Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whatawaster vs. Mitch Connor

• 12-03-2009 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

Team Discovery Channel

Planning

I began by trawling through wikipedia pages, club websites and various other sources, compiling an excel database of around 500 players from virtually every club who have played in the premier league. I then went through every name quickly and rated them all out of ten (there were 27 tens) and sorted them by position. Two things became clear: 1. I was only going to get one or two world class players into my team, and i had to make them count, and 2. There was a real shortage of top-class attacking players beyond the elite few. So my strategy was a no-brainer. Build from the front. Apart from the fact that there are fewer quality attacking players, I believe that it would be possible to build a solid defence around 5 average players (as it turns out I wasn't left with 5 average defenders), but it would be far more difficult to score goals and create chances with a mediocre attack.

My picks (in order chosen)

1. Thierry Henry - Centre Forward - 254 premier league appearances
    My talisman and my captain. Phenomenal goal-scoring and goal creation record, and for me he's hands down the best attacking player the premier league has seen.

2. Steve McManaman - Right Wing / Free Role - 240 premier league appearances
    He has it all - pace, engine, workrate, ego, dribbling and most importantly - delivery. Only David Beckham has a better assists to games ratio in premier league history, and no other Liverpool player has created as many goals as Macca.

3. Damien Duff - Left Wing / Second Striker - 320 premier league appearances
    Damo will bring tremendous pace, the ability to beat players with ease, excellent workrate and tremendous versatility. Also a discount on Lucozade.

4. Dietmar Hamann - Defensive Midfielder - 268 premier league appearances
    Rock solid, reliable, hugely experienced in the PL. He'll protect my back four by breaking up play and set off attacks with his accurate passing. Also strikes an excellent dead ball.

5. Robbie Keane - Centre Forward - 292 premier league appearances
    I brought in Robbie because i think he'll complement Henry perfectly. Has wonderful movement, vision and works tirelessly for the team. Also has an excellent eye for goal.

6. Thomas Gravesen - Central Midfielder - 156 premier league appearances
    Again brought in as he'll complement Didi beautifully. Will bring much needed aggression, fight and determination to the engine room and he is much under-rated in an attacking sense. He'll create chances, support the attacks and chip in with the odd vital goal.

7. Rob Jones - Right Back - 155 premier league appearances
    Was my first choice right back from the start. Excellent all-round full-back. A very good defender and he loves to get forward and is good on the ball. He has also played a lot with McManaman so they should have plenty of chemistry on the right flank.

8. Stephane Henchoz – Centre Back – 233 premier league appearances
    One of the best tacklers I’ve seen in the premiership, Henchoz was a key member of Liverpool’s treble winning side in 2001. He boasts decent pace, he’s good in the air and has an invaluable knack of getting away with handballs in big matches.

9. John Beresford – Left Back – 179 premier league appearances
    Like Jones, Beresford is a fine all round player. Solid in defence and classy in attack he made his name as a pivotal member of Newcastle’s “entertainers.”

10. Alan Stubbs – Centre Back – 204 premier league appearances
    A tough battling centre-half, who showed his leadership skills in leading Bolton to a league cup final in the mid ninties. Can be relied on to organize the defense well and is excellent in the air.

11. Thomas Sorensen – Goalkeeper – 265 premier league appearances
    Hugely experienced premiership goalkeeper. Wonderful shot-stopper and good in all other areas. I couldn’t believe I got him in the 11th round.

The Formation(s)

Sorensen

Jones
    Stubbs
    Henchoz
    Beresford

McManaman
    Hamann
    Gravesen
    Duff

Keane
    Henry (c)

On paper it looks like your standard 442, but I see it slightly differently. The goalkeeper and back four are obvious, and Hamann will sit in front of them, only venturing forward on rare occasions. Gravesen will be the aggressor in midfield and will play box to box. These 7 will provide the team with excellent shape and solidity in defense.
    The front 4 will line up as they are in the formation above, but I will try and base our attacks fluency of movement, making good use of the versatility of all four players. So you could see us line up as above, or:

Duff
    McManaman
    Henry----

Keane

Or countless other variations. The opposition won’t know what to expect!

Defense

It is said that all great teams are built on a great defense. Built from the back. Not mine. But overall I’m absolutely delighted with how my back 5 panned out. I think I got great value from my last 5 picks. I honestly don’t see my team shipping too many goals.
    - My team is equipped to defend from the front. Keane, Duff, McManaman and Gravesen all have good engines and attitudes and will hassle and harass opponents on the ball high up the pitch. This, hopefully, will limit onslaughts against my defense.
    - All my attacking players are good on the ball. I’d expect to spend plenty of time in the opposition areas, again easing the pressure on my defense.
    - Didi Hamann. He has shown through his career, though particularly at Liverpool, that he is a super solid holding midfielder. He’ll sit, break up attacks, limit the space for the opposition’s creative players and play simple passes to start attacks.
    - Full backs. I think I have two of the most under-rated full-backs the premiership has seen. Both have good recovery pace to help the centre backs
    - Both centre-backs have lots of PL experience, both good readers of the game, good in the air and strong in the tackle. Neither is blessed with extraordinary pace, but make up for it with their strong positional sense.

Midfield

I’m very happy with my balance in this area. Hamann will have a calming influence on the whole team. Slowing the pace down when we are under pressure, laying it off to another player when we are starting attacks. Gravesen will be the opposite. Full of energy, making tackles and getting up and down the pitch. He will be vital both defensively and offensively to my team. Both midfielders are adept at winning back and maintaining possession and I feel confident that they won’t be over-run or dominated by even the stronger midfields they will come up against. Robbie will, of course, drop back to lend a helping hand when needed.

Attack

This is the area of the team I’m most pleased about.
    - Jones and Beresford both have the will and the ability to get forward whenever they see the opportunity. Both are strong crossing on their respective flanks when they get past their winger. Both have the legs to beat their opposite player. Both are classy enough on the ball to pick out a player further infield when there is nothing else on ahead of them.
    - McManaman I see as the main creative force in my team. He is an assist machine. His starting position will always be the right flank, but I envisage him often roaming infield with the ball, swapping flanks with Duff, or even playing through the middle behind Keane, with Henry drifting wide.
    - Duff. Another versatile attacking threat. Experience on both flanks and up front for his country. I won’t shackle him the way Mourinho did at Chelsea. He’ll be allowed to express himself, hopefully showing the kind of devastating form that saw him light up the 2002 world cup.
    - Keane. An important link man between defense and attack. His vision will hopefully see him set up Henry for countless chances, and his movement is excellent so he’ll make himself space for the wingers to find him in. He’ll play a pivotal role in my side. I expect him to lead the line on occasions (don’t worry, there’ll be no long balls up to him), but more often to drop deep, link up with the wingers, play one twos with Gravesen when he advances forward. And of course, chip in with some goals.
    - Henry. My brother. My captain. My king. Undoubtedly my most important player. As an attacker he has everything. He has the movement to wait up top for a through ball, the intelligence to find space out wide and terrify full-backs and most importantly, he loves scoring goals. I expect chances to be many in my side. I think he’ll relish the attacking system I’ll play. As attacking as Arsenal were, but hopefully more clinical and direct. Like my other attacking players he’ll have the freedom to use his versatility. Dropping deep, drifting wide etc . . .

Overall

All in all, I couldn’t be happier with the way the draft has gone. At the start of this process, I set out what my dream side would be. Once I had decided on Henry as a first pick I tweaked this side, omitting obviously unrealistic players like Keane, Viera etc. In the end I managed to get three of them (Henry, McManaman and Jones). All of the players I picked were fairly high on my shortlists, and many of them became first choices after a couple of rounds. I’ll finish by analyzing my teams main strengths and potential weaknesses (and more importantly how I’ll overcome them):

Strengths –
    - I believe I have the best attacking options out of all the teams in the draft. I love the balance of my attack. Two wingers, two overlapping attacking fullbacks. An intelligent linking striker and the best forward in premier league history.
    - Experience. When I saw other teams including players with 40 or so appearances I knew I’d have an edge in this department. All my players have more than 150 premier league appearances between them. On average each of them has played 233 times in the league. I believe this is very important and I doubt many teams are as experienced.

Weaknesses

- My central defenders could be said to lack pace. There were certainly quicker full backs out there for me to choose, but I’m happy with Henchoz and Stubbs. The fullbacks both have the pace to help them out, Hamann will work tirelessly to protect them and they are both intelligent enough to position themselves in the right areas to snuff out threats.
    - There have been doubts expressed over Henry’s captaincy in the past, but to defend him I think he is the right choice for my team. He will lead by terrific example and unlike at Arsenal he won’t be leading a team of kids, rather a side full of experienced premier league players.

Team Name:Team Discovery Channel
    Captain: Thierry Henry
    Free Kicks: Thierry Henry, Didi Hamann
    Corners: Duffer, Macca
    Penalties: Thierry Henry

Finally, I’d like to thank Lloyd for all his effort in putting all of this together. It really has been great fun.

vs.
    Pick 01 - Ruud Van Nisteelroy
    Pick 02 - Frank Lampard
    Pick 03 - Andrie Kanchelskis
    Pick 04 - Kolo Toure
    Pick 05 - Xabi Alonso
    Pick 06 - Mikel Arteta
    Pick 07 - Sylvan Distin
    Pick 08 - Obafemi Martins
    Pick 09 - Joleen Lescott
    Pick 10 - Pascal Chimbonda
    Pick 11 - Tim Howard

Team Name - Drenai FC.
    Captain - Lampard
    Free Kicks - Arteta, Lampard.
    Corner Kicks - Arteta, Lampard.
    Penalties - Lampard.

Tim Howard.

Voted Premiership 'Keeper of the Year in his first season with United. In his time at Everton, he has established himself as the first choice keeper in a team that has performed very well over his time with them, and I think he has been a big reason for that. Got him as my last pick, so I was delighted to have a keeper of his class available at that stage.

Pascal Chimbonda.

Another player who has been very impressive when he has played in the premiership, and another player to be voted as the best in his position - voted premiership right back of the season in his debut season with Wigan. Fast and strong, good going forward with the ball. A solid and top right back.

Joleen Lescott.

An absolute star for Everton over the last few seasons. Strong defensively, solid going forward and a very dependable goal scoring threat from set pieces. As far as left backs go, I'll admit he is not world class, but he is a damned fine choice, and a damned fine player. I don't think there will be any wingers that will have the ability to dominate him, and he will force them back up the pitch themselves.

Kolo Toure

The first of my centre backs. Strong, fast, good on the ball and not afraid to move forward with it. A solid central defender, who has been rated as among the best in the world during his career at Arsenal. With him at the back, along with his defensive partner, no one is going to be beating my team pace, and we'll go toe to toe with them for power too.

Sylvan Distin

Another big, fast, strong centre back. A massive player for Newcastle, City and Portsmouth in his time win the premiership. Recently named vice-captain at Pompey, so has definate leadership qualities which i think is important.

Xabi Alonso

Probably the most defensive of my midfielders, which isn't too great i'll admit. However, he is a top player, and on his day one of the very best central midfielders in world football. A great passer, with great vision, and quality with set pieces. Great positional play as well and not afraid to tackle either. Was delighted to get him into central midfield.

Mikel Arteta

Again, another great midfielder, a great passer and creative force and a great goal threat, from open play and set pieces. A massive reason for the recent success of Everton (along with Howard and Lescott). Can play centrally and left sided, so offers me a bit of variety in my midfield deployment, which was a reason for going for him. Has won the Everton Players Player, and Fan player of the year awards, so his quality should be undoubted.

Frank Lampard

Frank gets me goals - there can be no argument about that. 80 goals and counting for Chelsea, and there are his assists too. Leadership qualities also, so i think he is a very good pick.

Andrie Kanchelskis.

A bit of a 'heart' pick - one of my favourite ever players. Lightening quick and and a goal threat - 50 premiership goals, and Uniteds leading goal scorer in the 94/95 season. Goals, assists and frightening pace for swift and deadly counter attacks.

Obafemi Martins.

Another player bringing undoubtable power and pace to my side. A quality striking partner for my main striker; with a 1 in 3 strike rate for Newcastle. Gives me the option of putting the ball over the top for him to chase, as i don't think there is a defender who will beat him to the ball, and another player adding to my counter attacking ability with Kanchelskis.

Ruud van Nistlerooy.

My first pick, and one i was delighted with. A premeership goal scoring king - hammering in 23 premiership goals in his debut season, his first full season after injury. Followed this up with 25 prem goals the next season, 20 the following season, then 6 (in a season ruined by injury) and 21 in his final season. 95 prem goals in 5 seasons (with one ruined by injury), and another 14 FA Cup goals in 14 appearances. A player i think would thrive on the service he would get from my midfield.

Formation.

With the players I have, i think i can succesfully go 442, 433 attacking of 451 defensive. Attack being the best form of defence; my team will be one of the best on possession of ball, some great passers in midfield and a defence not afraid to actually lose the ball. In Ruud, I have a striker my team can play to and off in any of those formations. Martins can drop out wide to the left offering a pacey outlet down the left to mirror Kanchelskis on the right, giving my team possibly the best counter attack in the game, and the ability to streatch the opposition down both flanks and get in behind. Chimbonda and Lescott down each side offer more width on each side.

Waster vs. Mitch 6 votes

Waster
    0%
    Mitch
    100%
    eirebhoyjemwhatawasterctrl-alt-deleterosboySlipperyPeople 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Like to remind people that this thread is only for official announcements (be it a soccer mod or me) and those involved in the match. if you want to discuss anything said here or about the match (and please do) do it in the general discussion thread please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mitch
    Wow, it's really getting tough now. Mitch has a great team. Of course, i think mine comes out on top.

Goalkeepers - I actually think Howard and Sorensen are pretty even. Both have plenty of experience, both are outstanding shotstoppers who on their day can single handedly keep a team out. Both are prone to the odd error too (but what goalie isn't?). I'd call this one a draw.

Full Backs - i think i have the most solid, balanced and quality full back pairing in the draft, and i think i win out quite easily in this department. Rob Jones was one of the very best in the premier league history, both going forward and defending. Chimbonda on the other hand is pretty good going forward, but suspect at the back and has known attitude problems. Jones wins here.
    Lescott is a good defender and chips in with some goals. But again i prefer Beresford here. More of a classic full back - defending well, and getting forward as he did so well with the "entertainers", supporting my wingers. Some may disagree, but it's Beresford easily for me.

Centre Backs - Henchoz and Stubbs v Toure and Distin. I think this is close. Mitch's two might edge it on talent, but i think Stubbs determination and Henchoz tackling (one of the best the prem has had, particularly his recovery tackles) make it very close.

Central Midfield - Hamann and Gravesen v Alonso and Lampard. Again, there is more natural football ability on Mitch's team here, but my midfield has more balance. Hamann is a better disciplined midfielder than Alonso, and has had a longer and far more consistent career. Gravesen may not have Lampard's goals but he is more aggressive, better in the tackle and will help Hamann out more. Lampard is suspect in a midfield two. Like Gerrard he can often empty the midfield. I'm certainly happy with how i match up here.

Wings - i think i win this area easily.
    McManaman and Kanchelskis are the two better wingers on show and undoubtedly Macca wins easily. The second best assists to games ratio in the premier leagues history, a non stop engine, outstanding final ball and the ability to play other positions all make him a better player.
    The other side is difficult to compare. Duff is a more traditional winger. Arteta is a classy wide midfielder. I think Duff's impact on the premiership has been greater. He played a similar role for Blackburn as Arteta does for Everton - that is as their talisman in attack. Duff however also went on to be a crucial element of Chelsea's two league wins. I think Duff wins out here.

Forwards - Keane and Henry v Martins and Van Nistelrooy

Keane and Martins will play the deep striking role in all probability. No contest here. Keane has nearly four times as many appearances as Martins and well over four times as many goals. Much greater impact on the premier league.

Van Nistelrooy is one of the best strikers the prem has seen. But Henry is definitely the best. It's difficult to argue he's had the greater overall impact.

So, in conclusion: (IMO)

Goalkeepers: Fairly even
    Full Backs : Mine win, by knockout
    Centre Backs: Close, Mitch might shade
    Centre Mid: Mitch has more talent, but i think i've the better combination and balance
    Wings: I think i win. Macca >>Kanch. Duff > Arteta
    Forwards: I think i win quite easily. Henry > RVN, Keane >>>>> Martins

I think my team would be more successful over the course of a season mainly because i'll score more goals. I have a better forward line, imo a better wing duo, and definitely better, more balanced full backs.
    I also have great discipline, fight, determination and experience in the engine room and in centre defence.

I think i'd win the league. I think Mitch would be in the CL places, definitely, but 10-15 points behind.

I'm sure he'll think differently though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Another tough tie, as they all are.

My team is better, obviously :D.

In goals I honestly reckon I have the better keeper, a keeper voted as the best keeper in the league in his premiership season. Yes, he is prone to the odd mistake as Sorrenson is, but i would certainly prefer to have T-Ho in goal.

In the full back positions, I think Jones is more solid than Chimbonda, but that Chimbonda offers more going forward. At LB, I would take Lescott over beresford, Lescott is a tough defender and a very real goal threat. At CB, Stubbs and Henchoz have the experience, but I think the talent in my two CBs in better.

In midfield, I do think there are a lot more goals and creativity. Hamann is a player that I rate, and is easily the best defensive player there. Graveson is a decent defensive player, but not one that i personally rate all that highly. On the wing, McManaman is a decent pick, but I always felt he was a bit over-rated. For a player of his potential, his end product was very poor and I feel he was always a bit lightweight. Duff, is another with potential but is MASSIVELY injury prone and has not been really on his game since his first season with Chelsea, he now has gone years of either not playing through injury or not playing well. I don't think he is a great pick.

Up front, the experience of Keane and Henry probably beats my pairing of Martins and Ruud, but I would still back my pair to hold their own in terms of goals. Keane has more goals overall in the prem, but the goals to games ratio with martins isn't all that much better. I think any lack of goals from my forwards in comparison to whatawasters would be more than made up for by my midfield, which will get a lot more goals and assists than whatawasters.

I really think my team would do better over the course of a season, cause there is simply more goals and more creativity coming from my midfield while i feel graveson and hamann would offer little in regards to breaking defenses down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mitch
    Another tough tie, as they all are.

My team is better, obviously :D.

In goals I honestly reckon I have the better keeper, a keeper voted as the best keeper in the league in his premiership season. Yes, he is prone to the odd mistake as Sorrenson is, but i would certainly prefer to have T-Ho in goal.

In the full back positions, I think Jones is more solid than Chimbonda, but that Chimbonda offers more going forward. At LB, I would take Lescott over beresford, Lescott is a tough defender and a very real goal threat. At CB, Stubbs and Henchoz have the experience, but I think the talent in my two CBs in better.

In midfield, I do think there are a lot more goals and creativity. Hamann is a player that I rate, and is easily the best defensive player there. Graveson is a decent defensive player, but not one that i personally rate all that highly. On the wing, McManaman is a decent pick, but I always felt he was a bit over-rated. For a player of his potential, his end product was very poor and I feel he was always a bit lightweight. Duff, is another with potential but is MASSIVELY injury prone and has not been really on his game since his first season with Chelsea, he now has gone years of either not playing through injury or not playing well. I don't think he is a great pick.

Up front, the experience of Keane and Henry probably beats my pairing of Martins and Ruud, but I would still back my pair to hold their own in terms of goals. Keane has more goals overall in the prem, but the goals to games ratio with martins isn't all that much better. I think any lack of goals from my forwards in comparison to whatawasters would be more than made up for by my midfield, which will get a lot more goals and assists than whatawasters.

I really think my team would do better over the course of a season, cause there is simply more goals and more creativity coming from my midfield while i feel graveson and hamann would offer little in regards to breaking defenses down.

Couple of points:

McManaman no end product? Only Beckham has more assists per games played. That's about as good end product as you can get.

"I wish there are more wingers like him." Sir Stanley Matthews on Macca.

Gravesen is much under-rated going forward. Both him and Hamann are excellent passers of the ball, and i have much more cutting edge out wide which is where much of my creativity will come from.
    I feel my midfield will hold it's shape much better than Mitch's. Lampard can leave massive gaps. I feel he needs two others with him to give him stability and support. Alonso has four and a half years of premier league experience. About half of that time he hasn't performed near his ability.

Duff was an outstanding premiership player for years. Yes, sadly his career is winding down now, but he had plenty more years of quality, with Blackburn and Chelsea.

Advertisement