Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United: World Champions - Who cares?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Des wrote: »
    This is unequivocal bollox.

You know it.

I know it.

Everyone else knows it.

You could only have one possible reason for typing it.

cos its true i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Iang87 wrote: »
    dude competitive game are you actually for real.
    Gamba Osaka
    LDU Quito

To the rest of the world these are pre season friendlies made up by the marketing machine to sell jerseys in untapped markets. Just so happened they took place in December.

However in fiarness to United they've always shown how much they care about the World club thingy, They rank it higher than the FA cup dont you know. Maybe thats why we're hearing so much about it
    Ahh, your pettiness shows itself again

I suppose when you're out of pretty much every competition, pettiness is all you've got

Oh well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Gamba Osaka
    LDU Quito

However in fiarness to United they've always shown how much they care about the World club thingy, They rank it higher than the FA cup dont you know. Maybe thats why we're hearing so much about it

Whatever about Osaka but Quito win the COPA LIBERTADORES because they are a bad side ? Come off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Gamba Osaka
    LDU Quito

To the rest of the world these are pre season friendlies made up by the marketing machine to sell jerseys in untapped markets. Just so happened they took place in December.

Whatever you think of the teams matters not a jot to be honest. They are officially recognised competitive games and the teams we played were the continental champions of each continent.

You rate it so poorly and like having a pop over it cause it suits you. I don't think there is much merit in it myself, but i don't see how it is a stick to beat United with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Its a competition where the team who has won each continental competition competes.

Man U won last years European competition.

They then beat the winners of the other continents, so they are crowned World Champions.

Its not rocket science.

United making a big deal about it is a psychological tactic. Its a way of building your team and fans up mentally. Its like chest beating. Its saying we are the best in the world. We fear no one. Its also something to try and intimidate your oppositions. To try and strike fear into them. They're not just facing the best team in England, they're facing the best team in the world.

Since Sammy Lee has come back to Liverpool, he has initiated a project where the club is now covered with quotes on the walls from famous footballers & managers who have lauded aspects of Liverpool or Anfield. Off the top of my head I know there's one from John Terry there, and there's one talking about Anfield being a European fortress.

Bill Shankley used to watch opposition arrive at Anfield and enter their dressing room. He'd then go into the Liverpool dressing room and tell the Liverpool players about how one or two of the opposition were looking pale with worry, or that they looked like they were out on the beer the night before.

Mourinho uses psychological ploys to belittle opposition and build up his teams too e.g. Ibrahimavic is the best player in the world, etc.

Managers & clubs will use every oppurtunity they get to give their club an advantage. Its football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

rosboy wrote: »
    Its a competition where the team who has won each continental competition competes.

Man U won last years European competition.

They then beat the winners of the other continents, so they are crowned World Champions.

Its not rocket science.

United making a big deal about it is a psychological tactic. Its a way of building your team and fans up mentally. Its like chest beating. Its saying we are the best in the world. We fear no one. Its also something to try and intimidate your oppositions. To try and strike fear into them. They're not just facing the best team in England, they're facing the best team in the world.

Since Sammy Lee has come back to Liverpool, he has initiated a project where the club is now covered with quotes on the walls from famous footballers & managers who have lauded aspects of Liverpool or Anfield. Off the top of my head I know there's one from John Terry there, and there's one talking about Anfield being a European fortress.

Bill Shankley used to watch opposition arrive at Anfield and enter their dressing room. He'd then go into the Liverpool dressing room and tell the Liverpool players about how one or two of the opposition were looking pale with worry, or that they looked like they were out on the beer the night before.

Mourinho uses psychological ploys to belittle opposition and build up his teams too e.g. Ibrahimavic is the best player in the world, etc.

Managers & clubs will use every oppurtunity they get to give their club an advantage. Its football.

I don't actually think United are making a big deal out of it. there is the announcement at the start of home games, which is a bit of fun with the crowd imo. All the players have said it was a nice trip to go on and that they were glad to win, but they haven't been saying anything close to "its a massive trophy and a massive win". People are picking up on this badge thing - i don't think United would be bothered if there was no badge to wear, or that they can't wear it in the premiership, they are wearing it because FIFA told them too, just as they went to Tokyo because FIFA said they had to, and brought a strong squad cause FIFA said they had to. The biggest deal, imo, is being made by opposition fans making mountains out of molehills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Des wrote: »
    This is unequivocal bollox.

Fully agree with Des here. Either you have only one objective in typing that or you have no idea what happened between the FA and Man U at the time. I'd wager though that you couldn't care and want to have a dig at them.

What was actually really hilarious in that season was all the fans saying in December sure this will be great, they will be wrecked from traveling all the way over there and playing that tournament. Fast Fwd to may and United win the prem all of a sudden it was, sure were not surprise they went on holiday for a month while the rest of us had to play games. The FA fixed it!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I don't actually think United are making a big deal out of it. there is the announcement at the start of home games, which is a bit of fun with the crowd imo. All the players have said it was a nice trip to go on and that they were glad to win, but they haven't been saying anything close to "its a massive trophy and a massive win". People are picking up on this badge thing - i don't think United would be bothered if there was no badge to wear, or that they can't wear it in the premiership, they are wearing it because FIFA told them too, just as they went to Tokyo because FIFA said they had to, and brought a strong squad cause FIFA said they had to. The biggest deal, imo, is being made by opposition fans making mountains out of molehills.

You could be right. The most of what I've heard has come through the media. I'd be surprised if United were against taking advantage of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Whatever you think of the teams matters not a jot to be honest. They are officially recognised competitive games and the teams we played were the continental champions of each continent.

You rate it so poorly and like having a pop over it cause it suits you. I don't think there is much merit in it myself, but i don't see how it is a stick to beat United with.

was having a dig at united i will say that. about the competition my view like others is simple. dont rate it, never will rate it and it gets a fancy title to make sides think its worth a **** when its basically about money and sponsorship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I hope Utd are playing in it next time around.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    How many people actually know that Liverpool were in the competition in 2005? And that we lost to a good team, Sao Paolo, in the final? Or that AC Milan won it in 2007, beating Boca Juniors?

When those matches happened, nobody cared. It was a pointless competition.
    This competition is very important to us because this is the only competition [we] haven't yet won. We want to do so now.

"We will try to play as well as possible for the fans over there. I don't know if we have more fans in Japan than the other teams, but I know we have a lot. I also know if we win this competition, we will have even more in the future.

Want to guess who said that?

As I intimated earlier, it suited some people to consider the Charity Shield (and the European Super Cup as well) as trophies of note when certain sections of the media were lauding another side for their (impressive) five trophies in one calendar year, I don't see any reason to begrudge United the right to count their triumph in Japan among their trophy haul.

Advertisement