Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

campervan buy/rental in sydney ??

Options
  • 12-03-2009 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

hi all ,
    im in sydney at the moment and we are gonna be heading up the east coast soon , just wondering does anyone have any information on what is the best way to tackle transport, should we buy a van and re-sell it further up north or rent a campervan and drop it off elsewhere north , where is the cheapest/reputable place in sydney to rent a campervan , there are 2 of us and 4 others have already a van rented ??

cheers for the info lads , its much appreciated

regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Buying is a risk as it may break down, or resell could be a nightmare

My friends over xmas rented Juicy http://www.jucy.com.au/weboffer/weboffer.asp?gclid=CLaxq9ednJkCFREXewod6BhQDw

When they looked around it was teh cheapest, it isn't that big either, but they said it was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

We just hired one for a w/e from Britz.

It was the most basic they had but it still worked out about 80 bucks a day.

Really depends how long you want it for.

Several months Id say buy. Re sell is irrelevant if the cost for the time you get it for balances with the cost to rent. Any re sell is a bonus. Break down is a risk of course.

Weigh up how long you need it for and the price you may buy one for compared to what the rental will cost you. Add a bit for just in caseys and then also allow a bit of upside for resale.

You will easily work out the tipping point where buying becomes a o brainer or renting is a no brainer.

Remember if you buy from other backpackers desperate to sell you can screw great deals !
    I got my car off a mate who could not sell it quick enough so I just gave hime the same as what the best offer he got. Better I robbed him than a stranger we thought :-)

have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/

ive geard good things about these guys!!
    great vans for rental and they also sell vans too that are top notch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Pjordanoz

I spent a few years over in oz and tried both approaches.

I bought a van which seemed healthy but ended up stranded in Kakadu, hoping a ranger would come and find us. Sure it may work out cheaper to buy, but there's always this risk. You can buy used vans from wicked, they've generally been well looked after mechanically despite the condition of the exterior.

On the other hand renting gives you the peace of mind that your van is covered should it break and you will get a replacement. Also you don't have to spend a week or two in your final destination trying to sell some knackered old van, whilst you waste all the money you actually make on the sale buying boxes of goon.

I recommend renting, wicked generally work out cheapest if you want a bargain basement van, if you're looking for mod cons I'd say shop around you may find cheaper deals elsewhere. Make sure the comapny you rent from has an office in the place you're going to finish your trip if you're going one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Pjordanoz wrote: »
    I bought a van which seemed healthy but ended up stranded in Kakadu, hoping a ranger would come and find us. Sure it may work out cheaper to buy, but there's always this risk. You can buy used vans from wicked, they've generally been well looked after mechanically despite the condition of the exterior.

Out of curiosity how would have a rental van helped in the same sitaution ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

do not go near wicked... google customer service and breakdowns... notorious:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

ro1798 wrote: »
    do not go near wicked... google customer service and breakdowns... notorious:mad:

The vans are balls of sh1te alright but mine never broke down. It revved so high that you could take off without the excellerator alright but it never broke down. Cheap too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

this is hte best tip you will get, do this

http://www.apollocamper.com/reloc.aspx

relocate a camper for a company, get a big 6 beryh self contained, they even have flat screens and playstations...

you have to call and book, no waiting lists or anything and usually free fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Pjordanoz

You have a far better chance of a rental not being completely knackered when you pick it up. It wouldn't have helped in that situation, I wouldn't have been in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Lads firstly Wicked have a terrible reputation. Secondly, you'd want your head examined to actually BUY an ex Wicked rental since it will have enormous mileage and a history of being abused by all of its drivers.

I rented from backpackercampervans (same company as Britz I think). Wouldn't recommend them tbh. Juicy vans look good and don't they have DVD players in them too?

I agree with what diamondmaker said. basically

long term travel = buy
    short term travel = rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ro1798 wrote: »
    this is hte best tip you will get, do this

http://www.apollocamper.com/reloc.aspx

relocate a camper for a company, get a big 6 beryh self contained, they even have flat screens and playstations...

you have to call and book, no waiting lists or anything and usually free fuel

Those relocation deals are exactly that. You literally relocate the van and don't have two seconds to stop and visit anywhere you are passing through. For example the relocations from Sydney to Perth have to be done in four days which means you need to be driving 12-16 hours a day to get it there. Not worth imo unless you just need to get from A to B as fast and cheap as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

i am gonna be renting a camper for five weeks from next month. i have used backpackercampervans for their cars and would thouroughly recommend it for the cars as they are all from thrifty and dont charge extra for being under 25 and offer the least excess in the event of accident as standard and were cheaper than everyone else. brand new cars from thrifty also. unlimited kilometres as well which some of the big names werent offering.

Saying that its a lot different if i was renting a camper. i do like the look of their campers that i have seen around as they look spanking new and the prices arent much more than wicked for the basic model.

i am unsure about the juicy vans as i think they may be a bit small but they would handle and drive a bit better than the vans. may check them out bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

chris85 wrote: »
    i am gonna be renting a camper for five weeks from next month. i have used backpackercampervans for their cars and would thouroughly recommend it for the cars as they are all from thrifty and dont charge extra for being under 25 and offer the least excess in the event of accident as standard and were cheaper than everyone else. brand new cars from thrifty also. unlimited kilometres as well which some of the big names werent offering.

Saying that its a lot different if i was renting a camper. i do like the look of their campers that i have seen around as they look spanking new and the prices arent much more than wicked for the basic model.

i am unsure about the juicy vans as i think they may be a bit small but they would handle and drive a bit better than the vans. may check them out bit more.

lol ..... and thrifty is ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

The vans are balls of sh1te alright but mine never broke down. It revved so high that you could take off without the excellerator alright but it never broke down. Cheap too
    I had one of their vans broke down on the outskirts of sydney we had it for about two hours at that stage:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

daftdave wrote: »
    lol ..... and thrifty is ??????

thrifty are big car rental place and are all over the world, i say thrifty as you know they will look after you and the cars are new. its just with some campervan rental places that offer car rentals they can be sometime lemons.

Advertisement