Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI "during the season" transfer rumours and gossip thread 2009

• 12-03-2009 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

As suggested in the other thread.

CCFC lost 2-0 to Reading in a friendly yesterday. What the point of this game was 2 days before playing SPA in the league I really do not know.

Money issues have also raised their ugly heads again in the last 2 days, making said trip to Reading all the more baffling....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote: »
    Money issues have also raised their ugly heads again in the last 2 days,

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Rumours just will not go away reagrding cashflow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

have to say o'shea is just playing great and was unlucky not to move over to the championship in jan I can see him moving across the water in summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Now there's a surprise.:eek:

• Advertisement

Despicable ****er him. probably the LOI player I abhor the most.

ah well, hes a **** but hes our **** now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

As suggested in the other thread.

CCFC lost 2-0 to Reading in a friendly yesterday. What the point of this game was 2 days before playing SPA in the league I really do not know.

Money issues have also raised their ugly heads again in the last 2 days, making said trip to Reading all the more baffling....

I'm sure Reading owed City a friendly from one of the transfers. They probably did this to fulfill that clause rather than them coming to Turners Cross to play it. Another cheap buyout by Reading.

I hate Reading, a shower of oppurtunistic bastards they are (Especially Coppell)

If the rumours that Tom Coughlan wants to forge closer links with Reading are true than we'll be taken advantage of for the years to come as well.

I hate Reading, a shower of oppurtunistic bastards they are (Especially Coppell)

Why is that? lol ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

have to say o'shea is just playing great and was unlucky not to move over to the championship in jan I can see him moving across the water in summer
    West Ham are allegedly sending over a scout to watch him this weekend.

More bad news from Cork; O'Donnell is out for the season, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

djpbarry wrote: »
    West Ham are allegedly sending over a scout to watch him this weekend.

More bad news from Cork; O'Donnell is out for the season, apparently.

6 months with a cruciate :(

Bet Dundalk are suddenly not so annoyed he didn't sign for them.

Mezeckis supposed to be out for four weeks as well. Hope injury problems don't become a regular thing for us this season.

Thats what happens when your pre season consists of about 3 matches against far far inferior opposition (Galway to one side).

Thats what happens when your pre season consists of about 3 matches against far far inferior opposition (Galway to one side).

Should have come up to play Shels again :)

True, but our new owner does not like traveling for friendly games as he does not like paying for things.

Pat Scully unveiled as new Limerick manager. Could be interesting; Scully has a good record in the 1st Division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

According to the beed, o'shea could be making his was to the hammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pat Scully unveiled as new Limerick manager. Could be interesting; Scully has a good record in the 1st Division.

Glad he found another post. Hope he does well.

stovelid wrote: »
    Glad he found another post. Hope he does well.

Good manager, especially at FD level.

And we're fúcking playing them this weekend :mad:

New Manager Syndrome ffs, ruining our perfect start to the season.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »

Agreed. Couldn't take Rovers any further, and in fairness, he hasn't given out too much about it since which I respect him for.

Just wondering will he try and pinch Price from Rovers. Perhaps even Amond if O Neill persists in freezing him out. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Boo hoo, CCFC signed the contract that had the clause for Doyle in it. If they were stupid enough to do so why shouldn't Reading have taken advantage of it?

And the irony of anyone following CCFC complaining about them being ripped off... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

stovelid wrote: »
    Just wondering will he try and pinch Price from Rovers. Perhaps even Amond if O Neill persists in freezing him out. :(

I'd say ultimately so, but with O'Brien gone, Rovers really should hold onto him at least until Maguire is back with Webb acclimatising..

Not sure if this deserves a thread of it's own (I'm sure it's been discussed before), but I came across this article on the subject of the Setanta Cup. I'm not sure about the precise format that he's come up with, but a straight-forward knock-out tournament might be interesting. There are too many 'nothing' games in the group stages, although that problem has been addressed somewhat this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

And we're fúcking playing them this weekend :mad:

New Manager Syndrome ffs, ruining our perfect start to the season.

Don't worry, we've a much stronger motivation than a new manager to win this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I think Scully is over rated myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

DSB wrote: »
    Don't worry, we've a much stronger motivation than a new manager to win this weekend.

Why is that? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anto McC wrote: »
    I think Scully is over rated myself.

He is limited in the PD, but only because of his unwillingness to adapt. He had plenty of time at Rovers and not excessive expectation but got worse as he went on, though it was his first shot at it.

I'd say he's a great short-term manager to put some fight and fear into impressionable players (at both Kilkenny and Rovers - I remember hearing his teamtalk at his first pre-season friendly at St James' Gate :eek: ), but maybe sometime he'll change with experience for the PD. Long-term on a budget, you can't throw people off buses and have long term tit-for-tats with one of your best players.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Boo hoo, CCFC signed the contract that had the clause for Doyle in it. If they were stupid enough to do so why shouldn't Reading have taken advantage of it?

And the irony of anyone following CCFC complaining about them being ripped off... :rolleyes:

When that contract was signed i don't think many people expected Doyle to develop into such a great player. And it was'nt just Doyle, Long was taken for pittance. Their initial offer for Bennett was pittance. And they were more than happy to take advantage of the financial problems last year to steal away mooney for a cheaper price (one of the best signings the club made in recent years) and but out Doyles sell on clause.

Oh and sorry for complaining. I did'nt think you would be worrying about ironic complaints all the way up there on your high horse.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And they were more than happy to take advantage of the financial problems last year to steal away mooney for a cheaper price (one of the best signings the club made in recent years) and but out Doyles sell on clause.

Had we CCFC not gotten that pittance, CCFC would have ceased to exist on August 18th 2008. In fact, we can be thankful to Reading they gave us €250k, as had they offered €100k we would have had to accept that as well. Plus, our new esteemed owner asked Reading to buy out Doyles clause as he did not have the readies to pay wages for the close season.
    Their initial offer for Bennett was pittance

Football is business, so of course they wanted to get a player at a knock down price.
    Long was taken for pittance

Long, on pat Dolans advice, was only on an amateur deal at the time.

Hate Reading FC all you wish, but do so for the right reasons.

Had we CCFC not gotten that pittance, CCFC would have ceased to exist on August 18th 2008. In fact, we can be thankful to Reading they gave us €250k, as had they offered €100k we would have had to accept that as well. Plus, our new esteemed owner asked Reading to buy out Doyles clause as he did not have the readies to pay wages for the close season.

Football is business, so of course they wanted to get a player at a knock down price.

Long, on pat Dolans advice, was only on an amateur deal at the time.

Hate Reading FC all you wish, but do so for the right reasons.

Don't get me wrong i'm well aware it's business. But it's never nice seeing your teams best players leaving for what you consider to be less than what they are worth. Just seeing them leave at all isn't nice. The fact that Reading seems to be the club who is buying a lot of our better players in recent seasons is why they seem to be a bit oppurtunistic. It may be business but that does'nt neccessarily mean i have to like it (or Reading).

Maybe in the case of Mooney (and Bennett) the money was needed at the time but as long as players in the LOI are being bought for cheap clubs in England will assume that they can buy any player in the league for cheap. On the other hand though it is good to see former LOI players doing well in England.

dfx- wrote: »
    He is limited in the PD, but only because of his unwillingness to adapt. He had plenty of time at Rovers and not excessive expectation but got worse as he went on, though it was his first shot at it.

I'd say he's a great short-term manager to put some fight and fear into impressionable players (at both Kilkenny and Rovers - I remember hearing his teamtalk at his first pre-season friendly at St James' Gate :eek: ), but maybe sometime he'll change with experience for the PD. Long-term on a budget, you can't throw people off buses and have long term tit-for-tats with one of your best players.

I've had this discussion with you before DFX (Least i think i did) and the points you make about falling out with players is a big one. As well as that for as many times as i watched Rovers under Scully last year (about 5/6) there was no shape and he looked lost on the sideline.

Also he done well with Kilkenny eventually but how long was he there?

CCFC wages only partially paid this month. Backround staff not yet paid, Danny Murphy not paid either. Rest of the squad have been paid in full.

We is fooked.

CCFC wages only partially paid this month. Backround staff not yet paid, Danny Murphy not paid either. Rest of the squad have been paid in full.

We is fooked.
    :rolleyes:

Will someone please explain to me how, exactly, Cork City got a licence?

LUCKY_BAGS.jpg

• Advertisement

Because they love us more than anyone else, and we are more important to the league than everyone.

But it's never nice seeing your teams best players leaving for what you consider to be less than what they are worth. Just seeing them leave at all isn't nice. The fact that Reading seems to be the club who is buying a lot of our better players in recent seasons is why they seem to be a bit oppurtunistic. It may be business but that does'nt neccessarily mean i have to like it (or Reading).
    Are Cork in no way opportunistic? It's unlikely that either Roberts Mežeckis or Guntars Silagailis would be playing for Cork now had FK Riga not gone bankrupt last December.
    Maybe in the case of Mooney (and Bennett) the money was needed at the time but as long as players in the LOI are being bought for cheap clubs in England will assume that they can buy any player in the league for cheap.
    But in the case of Mooney (and Seamus Coleman, for example) the fee was reduced because the club urgently needed the money due to the financial difficulties they had gotten themselves into. Contrast this with the deal that Pats did with Birmingham for Fahey. While the money involved is not exactly astronomical, they will at least get a decent return.

Are Cork in no way opportunistic? It's unlikely that either Roberts Mežeckis or Guntars Silagailis would be playing for Cork now had FK Riga not gone bankrupt last December.

They should never have been allowed sign for a club that clearly can't afford them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

FAI aint got no stones!
    But in the case of Mooney (and Seamus Coleman, for example) the fee was reduced because the club urgently needed the money due to the financial difficulties they had gotten themselves into. Contrast this with the deal that Pats did with Birmingham for Fahey. While the money involved is not exactly astronomical, they will at least get a decent return.

The Coleman case isnt helped by the fact that the Sligo Rovers chairman at the time was a well meaning, hardworking *****:o:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

dfx- wrote: »

Short-mid term they could not have got better

manages the way he played!?

Good organiser of a club, will get them tight, disciplined, playing to a style (of a fashion) and hard to beat, seems to have an eye for a player as well!

long term... meh!!

He is like the LOI Red Adair:rolleyes:
    every club should have him for 1 season at some stage:D

• Advertisement

Jaysis Des, it's no harm that Cork players haven't got paid on time. Sure they only got last months wages,last week so why would they need this months money yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

People saying it's crucial for the league to have strong Rovers in there but I think Cork are up there as probably the most important team to have in the league atm.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    People saying it's crucial for the league to have strong Rovers in there but I think Cork are up there as probably the most important team to have in the league atm.

Technically I want them here because they boost the league attendance, and are a counterpoint to the GAA and egg-ball in that part of the country. A town the size of Cork needs a top level team

Doesn't mean they shouldn't go down though. Rules are rules. It didn't kill Rovers or Shels.
    elshambo wrote: »

Good organiser of a club, will get them tight, disciplined, playing to a style (of a fashion) and hard to beat, seems to have an eye for a player as well!

Perfect manager for FD team on a budget, in other words.

We are a farce of a club. At this stage, I hope we are docked 30 points, release all our players, get relegated, and start all over again, as the only other option is the club dying.

Tom Coughlan, our owner, actually believed he could make a quick buck out of the club, by "saving" us from the abyss, sign in some top class players, have us top of the league by June, sell us on for a few bob profit and be a hero in the process for doing so. It would also help his political career no end. May his next **** be a hedgehog.
    Cork in trouble again as Murphy left unpaid

By Neil Ahern

Friday March 27 2009

CORK City's season has been dealt another off-the-field blow after problems surrounded the payment of wages this week, with Danny Murphy believed to have been left without his pay-packet for the month of March.

The former Motherwell and Dunfermline left-back was reportedly the only player not paid on Wednesday, and he was subsequently asked by the club to take a pay-cut and renegotiate his contract down from a two-year to a one-year deal, which he has since rejected.

A fan favourite amongst the Turners Cross faithful, Murphy is now expected to meet with club owner Tom Coughlan on Monday alongside representatives from the PFAI and SIPTU as the League of Ireland is hit with more wage difficulties barely four weeks into the 2009 season.

If there is not a resolution, a letter may be sent to the FAI, after which the matter may be referred to the Association's dispute resolution body and beyond that, Cork could possibly face a heavy fine for non-payment of wages.

Speaking yesterday, PFAI General Secretary Stephen McGuinness said: "This is another situation where a player has to be paid X amount and he is not being paid X amount.

"The Participation Agreement says that any deductions in payment must be agreed upon with the player and verified on a new, signed standard player's contract.

"We have previously written to the club with regard to Danny's situation and we are still awaiting a response. The one thing we need in this league now is contract stability.

"We need contracts to be honoured by the club and we would also like the FAI to row in behind the players."

Murphy said yesterday: "As far as I'm concerned I've got a two-year contract at Cork City at the moment and I'm going to work away for the next two years of my contract."

Tom Coughlan and Cork City were also contacted by the Irish Independent yesterday but declined to comment.

It is an off-the-field distraction City could do without, especially as they struggle to get up and running on the field and they will be looking for their first league win this season at home to Bray Wanderers tonight.

After conceding two extremely late goals at Derry last week, manager Paul Doolin is adamant that his side need to put an end to unforced errors if they are to start climbing the table.

"We have to get it into our heads that no matter how well we play, we cannot concede late goals. There is no mystery other than defending properly, and we have to concentrate and eradicate these mistakes," Doolin said.

Cork have been boosted this week by the news that Stephen O'Donnell's injury is less serious than was first thought.

It appeared that the former Bohemians midfielder's season was all but over after damaging his cruciate ligament, with a lay-off of at least six months originally expected, but it appears now that he may return after three months.

Drogheda United, meanwhile, yesterday confirmed a sponsorship deal with Hunky Dorys, handing the 2007 champions a huge boost as they continue to struggle in the wake of examinership. - Neil Ahern

CORK City's season has been dealt another off-the-field blow after problems surrounded the payment of wages this week, with Danny Murphy believed to have been left without his pay-packet for the month of March.

The former Motherwell and Dunfermline left-back was reportedly the only player not paid on Wednesday, and he was subsequently asked by the club to take a pay-cut and renegotiate his contract down from a two-year to a one-year deal, which he has since rejected.
    Scandalous behaviour, if true; "We're withholding your pay until you accept a cut."

We are a farce of a club. At this stage, I hope we are docked 30 points, release all our players, get relegated, and start all over again, as the only other option is the club dying.

Tom Coughlan, our owner, actually believed he could make a quick buck out of the club, by "saving" us from the abyss, sign in some top class players, have us top of the league by June, sell us on for a few bob profit and be a hero in the process for doing so. It would also help his political career no end. May his next **** be a hedgehog.

I hate to say it but it would probably be for the best. If it would mean this clown is ousted it would be worth it.

Hopefully we can follow Shams example and have the club owned by the fans when this muppet leaves. At least then the club would be owned by people who give a **** about the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

...for a 10th or so time!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Total Income: €2,051,659
    Total Wages: €2,847,596

138% of income went on wages. Limit was supposed to be 65%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Fingal May be handed a 3 nil victory against waterford due to the fact they possible fielded a suspended player. The decision is to be made by the Disciplinary committee this wednesday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement