Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resi 5 is now a must-buy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

IFY, got it for €40 in Gamestop. Saw it was €45 in xtravision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

i too got it for 40e in game in cork

they tried hard to sell me a strategy guide to go with it..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I like Capcoms pricing policy. 40 euros makes SFIV and Resi 5 pretty much first day must buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

So I'm the only one who likes co-op then eh? hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Cunny-Funt wrote: »

Haven't had a really chance to play it.

Turned it on at 1am last night just to have a peak and died in the section that was part of the demo.

Gonna turn it on and have a bash now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought it was the only unique point of the demo.

How does it work though? If you and me played til halfway through then you fecked off, what, how does it work when you want to pick up and I'm not available?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Cunny-Funt wrote: »

I played through the demo in co-op online with a friend and loved it. Gonna get it today and play through the full game in co-op.

noodler wrote: »
    If you and me played til halfway through then you fecked off, what, how does it work when you want to pick up and I'm not available?
    Good question, I would assume it'd be like L4D and a bot takes over.

I dunno , all I know is when I do play it, the plan is to just play every part together. If I have to go or he has to go, we both stop playing.
    Tusky wrote: »
    I played through the demo in co-op online with a friend and loved it. Gonna get it today and play through the full game in co-op.

Yeah I mean its the only way I found enjoyment from it, it made it into a fun game.

I mean, all you guys are giving out about the controls: how'd yeas think I felt coming from PC gaming to trying out the demo on my new ps3. I was like 'JESUS THIS IS SOOOOOOOO BAD' Its like they based the horror aspect, around how hard it was to freaking move.

But then I played it with a m8 and had a blast as we both worked out how to beat that chainsaw guy together. T'was pretty epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am not saying it was right but the tank controls were always a part of the horror.

I remember in the first one having to go 180 in a tight corridor to get away from a Hunter.

I haven't played Dead Space yet so I can't comment on how much further that game has brought the genre.

Well I played dead space on my PC so I couldnt make any comparison at all. T'was totally different.

Resi5 demo was the 1st 3d shooter game I tried on the console when I got it, so it was aiming with a pad versus m.kb stuff that was annoying me , as well as not being able to move while shooting. But I also didnt like the idea of it being so much of a shooter either. I loved the original game on the ps1 and was hoping for something that. But my ultimate point is that despite all this, I really enjoyed it when I played co-op.

So really, imo, I think you really have to play the game what way to play it at its best.

I thought it was much much better then killzone 2 cause of the co-op play anyway. But I didnt think much of killzone at all tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Excellent game, weapons balance much better than the demo suggested, just the right amount of ammo/scarcity.

Cant go wrong for 40 buckaroos.

The history inserts during loading screens are surprisingly entertaining, its very well polished

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Reminds me of the old debate between the gaming icons Lara Croft and Mario, how come an overweight short plumber in overalls moves with style, grace and fluidity whilst a young athletic strong female explorer moves all the charm of a drunk, on hash? (at least in the pre Tomb Raider Legend).
    How come a fully tooled up, trained, pumped up, experienced cop/paramilitary style operative can't turn properly, can't shoot and dive and roll and any number of other things that an over-ecumbered lunk like Marcus Fenix can do?
    This is the type of thing that Capcom should have fixed in Resi 5, Resi 4 on the Wii at least updated the controls from the GC/PS2 originals, not Resi 5 though, pity...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

If they ever implement running and shooting at the same time they may as well rename it to generic fps clone number 10101010101.There is a reason why having to stop and shoot is in the series.Resi 4 was pretty much flawless but maybe this gen console owners only want Gow/halo/generic fps though they seem to be 3rd person shooters even more these days lol ;)

Resident Evils were meant to suck you into the games atmospheric tension not running and shooting like a loon in above type generic f/3rdps.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i picked it up today.

i traded the sega classic games , that sega classic game sounded like a good idea, but when you go to play them its not quiet as good as you imgained it to be .

i traded that & got the game for 18euro in G.S

i didnt like the demo but im a huge resi fan , i want to follow on any way with the series even though i hate the direction they have take with the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it worth getting?

Is it worth getting?

Yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is it worth getting?

Around 2 hours in (around an hour and a half of that in co-op) and really a far better game than the demo suggests. Still as intense as the last one when you get into it, and while the difficulty curve is initially steep - that bastard with the axe is still very early into the game - you definitely settle in once you get use to the control system. And the inventory system may be annoying (9 items?!) but it actually adds to the tension.

Best part so far though is the
    be the knife
    achievement. Officially now my favourite achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Is it worth getting?

Yes, the demo is way off balance in every respect

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

about 4 hours into the game and still enjoying it!. Well worth the 40 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I made the same mistake i made when i first played RE4. I'm playing it thinking its the run of the mill shooter rather then a Resi game. I should be avoid most of these zombies and saving my ammo rather then trying to kill most of them.

Also i've been shotting them in the chest or head (not close enough though). I should really kneecap and stomp them instead. Might restart it so as I have zero ammo entering the marshlands chapter.

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »
    If they ever implement running and shooting at the same time they may as well rename it to generic fps clone number 10101010101.There is a reason why having to stop and shoot is in the series.Resi 4 was pretty much flawless but maybe this gen console owners only want Gow/halo/generic fps though they seem to be 3rd person shooters even more these days lol ;)

Resident Evils were meant to suck you into the games atmospheric tension not running and shooting like a loon in above type generic f/3rdps.

:pac:

I agree. I would rather they went back to the old style and not the over shoulder. Also, I'm not a fan of the weaponised 'zombies' or whatever the **** they are now.

Actually, one of the most retarded things , which is something I noticed when watching a friend play Resi4, was how the 'zombies' would sprint right up to you, then all of a sudden start walking real slow. The hell? Well that ****s back in res5 too.

So really, I don't think of them too much as resident evil games anymore, just a different game now tbh.

But looking forward to playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS SO GOOD MY EYES ARE KILLING ME FROM TRYING TO STAY AWAKE PLAYING LOL!!! SERIOUSLY THOUGH THIS GAME IS VERY GOOD IM HAVING A BALL IM REALLY NOT A RESI FAN BUT I AM NOW LOL! AT 40 EURO THIS GAME IS SUCH GOOD VALUE LETS HOPE CAPCOM ARE SETTING A TREND OF LOWERING GAME PRICES HURRAH! BEST OF LUCK WITH THIS GAME AND ENJOY I GUARANTEE YOU WILL LOVE THIS!!!:);):cool:

TA,

RAY:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

HURRAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

In two mind on whether to get this or not. I fell like a new shooter and its between RE5 and Killzone 2. Downloaded the demo earlier and there were a few things that annoyed me. Mainly, ammo seems to be far too scarce, Found myself goin through ammo far too quickly before being blown to pieces. I'm tempted, though to just go for it and see what happens:rolleyes:. I guess i was expectin more of a game like GoW and maybe the proper game is. Has anyone felt like this after playin the demo and then got the proper thing anyway? Hve to say as well, the fact its only 40e is kinda temptin too:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Zonda999 wrote: »
    In two mind on whether to get this or not. I fell like a new shooter and its between RE5 and Killzone 2. Downloaded the demo earlier and there were a few things that annoyed me. Mainly, ammo seems to be far too scarce, Found myself goin through ammo far too quickly before being blown to pieces. I'm tempted, though to just go for it and see what happens:rolleyes:. I guess i was expectin more of a game like GoW and maybe the proper game is. Has anyone felt like this after playin the demo and then got the proper thing anyway? Hve to say as well, the fact its only 40e is kinda temptin too:pac:

This thread has what you're looking for:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055492054&page=7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS SO GOOD MY EYES ARE KILLING ME FROM TRYING TO STAY AWAKE PLAYING LOL!!! SERIOUSLY THOUGH THIS GAME IS VERY GOOD IM HAVING A BALL IM REALLY NOT A RESI FAN BUT I AM NOW LOL! AT 40 EURO THIS GAME IS SUCH GOOD VALUE LETS HOPE CAPCOM ARE SETTING A TREND OF LOWERING GAME PRICES HURRAH! BEST OF LUCK WITH THIS GAME AND ENJOY I GUARANTEE YOU WILL LOVE THIS!!!:);):cool:

TA,

RAY:)

Lets hope your caps lock button becomes unstuck ;)

As for the game, I played the single player...and found the stupid Sheva to be hogging weapons and wasting ammo...stupid woman :P...
    Then played with a mate at his house and we just about completed the game in Co-Op :D:)

Its much better with another person, it seems like the game was actually meant to be a co-op game , as single player isn't all it could be.

Alos i couldn't really class these as zombies in the same sense as previous Resi's, riding motorbikes etc. And the truth is there is little to no puzzles, which makes the game a lot more like a generic shooter and less like a survival horror, but an excellent generic shooter at that :):D

I'm happy with my purchase, but could have done with some more zombies (not slightly dry faced ppl who have guns) and of course some more puzzle solving thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

was watching a review of this on youtube and my curiosity has been perked...how do Quick time events work in coop?

I saw a clip of a quicktime event in a cutscene during the review with a biker attacking with a chain and was wondering if both players had to press it or only one, or does the one who did it fasest dodge and the other gets caught in some set up trap?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It depends. During certain events, you both get a prompt to press a button. During others, it's specifically set up so one of you has to press a button, the other usually gets their own QTE button option just after.

When you both have to press it, if one person fails, it's death, you have to do it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

meh

wasted oppurtunity I say

at least for some for competativeness and achievements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

But you're playing co-op, why would you *want* the other person to die? That makes no sense.
    The Records section tracks how many times you die, and at whose hand (which enemy), which is useful if you want to compare with your co-op buddy.

If you want competitiveness and achievements, check out news posts about the new multiplayer modes.

Advertisement