Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration

Options
  • 12-03-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭

Could it be made possible that people who register on boards.ie are automatically be registered with Boards.us and Boards.org.uk?

I'm not IT savvy so it could be a big thing to do, I really don't know.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I guess. Although there could be issues if the name is already taken on one of the other sites.
    Also, those sites are voluntary so you shouldn't get more than you bargained for, ie more memberships than you wanted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I *think* that Cult mentions in the past that this wasn't possible.

Maybe ask in the Dev forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I think one or two if the sister sites share a DB. Might be with .jp but can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are a number of obstacles which would need to be overcome in order to do this.

For a start, you'd need to develop some form of plugin which "posts" the new user data to the other system. Simply dumping it into the database wouldn't work because of:

1. Linking userids. Everyone has a unique number which is your userid. This is ordinarily generated automatically by the database. If you were to just dump the data across, you'd end up with 3/4/5/6 different userids, which would need to be linked. This could be overcome of course.

2. Collision detection. Someone might have registered a name on boards.us which hasn't been registered on ie. So someone tries to register say "joebloggs1" on IE, it goes through fine, but the US complains because the user already exists. Balls, what do we do now?

Now there's nothing which isn't overcomeable, but the amount of effort required to get it right somehow doesn't seem worth it.

Advertisement