Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can of guinness

Options
  • 11-03-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

hi i was just wondering can anybody tell me the best way to pour a can of guinness to get the best taste.It always tstes and looks crap for me Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The best way is to actually buy cans of Beamish instead. Pour them as you would pour the guinness, tilted glass, slowly. Looks like guinness, but tastes great! About 40 cent a can cheaper too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

And once you get the hang of that, then move onto bottles of OHaras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Quint wrote: »
    The best way is to actually buy cans of Beamish instead. Pour them as you would pour the guinness, tilted glass, slowly. Looks like guinness, but tastes great! About 40 cent a can cheaper too:D

Crazy talk, Guinness is the only beer I can drink from a can

To the OP
    Few tips.
    Glass:
    Make sure that you have a really clean glass. I don't mean one that has been in the dishwaser with the butter knives. Water break test the glass (will be on google)
    Make sure that the glass is dry and cool.

Beer:
    Make sure that the beer is chilled correctly, too warm and you get too much head formation / too cold and not enough (so no freezer people)
    Open the can in a quick motion and leave to surge, for a few seconds.
    Pour at 45degrees (this stops splashing, which can cause a lot of air to form big bubbles)

all the way to the top, the can does not need to be stopped.

This is my personal opinion completely mind

kenmc wrote: »
    And once you get the hang of that, then move onto bottles of OHaras.
    +1, oharas is quality. A bit pricey if you're having a lot though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

My motto is quality not quantity :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Heres a question for the guinness peeps, how do you open a can of nitro without spraying it everywhere!!! :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Heres a question for the guinness peeps, how do you open a can of nitro without spraying it everywhere!!! :D.

Maybe make sure that the temperature is correct and that the can is not agitated??

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Me and bunch of friends decided to do a stout from a can taste test. We bought 1 of each of the brands available in can that our local offy stocks. We found Guinness Draught to be the best, Murphys to be a close second (found it smoother) and Beamish to be terrible none of us could manage more than one mouth full

Me and bunch of friends decided to do a stout from a can taste test. We bought 1 of each of the brands available in can that our local offy stocks. We found Guinness Draught to be the best, Murphys to be a close second (found it smoother) and Beamish to be terrible none of us could manage more than one mouth full

At least change your user name when you write that completely unbiased review:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Very odd Mr Guinness. I've found the opposite to be true in reverse order. Somehow Beamish tastes better in the can than that from draught and vice versa for Guinness.

The Guinness from the can just tastes so weak as if its watered down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I just drink the Guinness direct from the can. Sacrilege to many, I had a few mates going mental when I did it, but actually since converted them to be can drinkers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Remember when they brought out a 'draught' guinness which was supposed to be dunk from the bottle.
    Their marketing slogan was 'dance with it'
    I' sure the nightclub owners loved that one as they spent years stopping people from having drink on the dancefloor!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was in the button factory a week or so ago (used to be templebar music centre) and they had bottles of erdinger, budvar & tiger and the usual brands. I was shocked that they let you take the bottle away from the bar, not a particularly rowdy gig (Q-tip), but not a sit down one.

Thing is a poured guinness will fall short of the pint glass, and it just looks manky to me. A mate used to pour water in, or have a smaller can in the fridge to pour a little in the bottom before topping up with a 500ml. When drank from the can I find it more creamy and you cannot see if it looks manky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

gurramok wrote: »
    Very odd Mr Guinness. I've found the opposite to be true in reverse order. Somehow Beamish tastes better in the can than that from draught and vice versa for Guinness.

The Guinness from the can just tastes so weak as if its watered down!

I agree. Like the guy reviewing Irish stout in the Irish Times last week I'd say Arthur didn't buy the draft cans of Beamish. Look out for the ones with the creamy head painted onto the top of the can in future, they're beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

rubadub wrote: »
    I just drink the Guinness direct from the can. Sacrilege to many, I had a few mates going mental when I did it, but actually since converted them to be can drinkers too.

As do I, for a moment I was worried I was the only one :)

Advertisement