Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Disident Republicans" in cross border bomb plot

Options
  • 12-03-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Straight off the presses

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/11/northernireland-northernireland
    Security forces on both sides of the Irish border are hunting tonight for a dissident republican bomb, after intelligence reports the Real IRA has smuggled a large device into Northern Ireland from the south, the Guardian has learned.

The alert began on Monday before Continuity IRA killed PC Stephen Carroll. He will be buried tomorrow after requiem mass in his home town of Banbridge, County Down.

As border security tightened with extra checkpoints and patrols, sources in Dublin and Belfast said "intelligence traffic" indicated a plot to explode a bomb in the north, and the device had been transported across the border by car.

"The red light went up on Monday and there is a panic on that the next thing to happen is a bomb somewhere in the north," one veteran security officer said yesterday. "The problem is that no one either in the PSNI [Police Service of Northern Ireland] or the Garda appears to have specific intelligence where it is destined for." The security forces believe the device is similar in size to the 300lb car bomb that dissidents left abandoned in Castlewellan, County Down last month.

I speculated on a Guardian blog this would be next, kinda hoped I would be wrong though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Given the RIRA's track record with bombings (See:Omagh), this one will be a complete fcuk up on their behalf and they'll kill both communities indiscriminately.
    If that happens, maybe this will be the one that will convince whoever is hiding them to give them up to the P-IRA (PSNI unlikely) or at least stop supporting them.

Failing that, if God has any sympathy for NI, they'll blow themselves up first while transporting it.

What I don't understand is why the PIRA don't seem to know who they are?

Given that they are dissident, the PIRA should know a fair bit about them and given that they were reported to have put a pipe bomb out Sinn Fein offices, one would think the PIRA wouldn't hesitate to start asking questions/cracking skulls.

Makes you wonder if some former PIRA have defected over to the RIRA side (Post GFA).

The British army need to leave and put a UN force in, its the only solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Given the RIRA's track record with bombings (See:Omagh), this one will be a complete fcuk up on their behalf and they'll kill both communities indiscriminately.
    If that happens, maybe this will be the one that will convince whoever is hiding them to give them up to the P-IRA (PSNI unlikely) or at least stop supporting them.

Failing that, if God has any sympathy for NI, they'll blow themselves up first while transporting it.

What I don't understand is why the PIRA don't seem to know who they are?

Given that they are dissident, the PIRA should know a fair bit about them and given that they were reported to have put a pipe bomb out Sinn Fein offices, one would think the PIRA wouldn't hesitate to start asking questions/cracking skulls.

Makes you wonder if some former PIRA have defected over to the RIRA side (Post GFA).

The British army need to leave and put a UN force in, its the only solution.

Given that one of the people that were arrested was 17, it may be that this a new generation of terrorist, one who is below the PIRA radar maybe?

Now is definately not the time for the British Army to leave, why on earth would you want these bastards to win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Just thought of this, if the PIRA are going against Sinn Fein do you think there will be an order sent down to make them dissapear? I mean I'm sure the IRA/SF know who they are and eventually if they get troublesome enough....

Bit of a conspiracy theory there but it's not unknown to happen. Of course that's assuming they are going against SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

layke wrote: »
    Just thought of this, if the PIRA are going against Sinn Fein do you think there will be an order sent down to make them dissapear? I mean I'm sure the IRA/SF know who they are and eventually if they get troublesome enough....

Bit of a conspiracy theory there but it's not unknown to happen. Of course that's assuming they are going against SF.

There's a rumour that the SF/IRA army council killed off a lot of those guys in Loughgall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Given that one of the people that were arrested was 17, it may be that this a new generation of terrorist,
    Good point, somebody must be recruit/indoctrinating them however.
    There's a rumour that the SF/IRA army council killed off a lot of those guys in Loughgall.

They missed a few unfortunately.

Point taken about the UN force - if they were sent in, the scumbags have a little victory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

This **** never ends does it...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Has the Israeli army ever involved itself in UN duties, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I was just looking up Hotels in Beflast as I was planning a trip up in mid-april. That wont be happening any time soon after hearing this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

You know, this new campaign of violence will achieve absolutely nothing for the republican movement. The C.IRA are just trying to take a giant dump on the the peace process.

It's true isn't it? Some men just want to watch the world burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Heres to hoping a speed bump causes the bomb to kill them all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

the_syco wrote: »
    Heres to hoping a speed bump causes the bomb to kill them all...

Wishful thinking......given past experience, they'd probably spot the speed bump outside a school, realise they can't get past it with the bomb, park the car outside the school, and then when the inevitable happens blame the British authorities for putting the speed bump there and for not reacting to the warning in time..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

you;d have to ask the british gov

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/was-omagh-bomb-car-bugged-by-security-services-14219591.html

A listening bug could have been placed inside the Vauxhall car that carried the Omagh bomb, according to a High Court document.

The sensational suggestion that a security agency may have listened to the bombers on their way to the town is contained in an affidavit submitted on behalf of the Omagh relatives.

The document drawn up by their solicitors calls for the release of “a recording or recordings made of transmissions from a covert listening device placed in the maroon Vauxhall Cavalier car used to house the bomb transported to Omagh on 15th August 1998, together with transcripts and notes relating to that recording”.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A listening bug could have been placed inside the Vauxhall car that carried the Omagh bomb, according to a High Court document.

The sensational suggestion that a security agency may have listened to the bombers on their way to the town is contained in an affidavit submitted on behalf of the Omagh relatives.
    Ah, no-one cares about the truth. They only care that the terrorists killed innocent people. Who cares that the police/army could've stopped it from happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

I said it on another thread. Once Sinn Fein signed up to policing. These knuckle draggers used it to re-group. They're trying to draw a line between 'true republicans' as they see it and Sinn Fein on the other side with the British government and Unionists.

The good thing to come out of all this is that all the main parties have stood completely unified against them and completely for the peace process..

the_syco wrote: »
    Ah, no-one cares about the truth. They only care that the terrorists killed innocent people. Who cares that the police/army could've stopped it from happening?

Who cares that the scum themselves could have stopped it from happening - BY NOT DOING IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Who cares that the scum themselves could have stopped it from happening - BY NOT DOING IT!

I agree Liam, however, if it is true that the security forces knew what was happening serious questions need to be asked and answered.

I agree Liam, however, if it is true that the security forces knew what was happening serious questions need to be asked and answered.

Wasn't disputing that, gd......and I'd agree. Lots of crimes are committed by people "known to Gardai", and that always pisses me off because they know they're a risk (usually based on past activities and crimes) and they should have them off the streets BEFORE they re-offend.

I was just pointing out where the PRIMARY blame was using that poster's own phrase; phrases like that tend to excuse the perpetrators and should be challenged at every opportunity.

There's also the aspect that - IF we were to believe the "oops" crap spouted by the bombers and their associates in the aftermath of the atrocity - the location at which the bomb went off was a "mistake", so it's perfectly possible that the security forces were at the "intended" location, and not where the car was "abandoned" in the middle of the shopping area.

Advertisement