaing about United, well get over it tbh, they are world champs and it sounds better than europan champs which they are too.
    How many people actually know that Liverpool were in the competition in 2005? And that we lost to a good team, Sao Paolo, in the final? Or that AC Milan won it in 2007, beating Boca Juniors?
    I would think a big percentage of football fans know those teams competed in the competition although and i could be wrong this is the first time that the winners had also won their own league and the CL that same season and therefore can justly be called the best in the World imo.
    When those matches happened, nobody cared. It was a pointless competition. Now, all of a sudden, it's the most important thing in the world, thanks largely to over-hyped newspaper reports.
    nothing has changed, its not all important now its just like a one step up on the europan super cup.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is no consistency in regardds to th importance of the competition. Now I was fine with just ignoring this, but Man Utd wearing patches in tonights match is just too much.
    why is it too much? they are the WCC champions, dont all WCC champions wear the badge after winning it.
    Yes, I'm probably cranky because we won't win the league, but can any non-Man Utd actually disagree?
    what exactley am i supposed to agree/disagree with? im not sure what point your making, nobody inc United fans seems to really rate the tournament but it is nice to be able to call your team world champions / the best in the world and after winning the League, CL and WCC in 1 season united have earned that right imo

they had to play, and beat, the South American champions, did they not?

anyway, so what.

I guarantee you, when Celtic won the European Cup it was being called a mickey mouse competition.

Now they are hailed as the "First British Winners" of that trophy.

And if it does (which I don't think it will), I will accept Man Utd as winners. But until then...

Apparently it's huge in South America, or was in previous incarnations, and they go bonkers when they win it. I'd say they would love an auld patch on their jersey.

With football going the way it is, we will have more patches than jersey in a couple of years. Community Shield badges, FA Cup badges, League Cup badges. There will be badges for winning friendlies. It is turning into the bloody Scouts.

• Advertisement

what exactley am i supposed to agree/disagree with? im not sure what point your making, nobody inc United fans seems to really rate the tournament but it is nice to be able to call your team world champions / the best in the world and after winning the League, CL and WCC in 1 season united have earned that right imo

OK, I'll admit that it's probably just me, but you do contradict yourself there (trying to find fault)

Xavi, if you're listening, I think you called it right. You can lock it again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

um how was that me contradicting myself, united fans wouldent rate it all that much doesent mean it doesent sound nice to call the team you support the world champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Tripe. A teams needs to win the Champions league to get an opportunity to compete for the FIFA World club cup and then have to fight it out with the asian and south american champions to be awarded the trophy. Your post is flawed.

Xavi, if you're listening, I think you called it right. You can lock it again.

because your whole argument has been blown out of the water?

hmmmmmmmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think not caring about it is an insult to the South American game. The best team in the world is imo nearly always the winners of the CL. But considering the fact that Europe b asically only wins every second time, maybe that should be reconsidered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

MG i go away for a few hrs and this thread sprouts up

*shakes head*

btw ibtl

Don't think the thread needs to be locked in fairness, I'd imagine Xavi was only locking it to preempt what could have been a major United versus Liverpool pissing contest.

Since that hasn't happened, the thread should be made a sticky in honor of how far the members of the Soccer forum have come.

To mark this significant achievement, anyone who posted in the thread should be awarded a commemorative Patch which they can wear on their coat to the next Soccer beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

When those matches happened, nobody cared. It was a pointless competition.
    haha.

pic1ge4.jpg
    pic2je9.jpg
    pic3nb4.jpg
    pic4yi3.jpg
    pic5os4.jpg
    pic6ce2.jpg
    pic7ke1.jpg
    pic8bd0.jpg
    pic9ms2.jpg
    pic10hm1.jpg
    pic11ya2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

pwned.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

thats why xavi left the thread open

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Xavi6 wrote: »
    pwned.jpg

Oh god. He's whipped out The Hoff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Without trying to flame, I honestly think that this is just a case of a pool fan fed up of hearing about utd's sucess, no point in undermining the competition...

You're point about the badge being a step too far. AC Milan have worn that badge for every domestic and european match since it was presented to them, Man u got it presented to them tongiht, however the PL said they don't reconise it so it's looking like Utd will only wear it in European competition.

Maybe it didnt mean so much to you/pool because you didn't win it. And that 'team you've never heard of' were the winner of the Copa Libertadores / SA CPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Bit rich from a liverpool fan, wasnt it you guys who went about triumphantly overstating your "treble year"?

Even our double last year Champions League and the Premiership, pisses all over your 2000-2001 seasson - UEFA cup, Fa Cup, League Cup

I won't even mention '99

weemcd wrote: »
    Bit rich from a liverpool fan, wasnt it you guys who went about triumphantly overstating your "treble year"?

Even our double last year Champions League and the Premiership, pisses all over your 2000-2001 seasson - UEFA cup, Fa Cup, League Cup

I won't even mention '99

And it was all going so well too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This thread wins on so many levels :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So United shouldnt be taking any glory out of winning a competition that both Barca and Liverpool failed to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think that the patches where just another one of SAF's mind games to annoy the hell outa inter it was just a pshciological thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest I think the winners of the CL or Prem should wear a patch, exactly like they do in Italy, mind you the cup winning one is maybe a step too far.

I'm not a United fan and I've no problem them being called world champions, they did after all win the World Club Cup. Should Italy not have the right to be labeled world champions after winning the FIFA World Cup? Maybe Spain should shut up about being European Champions. While were at it, will United ever shut up about winning the Premiership and CL and for the sake of us all will Liverpool ever shut up about winning stuff in the 80's. Oh wait, thats ok, the OP is a liverpool fan.

Seriously, this thread, while funny and having some good points, is just pure resentment. Bet your a$$ you'd have been shouting it out if Liverpool had won it when you had the chance.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Somebody please sticky this thread! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think that the patches where just another one of SAF's mind games to annoy the hell outa inter it was just a pshciological thing.

I think it was platini's idea actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Couldn't give 2 hoots about it to be honest.

What is impressive is flying across the world winning the bloody thing, coming home to see those cheeky Scouse chaps 10 points clear, getting the head down and swinging it by 17 points potentially 23.

Now we should get a badge for that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What is this bullshit talk like United went out and commissioned these badges just to annoy people or something?

The badge was awarded to United by Sepp Blatter as a reward for winning the competition. They could refuse to wear it I suppose, but why would that be a good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Martin Tyler said last night that the Premier league refused to sanction United wearing the badge in league matches. Probably a psycholgical mind **** to Blatter and Platini. Up yours lads !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

I know for a fact that if liverpool had of won the competition they would of blown it out of proportion, oh and by the way, that competion is the teams that won their continental competion (like the south american champions league),

yes im a man utd fan and i was happy when we won it, but i also do realise its not the greatest competion, but i seriously think all liverpool fans have to accept the fact that their not the best team at (my friends who support liverpool think they were made by God or something)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Ok its a glorified charity shield thats all it is simple as. I agree with Mr thread starter man dont remember his name but it is being ovehyped cos united won it. it shouldn't count as a trophy when counting what you've won in a year cos well basically its ****e just like the charity shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Draupnir wrote: »
    Apparently it's huge in South America, or was in previous incarnations, and they go bonkers when they win it. I'd say they would love an auld patch on their jersey.

With football going the way it is, we will have more patches than jersey in a couple of years. Community Shield badges, FA Cup badges, League Cup badges. There will be badges for winning friendlies. It is turning into the bloody Scouts.

Leave the scouts outta this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Iang87 wrote: »
    Ok its a glorified charity shield thats all it is simple as. I agree with Mr thread starter man dont remember his name but it is being ovehyped cos united won it. it shouldn't count as a trophy when counting what you've won in a year cos well basically its ****e just like the charity shield

Except from the important difference that the WCC is considered a competive (officially) while the Charity Shield is a glorified friendly and does not count as a competitive game according to the FA (linked to Diarra's move to Pompey)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The way I see this is pretty simple.

The winners of it will always claim it be a major trophy whereas anyone looking on will say its mickey mouse type trophy. As a Utd fan i will often say tongue in cheek that we are the world champions but i'm sure any other fan would if their team won it. If the roles were reversed and say Pool won it i'd just say its meaningless. In all truth is doesn't mean that much really.

And OP you obviously cared enough about it to make a thread on it!

Lets hope the world champions beat you this weekend :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Except from the important difference that the WCC is considered a competive (officially) while the Charity Shield is a glorified friendly and does not count as a competitive game according to the FA (linked to Diarra's move to Pompey)

dude competitive game are you actually for real.
    Gamba Osaka
    LDU Quito

To the rest of the world these are pre season friendlies made up by the marketing machine to sell jerseys in untapped markets. Just so happened they took place in December.

However in fiarness to United they've always shown how much they care about the World club thingy, They rank it higher than the FA cup dont you know. Maybe thats why we're hearing so much about it

Iang87 wrote: »
    However in fiarness to United they've always shown how much they care about the World club thingy, They rank it higher than the FA cup dont you know. Maybe thats why we're hearing so much about it

This is unequivocal bollox.

You know it.

I know it.

Everyone else knows it.

You could only have one possible reason for typing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement