Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can files be recovered from wiped harddrive?

• 12-03-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I posted a few days ago about a broken laptop and got lots of helpful replies. My mother brought the computer down to her friend to fix it - he's not a proper expert, but he's he guy you go to when your computer breaks cos he knows a good bit.

Basically my main worry was that I had a lot of files on my hard drive that I hadn't backed up - because I'm an idiot. Mainly half a novel, film script and loads of other assorted writing that I would sell my soul to get back.

Computer man said that I had managed to wipe the computer completely - no files, no programs, no operating system even. I didn't run any weird secure delete programme or anything - I must have just pressed the wrong button at some point on the emergency recovery screen.

Is there any way that a proper expert could recover the files?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Donkey Kong

there are some data recovery tools that search for images, docs etc. it should be possible. the data should not have been lost not unless computer was re-installed. even then a data recovery program should capture the files.

might be helpful:
    http://www.tech-pro.net/how-to-recover-deleted-files.html

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

If the operating system hasn't been reinstalled, you might have some luck with a program called R Studio. A company on Johnstown Road, Cabinteely called A1 Computers offer this service and have had great success with it, recovering files from a disk that had been formatted four times. If You're technically savvy, you could obtain a copy for yourself but I don't recommend it.

T.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

To somehow delete all files by a few button clicks is impossible. I have drives that I need blanking sometimes and its impossible to do while the computer is logged on to windows as they are protected files. I hope the computer man hasn't actually deleted your data and is blaming you instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

delly wrote: »
    I hope the computer man hasn't actually deleted your data and is blaming you instead.

Id say this is the most likely case

delly wrote: »
    To somehow delete all files by a few button clicks is impossible. I have drives that I need blanking sometimes and its impossible to do while the computer is logged on to windows as they are protected files. I hope the computer man hasn't actually deleted your data and is blaming you instead.

good chance computer man has reinstalled it. not a nice thing to do without making backup of files. have you noticed that your favourites are changed from your browser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

Yeah, didn't want to say as the poor guy can pretty much lose all hope. Sounds like a cowboy was let loose at it and in all probability its now running a cracked OS and missing a ton of drivers.

i'd be pretty stuffed if I lost half a novel. hope there is a hard copy knocking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

If the data is extremely important, use a data recovery service to retrieve it. VERY expensive e.gif, but they can get it back for you. You must immediately stop use the disk and get ready to send it away.

Data leaves a trace on magnetic hard drives and you can retrieve corrupt data and even data that's been written over. It just costs lot of money to get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Thanks for help so far guys, I'm going to send it to the professionals next Monday when I get home.

Incidentally Fugazied, when you say "very expensive" - do you have a ballpark figure??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

This works.

http://www.handyrecovery.com/

It works too well.. unless you've done multi-passes with a specific hard drive eraser (Dban, KillDisk etc..) your data will be there, just waiting.

Best to install it on a different PC and scan the affected drive through an external caddy or mounted as a slave drive on your main PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Teamhar wrote: »
    If the operating system hasn't been reinstalled, you might have some luck with a program called R Studio. A company on Johnstown Road, Cabinteely called A1 Computers offer this service and have had great success with it, recovering files from a disk that had been formatted four times. If You're technically savvy, you could obtain a copy for yourself but I don't recommend it.

T.

+1

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I forgot to say, it is non-destructive, though you'll need spare hard drive space elsewhere to dump the extracted data. Does partial recovery as well, with document files, this can make a difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Monkey61 wrote: »
    My mother brought the computer down to her friend to fix it - he's not a proper expert, but he's he guy you go to when your computer breaks cos he knows a good bit

I used to work on phone support. That's the one of the worst things we used to hear.

Customer: I've got problem X.
    Me: No probs, have that fixed in 10 mins.
    Customer: I brought it to a guy who knows about computers.
    :eek:

It'd frequently turn a 10 minute call into a lot of hassle.

Anyway for the OP, if the drive hasn't been reinstalled and if it's working then there's a very good chance the files can be recovered.
    The first thing to try is to plug the HDD into another computer and run a recovery tool. Getdatabackfat or getdatabackntfs are excellent. But if it's that important to you pay somebody to do it for you that knows what they're doing. At least "hopefully" you can be pretty sure they won't unintentionally make it worse..

If the drive is working it shouldn't be that expensive. It only gets really expensive if they have to recover hard drives by taking them apart.

Advertisement