Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Magee slip-up

• 11-03-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I know the guy's a legend, but this is just ridiculous

"Arsenal, once the quinticential English side, have now evolved into a team without a single englishman in their entire Six Nations squad!"

Someones over-worked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭GBX

He is a legend, but I think age is catching up on him. I remember hearing him commentate the Euro's, Portugal were playing and he was saying "Its Ricardo on the wing" ... then realising his mistake turning it into a bit of a joke saying "Oh ive just promoted the Portugeuse goalkeeper to an outfield player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I remember when Jimmy Magee would be commenting on the seagulls flying over dalymount park while the

A the irish forward put the ball in the oppisitions net or

B the irish goalkeeper picked the ball from out of his net .

Usually it was the latter :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He got Baptista mixed up with Totti when watching the highlights there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I hate Jimmy Magee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

At least he's entertaining - I'd have him over Angry George any day...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I see your Beglin and raise you Ray "I-can-do-kartwheels" Houghton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I know the guy's a legend, but this is just ridiculous

"Arsenal, once the quinticential English side, have now evolved into a team without a single englishman in their entire Six Nations squad!"

Someones over-worked
    What was wrong with that?

How many different countries were represented in the Arseanal starting lineup tonight?
    Yes thats right six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

haha during the euros whilst commentating on a portugal game, pepe (black cb for the casual fans) took a knock and after jimmy says

"his lips are even bigger than when we started"

ah jim, god bless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

or george hamiltons "INTERESTING STATISTIC"
    that ibrahimovic hadnt scored in the champions league at all in 2009

wow a whole 1 game at that point hardly a drought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I still blame Jimmy Magee for our exit to Italy in the World Cup in 1990.

Something about the way he put so much effort into pronouncing he Italian players names. When they scored I really got the impression he was beside himself with joy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I heard that too, 6 Nations.

I had awful trouble watching the match tonight so I ended up watching the highlights on RTE there, my heart LITERALLY sank when I heard it was been commentated on my Jimmy Magee...

Seriously though, im so tired of people saying Jimmy Magee is a legend and all that. The truth is he is a piss poor commentator, actually the worst Ive ever heard, he knows ****-all about soccer, i.e. the modern game as opposed to telling you who scored all the goals in the 1960 FA Cup FInal. The ball could be in the back of the net and he will still be rambling about the hotel he happens to be staying in that night.

Jimmy your time is up... In fact its been up since I was a boy. Could the people at RTE please just put him out to pasture now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    or george hamiltons "INTERESTING STATISTIC"
    that ibrahimovic hadnt scored in the champions league at all in 2009

wow a whole 1 game at that point hardly a drought

Well I didn't hear that bit but I heard him say that his 'interesting fact' was that Ibrahamovic didn't ever score in the second half of the Champions League ever, i.e. he's only scored in group matches.

Jimmy Magee's past it now at this stage, get the odd laugh outta his mistakes but he's too hard to listen to.

But that six nations comment wasn't a mistake, its just good use of the English language and all around sports knowledge. If you didn't get it then you are not near as sharp as Jimmy Magee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    The team had representatives of six different nations, if you don't get that or if you are going to be pedantic about it, well we can all be like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

i think he was telling a one of those thingys emmm... a joke!

ziggy wrote: »
    Six nations team does not roll off the tongue quite like six nations squad and it doesn't sound as good either. The use of colloquialisms are quite common in sports commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jimmy Magee should be given a pretend microphone and let someone else do commentary on football, boxing, gymnastics, f*cking chess.......

Can't stand the man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

He's just a doddery auld fella now. He knows his beans but he gets quite muddled these days. Bit like John Motson in that regard.

Dave! wrote: »
    Jimmy Magee should be given a pretend microphone and let someone else do commentary on football, boxing, gymnastics, f*cking chess.......

Can't stand the man
    I can't stand Alex Ferguson but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be a football coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's eh.... Yeah that's great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

KevIRL wrote: »
    I still blame Jimmy Magee for our exit to Italy in the World Cup in 1990.

Something about the way he put so much effort into pronouncing he Italian players names. When they scored I really got the impression he was beside himself with joy.

+1. Everytime he commentated on us, we lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Legend my bollocks. Hate the reveration of past it old timers, the man was a good broadcaster in his time, but shouldn't be on the air any more. Its embarassing hearing him commentate on football. Some young broadcaster should be given a chance. Memory man? My arse. (apologies to Jimmy, no personal offence intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can't stand Alex Ferguson but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be a football coach.

Jimmy, is that you?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

life would be boring without people like jimmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I hate Jimmy Magee

I hate you for saying that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

RichTea wrote: »
    He's just a doddery auld fella now. He knows his beans but he gets quite muddled these days. Bit like John Motson in that regard.
    I agree, they've both been senile for years now. Some of the crap they spout is incredible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement