Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So do I have Internet Information Services or what?

Options
  • 12-03-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Ive been using ASP for the last while and I decided to try out PHP as Im probably gonna switch to it as I want to use vBulletin on my site. I downloaded php and configured it and then went to configure iis as described on this site : http://peterguy.com/php/install_IIS6.html

However when I go to Administrative tools in the control panel IIS Manager is not visible. I then checked add/remove programs and IIS is availabe for install. I cant understand how Ive been creating asp web pages and running them locally for the last while if IIS isn't on my PC, I mean I had always presumed it was there as how else was asp.net working? Im using Windows XP Pro SP2.

If I dont have it, as seems to be the case can I download it somewhere as this is a second hand laptop thats a couple of years old and I have no Windows XP cd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Maybe you don't have the management console installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Pub07 wrote: »
    Ive been using ASP for the last while and I decided to try out PHP as Im probably gonna switch to it as I want to use vBulletin on my site. I downloaded php and configured it and then went to configure iis as described on this site : http://peterguy.com/php/install_IIS6.html

However when I go to Administrative tools in the control panel IIS Manager is not visible. I then checked add/remove programs and IIS is availabe for install. I cant understand how Ive been creating asp web pages and running them locally for the last while if IIS isn't on my PC, I mean I had always presumed it was there as how else was asp.net working? Im using Windows XP Pro SP2.

If I dont have it, as seems to be the case can I download it somewhere as this is a second hand laptop thats a couple of years old and I have no Windows XP cd.

Are you developing with Visual Studio 2005 or later? Versions of Visual Studio since 2005 have come with there own development server which runs when you run your web app. This is to compensate for people with XP Home etc. which doesn't ship with IIS by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Right click My Computer and click on Manage.

Expand Services and Applications and click on Services.

If IIS is running it will be in the Services as IIS Admin.

Just use Apache instead of trying to get PHP working with IIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Draupnir wrote: »
    Are you developing with Visual Studio 2005 or later? Versions of Visual Studio since 2005 have come with there own development server which runs when you run your web app. This is to compensate for people with XP Home etc. which doesn't ship with IIS by default.

Yep, realised that after I posted and spent the next few hours trying to install IIS without the CD through various methods which didnt work. I gave up after a while and just installed apache.

Advertisement