Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Revamp - new worktop

Options
  • 12-03-2009 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Bit of advice requested please.

I'm looking at ideas to give the kitchen a bit of a revamp on the (relatively) cheap as I can't afford new units or knock down walls yet as I would like. I'm planning a lick of paint, new handles on the units, resand and varnish the floor etc and one other thing I'd like to do is replace the worktop and I was just wondering how easy this is to do myself and where the best place to look for new worktop would be?

The existing worktop is in an L shape - about 3 metres long, by about 2 metres the other way. On the long piece it's split into two sections with one of them having the hob through it, the other shorter section has the sink in it (hope this makes sense).

I'd like to get something a bit darker (currently grimy and getting stained by tea etc) but I'm not looking for stone or anything at this stage. Any advice or suggestions very welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Typically you will need a router and a worktop jig to complete the job easily. A router you can hire - but I've not seen a jig in the hire shops. If you look under the existing worktop, you can see how the two section are connected. There are some tips here and you can see the different joints used.

Since the jigs are expensive to buy and you only need to use it once, I'd put that money to getting the job done by a professional. Messing up on a section of worktop can be an expensive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You could just use "joiner" bars, for where the work tops meet.... some will say they don't look 100%, but if all your looking for is a quick tidy up it will be fine. There might be joiner bars in your existing work tops, maybe they could be reused.

Its not too bad of a job.... Just use take out the existing work tops and use them as templates, for the size, hob and sink cut outs....

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭McNulty

Thanks Both.

Dublin Dilbert - when you put it like that as using as a template...so obvious don't know why I didn't think of it. Think the worktop does have joiner bars - they look like steel banks almost about half an inch wide?Happy to keep them in

Think my Dad will have the necessary tools - a bit more handy than I am!

Any ideas on where to purchase - do most hardware places carry them?

Advertisement