Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sql Server Express and Full

Options
  • 12-03-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a pc with SQL Server Express installed and I want to install the full version of SQL (2005) on it but I want to know do I have to uninstall SQL Express first?
    There is a db attached to it that is being used so I am wondering if it will be OK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

Link to step by step upgrade via command line

http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=55

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

I installed the full version but I still have "SQL Server Management Studio Express" under the Programs list and not "SQL Server Management Studio"?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

Yeah, if you didn't install as an upgrade, it will install alongside and you could be opening a can of worms including limits remaining on the size your database can grow to. Personally, I'd uninstall, reboot and run again as an upgrade for the specific instance.

Also, I'd back everything up first, just to be sure. Download Management Studio Express for free from Microsoft as this will give you some basic tools to work with the SQL Express database.

T.

Teamhar wrote: »
    Yeah, if you didn't install as an upgrade, it will install alongside and you could be opening a can of worms including limits remaining on the size your database can grow to. Personally, I'd uninstall, reboot and run again as an upgrade for the specific instance.

Also, I'd back everything up first, just to be sure. Download Management Studio Express for free from Microsoft as this will give you some basic tools to work with the SQL Express database.

T.
    It didn't even install alongside Express, it just isn't there at all.
    I have the full version of SQL installed,I just don't have the Developer IDE, just Express.
    Anyway, I am uninstaling everything under Programs that says SQL and doing a clean install of the developer edition from scratch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You shouldn't need to do that. When you ran the upgrade option it simply upgraded your existing instance. You should be able to run the installer again and pick customise or modify or whatever it is, then pick out the tools you want.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    You shouldn't need to do that. When you ran the upgrade option it simply upgraded your existing instance. You should be able to run the installer again and pick customise or modify or whatever it is, then pick out the tools you want.

Yeah, when I was given a choice between "default instance" and "named instance" I chose "default".
    "Sql Server Express" was one of the choices under "named instance".
    If I had chosen that it would have upgraded Sql Server Express to full.
    No matter, I have SQL Server Management Studio now, after I uninstalled everything from before.
    The only thing is I don't have a maintenance plan option with it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You might need to have integration services installed as well to get the maintenance plan options

Advertisement