Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed ramps on the way into tullow

Options
  • 12-03-2009 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭

Bloody ridiculous.

At night time they are close to impossible to see until you're right up on them.

Was doing well below the speed limit last night and didn't see it till I was 10ft away and slammed into it.
    very lucky I did no damage to the car

The markings on the ramps are blue?!
    Blue?! whose stupid idea was it to paint them blue?
    and four cones that are barely reflective at the sides of the ramp..

on the way back I was looking out for them and even then it was hard to spot them..someone is going to do serious damage to their car there if they don't cop on and mark them out correctly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Where are they? Are they only new or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

They are at the industrial estate on the bunclody road. Bloody ridiculous, there is no need for them there whatsoever. There's no pedestrians there and although some people do speed along there, it's not a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

haven't seen them yet. I might go have a look later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

mickos wrote: »
    ..and although some people do speed along there...

Oh yea...I often "heard of" people speeding along there...muppets....:o

I was thinking Carlow to Tullow for some reason, must have a look sometime

i was just over in Tullow but forgot to take a long... doH!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

more of the same needed all over Carlow and tullow and maybe people will learn to respect the speed limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

foggy_lad wrote: »
    more of the same needed all over Carlow and tullow and maybe people will learn to respect the speed limits.

by having speed ramps poorly marked out and too high?

yeah, great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Maybe if someone reports it to the council the might take a bit of action on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

i dont think speed is a problem in carlow county, maybe if gardaí were on the roads where speed and accidents are problems and not on back roads where you can only go 5 over the speed, and you get ticketed. i also see a problem at night with drunk drivers, i ring them and nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They also put ones on the Shillelagh road at the fire station. Real pain in the arse, literally.
    They would have been far served putting the tar used to good use and fill in all the potholes/ruts along the same stretch of road.
    Speed ramps belong in housing estates, not along busy main streets and roads....

• Advertisement

well, I've seen the one on the shilleagh rd. Its actually a Zebra crossing IIRC and its just outside Tullow Health Centre so I've no problem with that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

aynon wrote: »
    i dont think speed is a problem in carlow county, maybe if gardaí were on the roads where speed and accidents are problems and not on back roads where you can only go 5 over the speed, and you get ticketed. i also see a problem at night with drunk drivers, i ring them and nothing happens.
    more respect for the laws of the land is what ireland really needs instead of people thinking they can do whatever they want as this only goes from bad to worse, like having a non-regulation number plate and not getting caught and fined for this can easily lead people to think not having your tax paid on time or not renewing insurance for a month or two will not attract the attention of the police so it is worth taking a chance.

the "boy-racers" that speed around recklessly are perfect candidates for this type of behaviour as they show no respect for pedastrians or other road users and should be singled out for special attention by the garda in my opinion.

just to get on topic here i believe that councils and local authorities have placed speed ramps where they are most needed for pedastrian safety and those that approach them at speed and destroy their cars will get no sympathy from me. the rules of the road state
    A vehicle shall not be driven at a speed exceeding that which will enable its driver to bring it to a halt within a distance the driver can see to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

you picked me up wrong, some of the places they have speeds ramps, they actually serve absolutely no purposes. i have alot of respect for the law. the police have a hard job. but when it comes to speed they seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. like on my road they sit at the bottom of the hill off the round about. its a point where you will naturally by the law of gravity you will speed up. after the downhill its an up hill. there has been a total of about 1 accident in 20 years on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

foggy_lad wrote: »

just to get on topic here i believe that councils and local authorities have placed speed ramps where they are most needed for pedastrian safety and those that approach them at speed and destroy their cars will get no sympathy from me. the rules of the road state

At night, the speed at which you would need to travel to see them in time to slow down sufficiently would be less than 20km/h
    btw, you can see to be clear. the ramp is practically disguised/

approach at speed? :rolleyes: load of bóllocks that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Interesting idea here Alternative to speed ramps
    Would that work in Carlow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I see a lot of people that actually speed up coming towards a speed ramp they won't notice the bump as much and no need to slow down. What they don't know is that the ramp is there to slow them down and that driving over ramps fast will eventually put out their tracking as well as other problems with the front joints. Also driving over ramps at speed and not having the two front wheels hitting the ramp together will cause a lot more problems than tracking.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I see a lot of people that actually speed up coming towards a speed ramp they won't notice the bump as much and no need to slow down.

Are you mad ? :eek: People SPEEDING UP for the speed ramps !!!
    I drive a L200, it has large wheels and plenty of ground clearance and there is no way that I could speed up on those mini mountains, at least not without leaving my head print in my roof and shortening my spine by a few inches.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

These ramps are a danger, I also spotted them very late when they were blue but looking at the skid marks that lead up to both ramps I was not alone. They are now painted white arrows and there is signs on either side but they are very inconspicuious.
    There is now glass littering the road on the ramp furthest from the town where someone has obviosly smashed a window or had an accident due to these ramps. They are extremely pointless.

I just passed them for the first time lastnight.
    I don't think they're high. They seemed normal to me.
    As kwalshe said, they're now painted white so visablity (sp?) wasn't a problem but I did see a bit of the blue paint under the white and it must've been horrible to spot that at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

jaysus i hit that one on the shillelagh road before they painted it. My poor car :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The ramps in and out of Nurney are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

The Shillelagh Rd. one is dreadful! The side nearest to Tullow is MUCH steeper or something than the other side. Got an awful slap the first time I crawled over it-which I really did cos I hate the things!
    The guards are regularly doing speed checks there so most people abide the 50kph limit.
    No problems with it being there as a pedestrian crossing but is it really necessary to leave it so rough??? Not sure what that achieves...

HOWEVER! The worst speed ramps in the whole o Ireland have to be coming into Rathvilly from Hacketstown. Appear to be made froma rubber like substance. They aren't quite as bad now but for years they were REALLY bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They've put one on Main st now as well...outside the Bank. At the same time as the street surface in the area is all cracked. Really makes sense again.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

mfitzy wrote: »
    They also put ones on the Shillelagh road at the fire station. Real pain in the arse, literally.
    QUOTE]
    Yep, I work in Shillelagh - these are a disaster. I was forewarned about teh one out the Shillelagh road (at the fire station) but was driving to work at 4am last week and didn't know/see the other ne one (at the bank there - it was dark and the marking were blue - no other warnings) I hit it about 50km (the speed limit!!!) and I waited for my car to break in two!!! Bloody joke.... So dangerous too - they are just so high you have to drop right to 2nd gear and crawl over them - how is this keeping the speed limit when the limit is 50km??????

mfitzy wrote: »
    They've put one on Main st now as well...outside the Bank. At the same time as the street surface in the area is all cracked. Really makes sense again.

I've seen it all now!!!!!

I would really love to know what d1ckhead came up with the idea of putting a ramp in the middle of Tullow. Has he not already noticed that the traffic is nearly at a standstill because of the pedestrian lights, the zebra crossing (constantly incorrectly used) and the abandoned badly parked cars. Now trucks/tractors with trailers and all other vehicles
    have to practically stop and try to get going again up a bloody hill :eek:

Sorry, nearly fell off my high horse there...

Seriously can anybody give a reasonable answer as to why this ramp was put there?

Otherwise I want to take the aforementioned d1ckhead planner and bounce his stupid head along every unnecessary ramp in the county.
    Am I being unreasonable?

I think mfitzy was talking about Shilleagh but I could be mistaken there. I don't even know if there is a bank in Shilleagh btw.

The reason I think that, is because the "ramp" outside the bank in Tullow has been there for quite awhile and its actually not a ramp, its a zebra crossing.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I think mfitzy was talking about Shilleagh but I could be mistaken there. I don't even know if there is a bank in Shilleagh btw.

The reason I think that, is because the "ramp" outside the bank in Tullow has been there for quite awhile and its actually not a ramp, its a zebra crossing.

I afraid that mfitzy wasn't talking about Shilleagh.
    The local council g0b****es have put a ramp in the middle of the main street (Church Street) in Tullow.
    It crosses the road between the Irish Bar and the Bank of Ireland at the Square.
    So yes ShayK1 you were mistaken ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

wicklori wrote: »
    HOWEVER! The worst speed ramps in the whole o Ireland have to be coming into Rathvilly from Hacketstown. Appear to be made froma rubber like substance. They aren't quite as bad now but for years they were REALLY bad.

Those ramps at the primary school were quite sharp when they were first put down but were made much less severe a few months (and busted cars) later. They're actually quite reasonable (no bother at 30km). However, like most ramps, if you hit them at speed (which some cars tend to do coming down the hill) then that's a different story. I took a good look at them lately too, not rubber-like at all, just tarmac.

You should try some of the ramps around Carlow town, especially Montgomery St and along the Barrow.

Git101 wrote: »
    I afraid that mfitzy wasn't talking about Shilleagh.
    The local council g0b****es have put a ramp in the middle of the main street (Church Street) in Tullow.
    It crosses the road between the Irish Bar and the Bank of Ireland at the Square.
    So yes ShayK1 you were mistaken ;)

You're kidding me??? When did that happen?

Oh wait.... I do remember heading up Old Chapel lane last Monday to avoid road works in The Square. That's a F'ing ridiculous place for a speed bump. It'd be ok coming down the town but going up ...... FFS!

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »

You should try some of the ramps around Carlow town, especially Montgomery St and along the Barrow.

Have you seen the one at Closh Stores? That one is stupidly high.

Advertisement