Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm cables: what to use

• 12-03-2009 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

Is is possible to use CAT 5 cable as alarm cable or is it essential to use alarm cable?.

The reason I ask is that there is a spare Cat 5 cable between a house and a garage in the garden: client wants to use it for an extension of house alarm

? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Is is possible to use CAT 5 cable as alarm cable or is it essential to use alarm cable?.

The reason I ask is that there is a spare Cat 5 cable between a house and a garage in the garden: client wants to use it for an extension of house alarm

? Thanks

At the job i'm on now the alarm company asked me to link the two panels(shed and house) in outdoor cat5 for them along with my own cabling which i did.but i can't give a definite on this (sparkie only here)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Cat 5 would be fine providing its not been used for anything else also ( eg phone )

Advertisement