Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easier navigation for site - user editable

Options
  • 12-03-2009 3:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Hi

I know a fair bit about vbulletin and I understand it's limitations and so on, what you're bound too with developing for it et all but...
    If there's one thing that's badly missing from Boards.ie, especially with the size it has grown too now with the amount of forums within, is the ease of ability to just quickly access the forums you were interested in or posted in recently, or even the forums you access the most.
    At the moment I have to bookmark the forums I like reading or participating in and I've a large bookmark folder at this stage just for boards but I'm sure it must frustrate new users (and I'm sure some old) to find or access forums on here with ease.

Sure there's the menu up the top but even that's over complicated.

For instance, it took me a while to find a forum again tonight I was interested in reading only yesterday. Had to trawl through the menu at the top of the page to find the "state benefits" forum, which was in Biz > Personal (why?) > State Benefits.

What I'd love to see is user front page feature which can be edited by users to show a list of forums they like reading/participating in. Then that one page can be bookmarked. Very simplistic but am sure can be expanded out to be more aesthetically pleasing, maybe even having a feature on that page to show the last 5 posts in your choice of top ten forums ? etc., etc.,

Themes etc., are grand to improve the look and feel of the forums but the navigation can be somewhat daunting, complicated, confusing and frustrating most of the time - would love to see something implemented that could improve on that.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What you describing sounds exactly like subscribing to forums and then using the subbed list in the dropdown list or using the subbed filter on the home page. How does this differ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Actually I'd forgotten all about subbing to forums :o
    It's still pretty bland though but it'll do for now to help me at least but how about even a feature then to publicly show what forums you're subbed too as links on your profile page (and the option to turn that feature on or off also) ?

Even the blogging addon for vbulletin might be an option with an improvement in that to show your subbed groups ? Your page, you choose what to show etc., ?
    The Front page view fills up with posts from your subbed groups and it might not be what you want, maybe you only want to show the last 5 posts in certain forums ?
    Maybe an improvement to social.ie to have this feature of showing what forums you're subbed too on boards, with an option to show the last 0,5,10 etc., posts from whatever forums you decide ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

You can turn off the feature for it to show the latest posts for your subbed forums on the homepage. Personally I like it. :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement