Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for looking after hens ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Ha ha ha, i liked that one:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Just got a few young chickens the other day..how long do i have to keep them in before i can let them out? also we have fully grown Pekings that are marching around the coop since we got them..we have a house for them but lately they have set up in a bush..they also like to sleep out in their pool all night, will they get along with the chickens when their let lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

ultain wrote: »
    Just got a few young chickens the other day..how long do i have to keep them in before i can let them out? also we have fully grown Pekings that are marching around the coop since we got them..we have a house for them but lately they have set up in a bush..they also like to sleep out in their pool all night, will they get along with the chickens when their let lose?

It depends on how old the chicks are and how long since they were under a heatlamp - if they are less than ten weeks old I'd suggest leaving them out during the day and putting them in at night until they are hardened off. Ducks and hens usually mix well - have they plenty of space to wander around? Ducks are not good about going in at night so have to be chased in or fenced in.

Good luck - if you have more specific problems maybe start a new thread?

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

It depends on how old the chicks are and how long since they were under a heatlamp - if they are less than ten weeks old I'd suggest leaving them out during the day and putting them in at night until they are hardened off. Ducks and hens usually mix well - have they plenty of space to wander around? Ducks are not good about going in at night so have to be chased in or fenced in.

Good luck - if you have more specific problems maybe start a new thread?

'cptr
    Thanks:) They have loads of space..the hens have just got their full feathers, just want to make sure they will go back to their coop and stay within the garden..so maybe two or three day kept in their house would do the trick? One of the ducks devoured a newt this evening:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

ultain wrote: »
    Thanks:) They have loads of space..the hens have just got their full feathers, just want to make sure they will go back to their coop and stay within the garden..so maybe two or three day kept in their house would do the trick? One of the ducks devoured a newt this evening:eek:

The hens will go to bed once the light starts to fall - don't worry about them. As for the newt, he's down the food chain and while I can sympathise with him, he served his purpose. One of my hens pulled a frog out from behind a rock and shook it to bits while eating it in front of my shocked kids. Oh well - thats nature at work right there!

'cptr

• Advertisement
Advertisement