Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much does a block layer cost?

• 12-03-2009 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can give me a rough figure.

(The other thread seems to be more for contractor rates throughout the country)

We'll be employing a block layer who will be laying the sub-floor (but not the foundations), building the cavity wall / internal walls & installing the cavity insulation.

It's a 2600 sq ft 2 storey house in rural North East.

Anyone know roughly how much this should cost?

I think I've read different times on here that it's €1 per block, on average, but, how do I know how many blocks there are in a 2600sq ft house?
    If someone could even tell me that, or give me a rough price per sq foot.

It's a basic rectangle shape, (with a 2 storey centre piece protruding at front for porch), no awkward angles, bay windows or anything like that to be dealing with.

Anyone any ideas?
    Thanks,
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can give me a rough figure.

(The other thread seems to be more for contractor rates throughout the country)

We'll be employing a block layer who will be laying the sub-floor (but not the foundations), building the cavity wall / internal walls & installing the cavity insulation.

It's a 2600 sq ft 2 storey house in rural North East.

Anyone know roughly how much this should cost?

I think I've read different times on here that it's €1 per block, on average, but, how do I know how many blocks there are in a 2600sq ft house?
    If someone could even tell me that, or give me a rough price per sq foot.

It's a basic rectangle shape, (with a 2 storey centre piece protruding at front for porch), no awkward angles, bay windows or anything like that to be dealing with.

Anyone any ideas?
    Thanks,
    BB
    €0.80-€1.00 a block is about what they go for. As for how many blocks in a house, thats impossible to know without seeing plans and elevations. If you are planning on going through the direct labour route maybe hiring a Quantity Surveyor would be of benefit. I think in your situation its a false economy not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

See, I figured it would be impossible to know.
    That's why I always wondered what was the point of saying a builder charges X amt per block.
    Still doesn't tell me how much it's gonna cost to build my house!!!! :D
    Thanks Quazzie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm usually the last person to call in the professionals, but I really think that €1k spent on a Quantity Surveyor at the start of the building could easily save over 5 times that over the process of the build. It might seem like a lot of money now but in terms of worth its usually pretty obvious at the end where he/she saved you money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Boozy, they were getting 1.20, but i know jobs being done for 70 cent now!

ive blocked a handful of houses, so im pretty accurate at calculating the quantity of blocks. If you have a scan of the plans i can give you a reasonable est of what a blocklayer will cost.

Thanks V much Snyper!
    I'll find a set of plans somewhere here & PM them to you.
    Cheers! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

better off to work out a rate per the load of blocks,

for example 800 per load, it gets away from bricks, 6" soaps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

hi Gally, can you explain what "per load" means?
    Do you mean per load of blockws bought ?
    I heard from friends that pricing per block is handy coz you know exactly how many blocks have been laid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

gally is pointing out that "€0.80 per block" means even small bricks are 80c each to lay-same as a large concrete block! A load of bricks will have a lot more units than a load of blocks.

If the house is entirely block built and rendered with no brickwork, then it's of little benefit but if there's lots of brickwork you'd rather pay per load than per brick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

It is simple enogh to calculate (QS giving away the secrets lol)
    remember to allow for height below floor; give yourself 1m from Floor level as a budget if you dont know

For a sinle leaf wall 100mm wide

length of wall x height x 9.88 = number of blocks

For a cavity wall with 100mm outer leaf and 100mm innerleaf

length of wall x height x 9.88 x 2 = number of blocks

For a cavity wall with 100mm outer leaf and 225mm innerleaf

length of wall x height x (9.88+20.22) = number of blocks

You dont have to deduct for windows as blocklayers measure straight through when pricing. Deduct for windws if your working out materials cost.

Hope this helps

Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

cheers for that lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Booxybabe, i have that email sent.

Thanks for that Snyper.
    Appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ok, when snyper gets back with the block numbers, you need to be sure what you are getting the price for from the blocklayers.

Some blocklayers will say 80 cent/block. Then will look for extra for cills, lintels, insulation , filling chimney( Some do this work)etc.

Others will say 80 cent/block but will measure the area including window and door opes under say 1.2m wide as there is as much work involved in building the ope as there would be building a wall straight through.

It was mentioned above to try to get a blocklayer to price/load. That would be foolish on their part and ive never heard of that.

Best thing to do really is get an idea of block numbers from snyper, then get an overall price from a few blocklayers while specifically confirming that it includes the insulation, cills, lintels, all damps finished properly etc etc. That is the safest way. and you will have a good idea of price/block from your own calcs.
    Any blocklayer who is not trying to scam you should be happy to give you an overall price based on detailed drawings.
    It is important to be aware that site safety is your responsibily and also should there be delays on site where the blocklayer turns up and cannot do a proper days work due to material shortage or lack of organisation you can expect to pay him extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mickdw wrote: »
    Some blocklayers will say €80 cent/block.
    Holy shit :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

i went to 3 block layers,

one said 10K for the house,

another said 1.30 a block,

last chap said there's 7500 blocks in that house and 1 euro a block, that included all cills etc.

so i ended up paying 1000 per load of blocks 1056 on a lorry, if he need a bale of bricks etc we just ordered it, 6" soap's etc.

worked out v good, n.b. same block layer is now 80 cent per block

Advertisement