Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 things a women likes on a daily basis

Options
  • 11-03-2009 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Ladies,

Sorry for butting into your forum. My o/h has become the bread winner in my home and I am now the home maker. I find I am very organised(Finally :P) so I have a couple of hours free every day. We found out the o/h is pregnant lately and are over the moon, my thing is.

If as a lady your were to pick 10 things to make life more comfortable everday for you what would they be!

I figure if I do one a day I will contribute something from a greatful man

I would have posted misc as I dont want to seem like a lick but I am genuine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Without meaning to sound flippant, it entirely depends on my mood and I imagine it will for hers too, and depend on what she likes in general.
    I think having the place clean and dinner cooked in the evening would go down extremely well though. Nice candelit bath the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

bluewolf wrote: »
    Without meaning to sound flippant, it entirely depends on my mood and I imagine it will for hers too, and depend on what she likes in general.
    I think having the place clean and dinner cooked in the evening would go down extremely well though. Nice candelit bath the odd time.

Thank you. This is genuine. It is not about wanting to jump on her just to say thanks. I have all them covered except for the candles. Will try that!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Things that instantly come to mind that I love to come home to:
    Fire cleaned out and lit/blazing complete with full bucket of coal and wood beside it so I don't have to go outside! :)
    Dinner made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

You're very considerate! I think making the home warm, clean and smelling of delicious food when she comes home sounds perfect so all she has to do when she comes home is take off her shoes. And doing the washing up afterwards too!

Remember, if the roles were reversed, she'd be doing the same for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

no sports on tv ;) :P !

• Advertisement

emo!! wrote: »
    no sports on tv ;) :P !

your safe there its usually space pirates or in the night garden

I am amazed its so simple to please you all. Thanks for the advice. Any more it would be appricated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

1) Having someone make me tea or cofee

2) A clean kitchen sink

3) Noticing if I'm wearing something new, have a haircut etc.

4) No clutter!

5) Flowers on the table...doesn't have to be expensive like roses..Could just be a mix of Spring flowers

6) No TV on..hate the sound

7) If the weather is appropriate, then the windows open to let some fresh air in (pregnant women often feel that it's too hot or stuffy)

8) bin emptied

9) fresh sheets

10) nice lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Congratulations on being an impending father.

Here's the non-fatherhood list:

Cuppa tea. EVERYONE loves being handed a cuppa tea.
    Change the bed sheets once a week without having to be asked.
    Cook dinner.
    Tidy the fridge out.
    Clean the bathroom.
    Pick up/drop off dry cleaning.
    Do the grocery shopping and don't come back with a case of beer and four boxes of pringles.
    Help with how things are organised at home - if there isn't a place for something, make one or build or buy some sort of storage unit that fits appropriately and solves a problem.

Here's the fatherhood list:

Do some research. Find out all of the things you're going to need to know in the next couple of years - where's your local health nurse based, what does she do, research vaccinations, look up nursery schools, creches, primary schools, ring them up, find out how much they cost, what their waiting list is.

What does baby NEED in the first year in terms of clothing, furniture and other bits and pieces? Where can you get them from? How much will they cost?

You're organised - so be organised. You have free time, and none of the above is vital to do right now, but it's useful, and you want to be useful, so...

Congratulations on being an impending father.

Here's the non-fatherhood list:

Cuppa tea. EVERYONE loves being handed a cuppa tea. Will do!
    Change the bed sheets once a week without having to be asked. Will do!
    Cook dinner. Do!
    Tidy the fridge out. Will do!
    Clean the bathroom.Do!
    Pick up/drop off dry cleaning. Never an issue - We must be poor! :(
    Do the grocery shopping and don't come back with a case of beer and four boxes of pringles. Do!
    Help with how things are organised at home - if there isn't a place for something, make one or build or buy some sort of storage unit that fits appropriately and solves a problem. Must try harder!:D

Here's the fatherhood list: Expert on below have one child. Must check his vacc to see if any due though!. Thanks

Do some research. Find out all of the things you're going to need to know in the next couple of years - where's your local health nurse based, what does she do, research vaccinations, look up nursery schools, creches, primary schools, ring them up, find out how much they cost, what their waiting list is.

What does baby NEED in the first year in terms of clothing, furniture and other bits and pieces? Where can you get them from? How much will they cost?

You're organised - so be organised. You have free time, and none of the above is vital to do right now, but it's useful, and you want to be useful, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

This may seem like a silly thing, but do things properly :)

I find it very irritating when someone says "You sit there, I'll do the washing up!", only to discover later that all the glasses are greasy, the kitchen is spattered with grease, and there's still food on the plates. It leaves you subtly trying to fix everything. Same when changing the sheets - if the bed isn't actually made properly it kind of defeats the purpose. Or when someone says "look! I've changed the sheets!", and then you discover all the dirty sheets are in a pile in the middle of the floor. It's not just a man thing - women do it too :)

Learn to take a critical look around at places you don't normally see, like the skirting boards and windowsills, and give them a dust down as you're vacuuming. The bit around light switches often gets dirty without people noticing - give them a wipe with a damp cloth from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

I have to say, after a long stressful day I like nothing better than a back rub.

(Oh and all the house work done aswell - in a dreamworld, obviously, not in my real world anyway)!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Put some effort into learning the fine art of massage dude. And not just rubbing the sore spot. Great books out there on massage and reflexology.

I can now cure a head ache with a foot rub, well worth it.:D

JackieO wrote: »
    I have to say, after a long stressful day I like nothing better than a back rub.

(Oh and all the house work done aswell - in a dreamworld, obviously, not in my real world anyway)!!!!

Its funny you say that. I cant do a back rub right but I do give a good foot massage, So I am told by the o/h and know bad or smelly feet dont bother me for some strange strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

being handed a cup of tea!

Dragan wrote: »
    Put some effort into learning the fine art of massage dude. And not just rubbing the sore spot. Great books out there on massage and reflexology.

I love you thinking but your missing the point. I dont want to jump her bones I want her to sit back and think " Isent this nice" you get the jist!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭clones1980

A cup of tea and a cadburys cream egg.... :D

clonesbabe wrote: »
    A cup of tea and a cadburys cream egg.... :D

This is my one not hers. I already have a stash to do me till July! 2010

:D

She gets the choc I get the centre! :D The only problem is sometimes I want my bit first,

But you get the jist

I am surprised tbh I am giving you the chance to tell the world 10 things that would make your day and I am only getting one's and two's

But thanks anyway. More welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

come home to a clean house,
    dinner made,
    nice cup of tea,
    maybe a nice dessert or big giant bar of choc,
    lots of hugs & cuddles,
    hot bath,
    & most importantly.. full authority of the remote control!

sar84 wrote: »
    come home to a clean house,
    dinner made,
    nice cup of tea,
    maybe a nice dessert or big giant bar of choc,
    lots of hugs & cuddles,
    hot bath,
    & most importantly.. full authority of the remote control!

I like this esp the last one. My child watches tele from 5-7 she watches from 7 - 10 and then tells me the news is sh1t at 11. Figures but I get the jist again

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Dragan wrote: »

Well worth it, indeed . . . Care to take a long-distance trip?

I tend to be the kind of person who likes some things done a particular way, so it's very hard for me to sit back and let someone else do them.

All of the niceties mentioned so far are great -- but for me, I think the best thing to come home to is someone else who is genuinely happy that I'm home. Not just a look up and a 'hey, how's it going,' but a hug and a kiss and a few minutes to sit down and chat (or not!) while I decompress from the work day.

As for what would make my life more comforatble? Well . . . how about making it acceptable to go through life in sweatpants? If you could make that happen, I'd hunt you down and thank you profusely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭clones1980

I am surprised tbh I am giving you the chance to tell the world 10 things that would make your day and I am only getting one's and two's

But thanks anyway. More welcome!

Thats cos were a bit dubious tbh. if a man asked me what 10 thing he could do for me everyday id think he just had an affair :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I love you thinking but your missing the point. I dont want to jump her bones I want her to sit back and think " Isent this nice" you get the jist!

and she will man reflexology is so relaxing once you know how to do it women love it.... They really really enjoy it.. :cool: and they will its the most relaxing thing in the world if you can do it... my mum does it :D shes taught me a few things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Joey the Lips - you sound too good to be true!

For me, coming home to a lovely tidy house with dinner already made is bliss.

Your OH may experience real tiredness in her first trimester of pregnancy so being able to relax after work would be great for her during this time.

Best of luck!

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Thats cos were a bit dubious tbh. if a man asked me what 10 thing he could do for me everyday id think he just had an affair :eek:

LOL Really love you thinking my wife is pregnant I am the happiest person in the world I just want to return my thanks - No alter motives! Seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

She will if you do the massage properly - they can be sensual enough etc for foreplay but they can also be extremely relaxing, I'd agree you should think about it!

bluewolf wrote: »
    She will if you do the massage properly - they can be sensual enough etc for foreplay but they can also be extremely relaxing, I'd agree you should think about it!

and the 6million dollar question is whats a couple of simple tecniques to do first. Can you ref a website. Be clean on this one folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'm afraid I don't know anything about massages per se; but as to what women like, for me it's not being left to do all the cleaning / cooking. Basically not being treated like I'm the Mammy!

I suppose it's already been said but here we go:

Do the hoovering and clothes washing (even the horrible handwashing!).
    Hang the clothes out / put them in dryer or whatever you do in your home.
    Prepare dinner (and put the saucepans and things in the dishwasher too!).
    Do the supermarket shopping.
    And the all-important cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Oooh, I've thought of another one - keeping fresh flowers around.

You don't have to spend a fortune on Interflora or giant bouquets, but a nice vase of flowers on the hall table (or somewhere you see regularly) brings a smile to my face when I come in the door. Getting rid of flowers as they die and topping up with new ones is nice - specially if they're things that smell nice like fresias. I think I heard pregnant women are more sensitive to smells, so find out if there's anything she hates the smell of.

This isn't an every day thing, but learn how to give facials at home.

Another non-everyday one - try and remember upcoming birthdays of her family and buy the card at least.

Spend some time each day finding a website that will make her giggle.
    Here's a few to get you started:
    http://www.cowswithguns.com/cgi-bin/listen_animation.cgi?cart=1236880748
    http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/
    http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jbistlin/headlines1.htm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Reading this thread makes me slightly wish I didn't have to go out running when I get in from work and get to sit down on the couch with dinner and a cuppa. Then I remember how great training is.

I don't think I'd be much help to the OP. All women are different, first thing I do when I get in from work is make a cup of tea, sit down in front of the TV and computer(they're beside each other) for half and hour then I head out for a run. All my OH could do for me is do my training for me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

I thought of a few things. If she's in her first trimester, she might experience nausea..So keep a variety of foods on hand. Not necessarily big, heavy meals. That might just make her more nauseous..I mean more like snacks. When pregnant, I always favored fresh fruit, for example. Just have a wide variety of light things she could eat, because you never know what she might be craving.

Also, she might be hyper-sensitive to smells. So it's probably not the best time to try on a new aftershave or to cook up a huge pot of "fragrant" and spicy fish stew.

Let her decide the room temperature. It took my OH two pregnancies to figure this out. Pregnant ladies get hotter than regular people and this led to some temper tantrums by me.:o

Advertisement