Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who ya gonna call

Options
  • 12-03-2009 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Phone disconnects internet. After getting new splitters on both lines and paying 100eur for an electrician to rewire phone line it still disconnects...

This has been happening for over a year and I'm fed up with it obviously. Who can I call to fix this?, I'm not with Eircom (UTV phone & broadband). In south Dublin area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Tell UTV of course. If it requires an engineer - UTV will contact Eircom. Why have you not been in touch with UTV before now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

ghostbusters!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's a problem with the internal wiring, then eircom will do nothing, as it's not their problem. If you call eircom out to fix a problem that isn't theirs, then they could charge you for the time.

Disconnect everything from the phone sockets in the house, and leave only the modem, with no filter or splitter. Then ring your number from a mobile and see if it drops the connection. Go through the various sockets, using filters and without and see if you can narrow down where the problem is coming from.

Try with and without a phone connected too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jaws104

I have of course contacted UTV- I was harrasing them for ages until I figured out the problem was with my phone sockets/wiring, as poster above mentioned if it's internal it's not Eircoms problem as far as I'm aware, especially as i'm not their customer

So supposing I do narrow it down to one of the two sockets, then what do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

jaws104 wrote: »
    I have of course contacted UTV- I was harrasing them for ages until I figured out the problem was with my phone sockets/wiring, as poster above mentioned if it's internal it's not Eircoms problem as far as I'm aware, especially as i'm not their customer

So supposing I do narrow it down to one of the two sockets, then what do I do?

You need to have a splitter on EVERY socket where there is an analogue phone....otherwise this will happen - you can also filter at the main junction box, if you know what to do.

• Advertisement

crawler wrote: »
    You need to have a splitter on EVERY socket where there is an analogue phone....otherwise this will happen - you can also filter at the main junction box, if you know what to do.

Already do. Two sockets two splitters

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Why do you think the problem is with the wiring if you've paid an electrician to replace all of the internal wiring and sockets?? If it only disconnects when the phone is used, then the problem lies somewhere with the phone, the filters/splitters and the modem.

Here's stuff you can do: If the splitters aren't doing the job, you could "double up" on each filter. i.e. Where you have

phone>>>>filter>>>>>socket
    have
    phone>>>>filter>>>>>filter>>>>socket.

Also the phones might be introducing an abnormal amount of interference. Buying a replacement phone might solve the problem, especially if you can pinpoint the problem with one of the phones.

Finally, try swapping the modem or router with a modem/router belonging to a friend or neighbour. Your modem could be too sensitive to interference, so using a different modem would rule it in or out.

I probably don't need to mention this but ANYTHING that plugs into a phone socket that isn't a DSL modem needs a filter. Sky boxes especially.

You have more options after these aswell but they're the simplest ones. Good luck.

It is not only when the phone rings, at the moment the broadband line disconnects occasionally for no apparent reason, but always disconnects when the phone rings. It is also an intermittent problem, it worked perfectly for six weeks, now it's bad again. I bought a new modem a while back to see if it was the problem - it isn't

The filters are also new

Today I rang eircom and had them send out their internal wiring contractors 'Telecom Providers Limited'.

He tested both phones seperately - they both disconnected the modem when phone was rung.

He tested the line into the house and said it was bad, signal was bad and alot of noise. 'Phone eircom and log a line fault' - another 100Eur. So despite UTV telling me 30 mins later the line looks fine I have insisted they log a fault with Eircom and get someone up the pole. We shall see

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I didn't realise you had random disconnects also. Sounds like a generally poor signal to noise ratio on the line, as the contractors indicated. Logging a fault with eircom or UTV (as you're meant to) doesn't cost money I believe unless the problem is within your house.

The engineer visit should clear matters up. And those visiting contractors or whatever they were, should have installed a special socket where the modem is, which would have a built in good filter and would also filter all the extensions from that socket. But it sounds like they didn't do their bloody job properly. The faceplate would have definitely reduced the disconnects (but it mightn't have fully cured the problem).

Let us know how it goes!

I didn't realise you had random disconnects also. Sounds like a generally poor signal to noise ratio on the line, as the contractors indicated. Logging a fault with eircom or UTV (as you're meant to) doesn't cost money I believe unless the problem is within your house.

The engineer visit should clear matters up. And those visiting contractors or whatever they were, should have installed a special socket where the modem is, which would have a built in good filter and would also filter all the extensions from that socket. But it sounds like they didn't do their bloody job properly. The faceplate would have definitely reduced the disconnects (but it mightn't have fully cured the problem).

Let us know how it goes!

Yes it only dawned on me after he left I should have asked him about issues running the modem from the socket upstairs. On the phone Eircom had said you should only run it from your main socket - which was news to me. bit pi**ed off i forgot about that:mad:

To be honest I'm not even sure the broadband is running off the upstairs line anymore though. The first guy I had in ran a new cable upstairs from the downstairs socket just for the broadband line, the upstairs phone still runs off the original cable

I really need a laptop or something so I can test the modem when connected directly downstairs. No Wifi unfortunately

More questions than answers at the moment - it really feels like a case of finger pointing between Eircom/UTV/Contractors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement