Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3pay sim for internet access only?

• 12-03-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭

currently I'm using my meteor pre-pay sim for internet access via my mobile - so this costs me approx €10 a month as I only use it about 10 days a month, but also only get 500mb limit.

I am thinking of switching to bill pay lite, but that means I lose the pre-pay internet option and the billpay lite data add-on for meteor is limited to 250mb a month (fine if you only use the phone, but not if you use it with a laptop).

So, if I was to get the 3pay sim can I use that solely for internet access from my laptop - €9.99 per month / 1gb download? Is anyone using a 3pay sim for internet via a laptop - I assume there are no issues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

This is being posted from a laptop connected via a 3pay sim being used in an N95. It works fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    This is being posted from a laptop connected via a 3pay sim being used in an N95. It works fine

Can't get a more accurate answer than that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

yea it works alright. things like SSH sessions used to disconnect on me before but its not as bad now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ablelocks

cheers. will get one today so, it'll be interesting to see what the coverage is like. on the map, there's a small blank triangle directly over where we live.

ablelocks wrote: »
    cheers. will get one today so, it'll be interesting to see what the coverage is like. on the map, there's a small blank triangle directly over where we live.
    I'd recommend you mention this to the agent in store, as if after buying the 3pay sim you find coverage is really bad when you get home, you can at least go back and advise the same agent of your issue and ask for a refund.

I'd like to recommend calling 3 customer care, so they could check whether the 3 coverage in your area is as bad as the map states, but I'm doubtful they could be of much assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I don't seem to be getting 3g coverage - so is there any point buying the data add-on? What kind of speed could i expect without 3g coverage - bear in mind that I'm used to edge speeds with meteor and would be happy if I could get the same with the 3 sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

You will get no data. With three you will only have data access in 3g areas, if your not in a 3g area then you can only make calls and send texts.

ablelocks wrote: »
    I don't seem to be getting 3g coverage - so is there any point buying the data add-on? What kind of speed could i expect without 3g coverage - bear in mind that I'm used to edge speeds with meteor and would be happy if I could get the same with the 3 sim.

In that case, you seem to be better off with Meteor. Depending on where you are, you might receive 3G coverage with Meteor within the next few months, since they’re aggressively rolling out their 3G network.

Advertisement