Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football 13/03/09: real football for real fans

• 12-03-2009 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Be more footballtm. Get out and support an Irish club this weekend.

13 Mar 2009
    Bohemians :cool: 7:45 Derry City Dalymount Park
    Cork City 7:45 St Patrick's Athletic Turner's Cross
    Drogheda United 7:45 Bray Wanderers United Park
    Galway United 7:45 Dundalk Terryland Park
    Shamrock Rovers 8:05 Sligo Rovers Tallaght Stadium

via rte.ie

Bohs v Derry should be good. Could go either way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I expect 10000 at Turners Cross tomorrow night. It will be a bit down on recent figures though. Our fans, "the commandos" will do the bestest "display" ever as well, and we will "outsing" those pesky away fans who will come to fortress Turners Cross. We will play free flowing football, and Denis Behan will score a hat trick, marking the beginning of our latest era of domination. We will also have John Delaney as ref just in case things go wrong at any point during the game for us, as God knows, he has bent over backwards to make sure everything has been hunkydory for us since August last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bohemians 7:45 Derry City Dalymount Park (Draw)

Cork City 7:45 St Patrick's Athletic Turner's Cross (Draw)

Drogheda United 7:45 Bray Wanderers United Park (Home)

Galway United 7:45 Dundalk Terryland Park (Away)

Shamrock Rovers 8:05 Sligo Rovers Tallaght Stadium (H.o.m.e)

May have to place the phone under armed guard tomorrow night to stop me posting shite, as I'll be on the tear from late afternoon. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

22 years. Going home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Good Luck to the Homeless in Tallaght :D

FD Fixtures.

Athlone vs Kildare
    Harps vs Longford
    Limerick vs Mervue
    Mons vs Shels
    Fingal vs UCD
    Wexford vs Waterford

If by real football, you mean fairly poor football the title is almost okay. The term "real fan" always makes me cringe.

Must say I really enjoyed Barcelonas fake football last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

lol Gimmick.

I'll be in the jodi stand with my half united half boh's scarf shaking my shamrock.

looking forward to the Derry game should be a good match and we can't possibly play much worse than last week

gimmick wrote: »

Must say I really enjoyed Barcelonas fake football last night.

Were you at the match? Cool. Looked like a good game.

No, I watched it on TV, like how any self respecting Irish football fan should watch football :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Des wrote: »
    Fingal vs UCD

This might hurt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

CiaranC wrote: »
    22 years. Going home.

I thought Rovers were moving to Tallaght......:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

The term "real fan" always makes me cringe.

its horrible

certainly does them no favours at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Helix wrote: »
    them
    Δ

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I thought Rovers were moving to Tallaght......:confused:

Good man. That's the spirit.

its horrible

certainly does them no favours at all
    I think its a great line. And if it pisses off a few plastics along the way, all the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

stovelid wrote: »
    Good man. That's the spirit.

Eh....? :confused:

I think its a great line. And if it pisses off a few plastics along the way, all the better.

it gives off a ridiculous small time mentality tbh

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Eh....? :confused:

Piss away. Our parade is watertight - for this weekend at least.

No it doesnt, its a good slogan which reminds people that there is real football with real fans right on their doorstep.

Rovers to beat Sligo 1-0 and send the home crowd into raptures.

It's a bit provocative, but it's just an advertisement for real football on people's doorstep, with real == live , which is technically correct. The people that get overly irritated by the slogan probably aren't likely to go to the games anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

No it doesnt, its a good slogan which reminds people that there is real football with real fans right on their doorstep.

Rovers to beat Sligo 1-0 and send the home crowd into raptures.

2-0 rovers. Robinson and Doyle.

Looking forward to it now...

• Advertisement

surely those people are the ones we should be trying to attract to matches?

theres real football with real fans every saturday and sunday morning and afternoon on pretty much every football pitch in the country tho

the whole "real" thing just seems really bitter and pathetic. surely they couldve come up with something that would attract people, rather than push them away

surely those people are the ones we should be trying to attract to matches?

We should be attracting potential young fans to matches. Only a small number of people in their late teens/20s upwards will change tack and become supporters. They might turn up for something like a Shels/Depor game, but won't stay. The people most likely to be annoyed by Real Fan references are established football supporters that are touchy about not attending local games. Unless the team does something like breaks into the Champion's League, most of them aren't likely to change tack, no matter how you approach it.

I'm not saying that in a snide way - people make their choices and fair play - just facing facts.

i see where youre coming from, but i dont really agree with it tbh

the league of ireland has been nothing but a myriad of pr disasters for as long as ive been going, and i dont think this is any different

its like the cringeworthy pats european match ads last term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

If someone won't attend a game cos they don't like the ad, there's no hope for them. Get them while they're young is the right idea.

Quint wrote: »
    If someone won't attend a game cos they don't like the ad, there's no hope for them. Get them while they're young is the right idea.

i completely agree about getting them while theyre young. it should be free for under 10s at all loi games imo

but i think the ad thing will only serve to exaggerate the percieved "small time rubbish" take a lot of people have of the loi. if it was to be presented professionally i think it might at the very least get a bit more respect, and from that respect you might see attitudes changing gradually among younger fans (im talking secondary school age)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Are you Dunphy in disguise? It's one of his favourite sound bites, isn't it?

Though it could be much bigger if it weren't for the blanket anti-Loi mentality that prevails here, Irish football is and always will be 'small-time' when compared to the fantasy stuff on the telly, and specifically compared to the British game.

A bit, in spite of our relentless, delusional boosterism, which really is parochial, like our army, navy, industry, health service, education provision, wildlife programmes, and just about anything else you'd like to measure by British scale, other than corruption of course.

In the real world, in real Ireland, we're real little. Get used to it! :D

Don't go too far down the LO/EPL road lads. I want the thread to stay open so I can post illegible drunk rubbish on it from my phone tomorrow night.

Veering unsubtly back on topic...
    ntlbell wrote: »
    looking forward to the Derry game should be a good match and we can't possibly play much worse than last week
    Agreed. Health advisory: if you haven't been to a game involving Derry before, bring ear protection. They are champions in the word most monotonous use of drums competition.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    D so I can post ineligible drunk rubbish

Inelleigble? Whats inelligible on boards.ie apart from questioning mods? ;)

SectionF wrote: »
    Are you Dunphy in disguise? It's one of his favourite sound bites, isn't it?

Though it could be much bigger if it weren't for the blanket anti-Loi mentality that prevails here, Irish football is and always will be 'small-time' when compared to the fantasy stuff on the telly, and specifically compared to the British game.

theres no need to be drawing comparisons to something that the league cant compete with though, and calling people's interest in non irish football into question by referring to them as not being real fans just doesnt work

im a league of ireland follower, as im an english premier league follower. i attend both, and i know plenty of people who follow both. regardless of how its intended, i dont think snide attacks on people for following another league is a good idea when most people in this country who follow football will support a foreign team regardless of whether they also follow a league of ireland one

wouldnt it have made more sense to highlight the fact that you can follow both, due to friday night and summer football? and draw attention to the fact that increased attendances will see increased percieved quality in the league?

cutting off your nose to spite your face is never a good idea

Inelleigble? Whats inelligible on boards.ie apart from questioning mods? ;)

Damn Firefox spell check. Corrected. :D

Helix, I think you are being paranoid. It is real football with real fans, and its being marketed as such. If some plastics decide that it hurts their ickle fweelings for people to call live football "real" then they shouldnt be following football in the first place.

In other news, im very excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The atmosphere at the Rovers game should be immense. Great occassion for them. Totally jealous :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Along with the entertainment, it's pretty important that Rovers start off with a win. Too often a new ground takes time to get results in if it starts badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I expect 10000 at Turners Cross tomorrow night. It will be a bit down on recent figures though. Our fans, "the commandos" will do the bestest "display" ever as well, and we will "outsing" those pesky away fans who will come to fortress Turners Cross.

Don't be expecting much from Commandos 84 this season, seems to be alot of friction in the group with a few of the "founders" leaving due to some trollocks happening.;)

theres no need to be drawing comparisons to something that the league cant compete with though, and calling people's interest in non irish football into question by referring to them as not being real fans just doesnt work

im a league of ireland follower, as im an english premier league follower. i attend both, and i know plenty of people who follow both. regardless of how its intended, i dont think snide attacks on people for following another league is a good idea when most people in this country who follow football will support a foreign team regardless of whether they also follow a league of ireland one

wouldnt it have made more sense to highlight the fact that you can follow both, due to friday night and summer football? and draw attention to the fact that increased attendances will see increased percieved quality in the league?

cutting off your nose to spite your face is never a good idea
    I follow both too, but I don't think it's in any way remarkable.
    But I don't go along with the pseudo-PC line that we can't use the word real. It just is real, and watching football depicted in pixels on a screen just isn't.
    If people want to take offence at that then they should take it up with the commissioner for word meanings.
    I'd say the reality is that it floats past most completely unnoticed, a bit like everything else to do with LoI.
    It was you who introduced a comparative dimension with your 'small-time' comment, and the British comparison is of course the most relevant and problematic.

Edit: Of course, I fully agree that the quality would improve if more people came to matches and that, conversely, it is unlikely to do so if people stay away because they get their football on the television.

Helix, I think you are being paranoid. It is real football with real fans, and its being marketed as such. If some plastics decide that it hurts their ickle fweelings for people to call live football "real" then they shouldnt be following football in the first place.

In other news, im very excited.

any game of football is real football with real fans tho

I follow both too, but I don't think it's in any way remarkable.
    But I don't go along with the pseudo-PC line that we can't use the word real. It just is real, and watching football depicted in pixels on a screen just isn't.
    If people want to take offence at that then they should take it up with the commissioner for word meanings.
    I'd say the reality is that it floats past most completely unnoticed, a bit like everything else to do with LoI.
    It was you who introduced a comparative dimension with your 'small-time' comment, and the British comparison is of course the most relevant and problematic.

Edit: Of course, I fully agree that the quality would improve if more people came to matches and that, conversely, it is unlikely to do so if people stay away because they get their football on the television.

its nothing to do with political correctness, i cant stand the overly pc world we live in. i just think its an utterly ridiculous tag line for a national league

attempted digs at the epl and its fans wont do the loi any good at all. it just makes it look a bit pathetic, and serves to make loi fans look like they reckon theyre superior or something. its unncessary and a complete waste of an advertising campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dundalks Mickey Collins is available for tomorrows game in Galway after all that nonsense about his registration has finally got sorted. Think Manseram is available too so basically a full squad to choose from. Tough game in store though after Galways impressive 3-0 win last weekend against Pats. Will be happy with a draw.

• Advertisement

its nothing to do with political correctness, i cant stand the overly pc world we live in. i just think its an utterly ridiculous tag line for a national league

attempted digs at the epl and its fans wont do the loi any good at all. it just makes it look a bit pathetic, and serves to make loi fans look like they reckon theyre superior or something. its unncessary and a complete waste of an advertising campaign
    I think it's a good slogan that highlights the home game's unique selling point. It says nothing about EPL fans unless they choose to embrace victimhood. Most people who go to LoI games would probably tell you they do so because it is real. For me, it's an antidote to the simulated, artificial world we live in, especially when it comes to sport. It's got nothing to do with comparing myself with anyone else: in fact, I hardly think of it as the same sport. I don't suddenly feel less worthy when I watch CL or EPL on the goggle box.
    LoI has been far too meek and feeble in putting its message across for decades. Now they've worked out a slogan that captures something a major competitor, which is television sport, can't offer, and I'm happy that they pump that for all it's worth.
    If you have a better slogan, I'd be more interested in hearing that than parroted Dunphyisms that feed the prejudices of those whose sensitivities are in such peril.

I'd be more interested in hearing that than parroted Dunphyisms that feed the prejudices of those whose sensitivities are in such peril.

for me to spew parrotted dunphyisms id have to be aware of what eamonn dunphy says about the league of ireland, which im not.

nor am i a professional spinner getting paid to come up with advertising slogans, however i do think there are more positive things they could have focussed on. theres plenty thats good about the league, potentially inflammatory tag lines just dont cut it for me

its not going to stop me going to loi games, not does it in any way affect my opinion of it, but if they want to end this cycle of being unappealing they need a different approach... again... like theyve always needed

dfx- wrote: »
    Along with the entertainment, it's pretty important that Rovers start off with a win. Too often a new ground takes time to get results in if it starts badly.
    I certainly hope Rovers win tomorrow! ;)

There's something depressing about playing Monaghan. Just the name sounds horrible. They're the Grimsby of the LOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

There's something depressing about playing Monaghan.

It's the being unable to register a point, or score a single goal, in the the 4 attempts up there since demotion that do it. :eek:

Töpher wrote: »
    It's the being unable to register a point, or score a single goal, in the the 4 attempts up there since demotion that do it. :eek:

No, it's cos it's a sh!thole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I was hoping to go see the City v Pats game tomorrow but i have to work tomorrow night. :mad:

It'll be interesting to see how pats do given the defeat to Galway last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, it's cos it's a sh!thole
    Oi ! Patrick Kavanagh is from there and he had nothing but good things to say about it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Monaghan United v Shelbourne

Friday night sees Shelbourne head north to meet with Mick Cooke’s Monaghan United.

Shelbourne overcame a resolute Wexford Youths teams in the first game of the season in Tolka Park last Friday night, by two goals to one, and will be hoping to repeat the result against what is reported to be a much improved United side this season.

While Shels manager Dermot Keely freely admits that he expects the Reds to be competing for one of the play-off positions come November, - having conceded that Sporting Fingal will in all likelihood head the table – he will be going all out to win Friday’s game in a location that has not been kind to Shelbourne since they were dropped down to Division One two seasons ago. In fact, of the games played there, Monaghan have won all four, scoring eight goals without reply in the process.

Keely however feels that he has the players to win this one, citing the quality of the three ‘Premier League’ players he has at his disposal in Dave McAllister “He’s magnificent. He’s a real Premier class players”, Richie Baker “It’s great to have Richie back. You could see the difference he made in the Wexford match”, and Kevin Doherty “we are lucky to have him”.

Doherty, who is not fully recovered from the ankle injury which necessitated him leaving the pitch late in the second half on Friday and has not trained since, may have to play as fellow central defender, Alan Keely is very doubtful, suffering from a chest infection which cut short his training session on Wednesday night.

Darren Meenan serves the first of a two week suspension carried over from last season.

b>,Results over past two seasons:

Shelbourne 1–1 Monaghan United
    Monaghan United 4–0 Shelbourne
    Shelbourne 1-1 Monaghan United
    Monaghan United 1-0 Shelbourne

Monaghan United 1-0 Shelbourne
    Shelbourne 2-0 Monaghan United
    Monaghan United 2-0 Shelbourne
    Shelbourne 1-0 Monaghan United

Look what Monaghan did to the thread!

• Advertisement