Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low cost camcorder reccomendation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

perhaps some of ye might have some advice for this poster - not much available over on photography forum. send it back over if its not the appropriate home.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I may be wrong, but I sincerely doubt that thats actually 1080i, its similar to the whole HD Ready affair(Way to trick the layman, gits). For actual HD you'd wanna get a MiniHD tape using camcorder, Sony ones will cost at least 1500, probably more, and are not compact.
    Focus Information not provided
    DV in (IEEE1394, FireWire) No
    DV out ( IEEE1394, FireWire) No
    Sound Information not provided
    Webcam Function/ mini films Information not provided
    Connectivity Audio Output Information not provided
    Audio Input Information not provided
    Video Output HDMI, TV
    Video Input Information not provided

It records to SD, for one its gonna be highly compressed for sure. No focus info provided? It might be fixed for all you know.

Basically, I think that the HD is a mathamatical calculation(AFAIK they can do that with interlacing), the actual result is something far inferior.

The below is a compact miniDV, probably 250 here. Its a little dearer but has definite quality. For putting drunken escapades on DVD or Youtube it'll be fine.

Hope this helps,
    L_B.
    http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/product_images/altimage/07%2007%2020081215461541sony_dcr-hc62e_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

I have found it on Pixmania for 295

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1061007/art/sony/dcr-hc62-minidv-camcorder.html

This is a good bit more than I was looking to spend tbh.

There is a lower end sony miniDV model here

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1061956/art/sony/dcr-hc51-minidv-camcorder.html

Is there really enough of difference to justify twice the price? 155 would be right on the money...

Sensor (in pixels) 800,000-pixel 1/6" Advanced HAD
    Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar lens
    Lens diameter: 30 mm
    Media MiniDV
    Viewfinder Colour
    LCD Screen 2.5" (6.2 cm) LCD touch screen
    123,300 pixels
    Sensitivity (lux) Day: 11 lux
    Night: 0 lux
    Optical Zoom 40x
    Digital Zoom 2000x
    Image Stabiliser Electronic Super Steady Shot
    Focus Auto and manual
    Photo Mode Photo Mode No
    Maximum resolution on memory card (in pixels) No
    Memory Card No
    Supplied Media -
    Sound 12/16-bit digital PCM stereo sound
    PCM audio mixing
    Sound dubbing
    Built-in stereo microphone
    Built-in loudspeakers
    Windbreak filter
    Webcam Function/ mini films No
    Connectivity Audio Output Yes
    Audio Input No
    Video Output Yes
    Video Input No
    DV in (IEEE1394, FireWire) No
    DV out ( IEEE1394, FireWire) Yes
    Computer Interface No
    Wireless Function No
    Compatible Platforms PC and Mac
    Supplied Software None
    Misc Possible power supply NP-FH50/FH70/FH100 battery
    Accessories included AC-L200 mains adapter, stereo AV cable, NP-FH30 rechargeable battery
    Weight (in grams) 380 g
    Dimensions 65 x 85 x 162 mm
    Other Functions Shutter speed: 1/5-1/215 in automatic mode and 1/50-1/3500 in scene selection mode
    White balance: automatic / indoor / outdoor
    Exposure control (24 levels)
    Automatic gain and iris control
    Spot metering and focusing
    Scene modes: 8
    Faders: 4
    Special effects: 6

Its amazing how far down the page the specs are.

Yeah, the other was just a quick google example. That one seems fine, I have a predecessor to it, the HCR 27E. Carl Zeiss Lens, 40X Optical Zoom. They have digital stabilisation as standard.

The one thing I'd suggest is a second battery, replica ones are 20E on ebay:) MiniDVs are 60mins each BTW.

One thing though, you'll need a firewire port to rip to a PC, do you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Thanks for all your info so far.

The problem, well kind of, is that my main PC with the firewire slot has XP on it with ****ty movie maker and my laptop with Vista and movie maker HD only has USB.

Pixmania has the firewire cable for 8e extra, which Im sure I could stretch. The extra batteries are MINIMUM 56 extra. Thats rediculous, what are they? Prius batteries?!?!?

How long would you get out of the battery? 1 hour would do, 2 hours would be great.

Tapes are cheap, 8 hours for 20e, so thats not a problem at all!

Thanks again for all your info, youve been more than helpful.

• Advertisement

Are they networked? You could always rip to the first machine and transfer to the lappy, thats what I do, my cheap vostro has very limited ports.

Large Battery(Chinese):
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/New-Battery-for-Sony-NP-FH100-H-series-NPFH100-FH70-DCR_W0QQitemZ180335196098QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_CamcorderAccess_RL?hash=item180335196098&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
    Regular Batt(Chinese):
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Battery-For-SONY-NP-FH40-HDR-HC7-HC5-HC9-UX5-NP-FH50_W0QQitemZ110355073942QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_CamcorderAccess_RL?hash=item110355073942&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

The above may not last as long as the sonys, but as the OEM ones are 60 cheapest here, its better to get a chinese FH100. Sony do love to rip you off:|

In general, you'll get 45-60mins with the LCD open, or 120mins max with the LCD closed. Note, Rewinding burns power, so just shoot while you're out and about, tapes are cheap so you can get a handfull, then rewind and review when you get home to mains voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Use an external hard disk for capturing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

hi all im looking for the same advise but im willing to spend maybe up to 850 wanted hd with a hard drive was lookin at maybe a sony sr12 or sr11 any ideas thanks

Advertisement