Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the UK remove the prohibition of Catholics succeeding the crown?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

the Spanish Armada being sent to England on behalf of the Pope, Mary Tudor, when you put it all in context, it is easy to understand how and why the law came about.

Sure, the English had a genuine fear of Spain in particular. As an Irishman I would wish the English had been defeated by the glorious Spanish. As a westerner and fan of the English englightenment I am glad they hung on. The Irish dilema.
    At the moment, it is all just a storm in a tea cup tbh.

We dont want reasonable discussion on the internet, so I disagree fundamentally :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

asdasd wrote: »
    when was that? the secular King of England kicked out the Jews, not the Pope who didnt "control" England at the time. Thats a bit DUP.
    to find out the real reason why the crown cannot marry a catholic you need to look at english history and the church of rome,-1388 wyclif translated the new testament into english, the catholic church was horrified at the possibility that everyone would be able to read the bible-1399 the convocation of oxford passed the statute de heretico comburendum[of burning of heretics] over the next 100 or so years people being burned was a daily thing even at times the victims children made to light the fires -as over the years kings and queens of england kept changing religions when cromwell and the english civil war was over the people had enough, england was then a republic and protestant ,following the execution of charles 1, as lord protector cromwell established a religious toleration - so to stop any more religious killings by kings and queens, laws were made that the throne of england must be protestant and not marry a catholic -remember the pope controled most of the countrys of europe and at that time it made sense-i agree this thing is now outdated i cannot see that if prince william wanted to marry a catholic from the church of englands point of view it would be a problem -but from the catholic churches stance they are the one who will have to change ie a catholic can marry in a anglican church without a problem /but a protestant marrying in a catholic church is --now who is outdated

Advertisement