Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think a UN force would be accepted in NI?

Options
  • 12-03-2009 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Do Republicans think a UN force would be accepted in NI to replace the British Army?
    If not, why not?
    If yes, what is stopping it happening?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/3747904.stm
    According to that article, the British have always blocked it, even when Jack Lynch tried to raise it.

It seems clear that the British Army are not going to be tolerated in NI.
    and that they are the only excuse left for the likes of the Real-Taliban to shoot delivery boys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Do Republicans think a UN force would be accepted in NI to replace the British Army?
    If not, why not?

and that they are the only excuse left for the likes of the Real-Taliban to shoot delivery boys.

There is no excuse for the actions of 'dissident republicans' over the last week. This idea that the British army will 'not be tolerated' is ridiculous, NI is a part of Britain, and thus the Assembly and Parlimant have every right to station troops there.

The idea of a UN force is laughable, given it would probably be comprised of Irish and British soldiers (at least partially). Wonder how the Unionists would feel about that?

Removing soldiers woulld have a negative impact on the security situation in the north and would suggest to the current provo group that the 'way of the gun' might succeed. We spent thirty years convincing Sinn Fein/IRA otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Theres no need for it at the moment, and hopefully won't be any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭SeanW

My understanding is that the objective of the Real ****wits is to get British soldiers back on the streets, and start the the whole thing up again that way. If a UN force were called in to grind these scumbag pieces of s*** into the dirt, that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The thing i was thinking is that, now that they have a devolved parliament, Stormont could issue the call themselves, without the negative impact that the British Government are weary of.

However, point taken that it would be seen as giving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    If not, why not?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/3747904.stm
    According to that article, the British have always blocked it, even when Jack Lynch tried to raise it.

Actully it was the other way round the UN decleared that the conflict in NI was a purly internal problem and was for the British to resolve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SeanW wrote: »
    If a UN force were called in to grind these scumbag pieces of s*** into the dirt, that doesn't sound like a bad idea.
    UN, Brits, they're all foreign, and would all be seen as invaders, which the lads up north want, so that it "proves" that they were right all along. Not something anyone would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

the_syco wrote: »
    UN, Brits, they're all foreign, and would all be seen as invaders, which the lads up north want, so that it "proves" that they were right all along. Not something anyone would want.

And if the Free state army ever crossed the border we would regard them as foreigns to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

junder wrote: »
    Actully it was the other way round the UN decleared that the conflict in NI was a purly internal problem and was for the British to resolve
    Really!?
    Thats very interesting, do you know where I could find out more about that?

junder wrote: »
    And if the Free state army ever crossed the border we would regard them as foreigns to

Nail. Head. Hammer.
    19th constitutional amendment and Good Friday Agreement have democratically clarified that for anyone who would say otherwise too.
    Now if only the RIRA-Taliban could understand that!

Junder, would you mind if I asked you a few questions?
    If they are too personal, feel free to ignore.
    I've just noticed that you tend to have a rather unusual perspective of unionisim and your nationality and I would love to know more about it in a little detail if you don't mind, rather than binary answers.

I only know young Northern Irish unionists who just don't care or didn't before the RIRA Taliban arrived back on the scene anyway and I've never really had a chance to talk to the old generation of Unionists.

1. Do you mind if I ask, what your nationality is, to you?
    2. Do you feel only Northern Irish, or English or Scottish or British or a combination?
    3. How do most of the old Northern Irish Unionists feel, do they have a common unionist identity or is there differing sects based on their original lineage?
    4. Have you seen much apathy creep in amongst the older Unionist generation or do you believe that people are still very much polarised?
    5.Who are the most reluctant unionists and who are the most commited unionists? Probably impossible to answer, but I've heard in the suburbs there is pure apathy on both sides
    6. Do you know your family tree and can you trace them back to the original plantations of Ulster?
    7. Are most of the Unionists able to do this?
    8. Do Unionists feel that Ulster is a provence of Scotland or England for example like like Cumbria or Northumberland shires, or do they see it more like an overseas territory akin to Hong Kong?
    9. Considering the traditional stance of the Protestants in leading rebellions, why do you think there was such a huge reversal?

Apologies if the questions are a little on the stupid side, I just don't know that much about Unionisim because people are usually to busy bickering about what they are not, rather than saying what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH no the UN probably wouldn't be acceptable because you would have the usual suspects querying the religious make up of the force and every other minute detail. Like it or not NI at the moment is part of the UK, therefore their forces should be the ones to keep peace.

These thugs who are the same are the other thugs on the so called loyalist side shouldn't be let influence the way NI has been governed since the Good Friday agreement, they represent no one. As I have said before they are a pack of criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

dan719 wrote: »
    The idea of a UN force is laughable, given it would probably be comprised of Irish and British soldiers (at least partially). Wonder how the Unionists would feel about that?

Around half the Northern population feeling isolated, sure that's never happened before.
    We spent thirty years convincing Sinn Fein/IRA otherwise.

Wonderful, however it has worked - Most of Ireland and Vietnam to name but two places.

• Advertisement
Advertisement