Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ibrahimović Worlds Best - Fact or Myth

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Like his counterpart Totti and Roma its hes all hype I keep hearing every year how amazing both these guys are but I ahve watched them alot and they have never delivered in the champions league unlike Del piero who was class in his prime

Anyone who has even the slightest knowledge of serie A football knows that Totti is not 'all hype.' The man has been quality, and while maybe that hasn't come across in the two champions league matches you watch him play a season, he is undoubtedly a legend.

I haven't been able to follow serie A as closely this season as I did last year, but Ibra has a phenomenal scoring record for Inter. Had he not come back from injury when he did last season, I think Roma may well have pipped Inter for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

has he not lead ajax,juve and inter to titles?he hasnt produced in the champions league but Inter as a club havent threatened in Europe since 1965.

He is not the worlds greatest striker but surely you would be hard pushed to find 8-10 better.

Just because we cant watch Italian league football doesnt make it bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i for one have always held my position on Ibra as one of the most naturally gifted footballers around, i will not be moved from that position by anything i saw Wednesday night

He has consistently scored and created goals everywhere he went..... this Inter Milan team would not have won 3 consecutive Scudettos without him, it is a fact....the problem with this Inter team is its mentality and age, besides Stankovic, nobody from the midfield really helps out, with the exception of Muntari but he hasnt been productive enough yet. the inter fans have yet to take to him in full but i feel he is a step in the right direction for the club if only to signal its intentions of the type of player they will be going after

Cambiasso, a well known and admired player concentrates mainly on defensive duties, Viera is limited by injury and age as to what he can do on the field which is unfortunate for such once great midfield general.... Figo is well past it and not a starter anymore, then you have Mancini who has not played a game since January due to a difference of opinion with Jose, the wide men that could help Ibra are not being played, partly due to under performing perhaps, but also due to the coach's tactics

Quaresma and Mancini would easily provide more attacking help then Viera or Zanetti, who although deserves his place in the team is also pushing on

for example if inter had lined up like this at home or away they would have quite possibly created more chances and won the tie

Mancini----Zanetti
    Cambiasso
    Quaresma
    Stankovic/Balotelli/Adriano

Ibrahimovic

but Mourinho's fascination of long ball play and suffocating teams doesnt allow it

he sets his team up defensively in the big games this season (yes i do watch Serie A regularly) and imo they have gone backwards under him. If there were more media coverage on Serie A the Mourinho legend would take a bit of a knock imo. The league should be more competitive next season and it will be interesting to see how Jose does when the title has not pretty much been decided before a ball is kicked!

I know i went a little off the main topic and i apologise but i feel its necessary to try show why Ibra is suffering from being in this particular inter team....if he was at Barcelona, Man United or even Athletico Madrid or Spurs he would shine because of the attack minded players around him giving him a hand rather then relying on him to create the bit of magic each time!

He is not imo the best striker in the world, but he is definatly in the top 5 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think what a lot of people just don't realise is his record. His first season in the senior side with Malmo they were relegated but the following season in the 2nd division scored 12 and got them back into the top flight.

Moved to Ajax and won the league in his 1st and 3rd season and finished 2nd in the other two. Sold to Juve and won Serie A two years running. All be it the second was taken off them.

Moved then to Inter and won the league 2 years in a row and is currently top of the league.

Now someone please tell me how a first choice starter and someone who is recognised as the lynchpin of a team win the league 5 years running, and all in all 8 times in a 12 year career, still 27 and bags of time left in him and yet some still class him as crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Great post Iregk.

Also, he's scored consistantly the whole way through.
    And he scores just as consistantly for Sweden (56 games, 20 goals).

Also his overall contribution is much more than goal scoring.
    He usualy gets half as many assists as actual goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I must say I thought he was outstanding in the game against United. As a player who holds up the ball and brings players into the game, he really was outstanding. Better than Berbatov at that role.

However he perhaps just isn't clinical enough to be the best player in the world, and the one thing you would say about Ronaldo last season was that he was devastatingly clinical. Against Inter he got one decent chance and put it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Nobody is saying he is crap just don't think he's the best in the world especially in a week when some of his peers ie messi henry ribery torres gerrard and ronaldo put in fine performances ibra looked distinctly average. But I will admit if he was playing in England people would probably think more of him which shows how blinkered some of us are myself included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

I don't think there is any way you can call him the best in the world until he starts dominating the biggest games on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ibrahimovic is a great player. However, I also think hes one of the most over rated players on the planet. Nowhere near the best in the world in my opinion. In regards to pure strikers I'd have Torres, Villa, Eto'o, Van Nistelrooy...and probably a few others, ahead of him. In regards to attackers in general ? Add the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka etc to that list. I dont think even think hes in the top 10 in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement