Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel/Health Insurance

• 12-03-2009 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭

I'm currently looking into travel insurance for my trip. Do people usually keep their health insurance going when they head off backpacking for a year? (and purchase backpacker insurance on top of this?) Or what is the norm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

I wanted to keep my health insurance so I used VHI Global. http://www.vhi.ie/global. Its expensive compared to other travel insurances but good if you need to keep your health insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Thanks I'll take a look at that!

I've had a look at this, it seems to be the best value cover for money.

It's as cheap if not cheaper than getting health insurance from Hibernian or Quinn and then getting backpacker insurance else where.

All the backpacker insurances I've looked at seem to cover medical expenses in a foreign country should you fall ill, and they all seem to say they will get you home if necessary. I think I would like the peace of mind to know that any on going treatment once I get home are covered.

Does anyone know of any other backpacker policies other than the VHI one that offer this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey,
    I went with USIT on their backpackers travel and health insurance. The deal was good. Around €400 with an Australian year long visa thrown into the deal. Happy days :-)

I'll be canceling me VHI from the date that my travel insurance starts.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Hey,
    I went with USIT on their backpackers travel and health insurance. The deal was good. Around €400 with an Australian year long visa thrown into the deal. Happy days :-)

I'll be canceling me VHI from the date that my travel insurance starts.

Does the USIT policy offer cover if hospital care is needed in Ireland upon your return?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

SheroN wrote: »
    Does the USIT policy offer cover if hospital care is needed in Ireland upon your return?

Hmmm, thanks for asking that cos I wouldn't have checked otherwise. No, "Any expenses incurred after You have returned to Ireland or the UK" are not covered. Maybe I'll hang on to my VHI after all.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Hmmm, thanks for asking that cos I wouldn't have checked otherwise. No, "Any expenses incurred after You have returned to Ireland or the UK" are not covered. Maybe I'll hang on to my VHI after all.

Yea that seems to be the way most of the backpacker/travel policies are. Pay for medical costs in the foreign country where you fall ill, pay for travel back to ireland but that's where the cover ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tipptop2008

VHI quoting €2.5k for a years health insurance and travel insurance - some rip off - looks like will just have to keep own health insurance and get travel insurance else where

Advertisement