Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI "during the season" transfer rumours and gossip thread 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Trappatoni attended the Bohs match last night to see Brian Murphy. Nice to see him finally attending a LOI game.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if when the next squad was announced, Barry Ryan was in there amongst the keepers, and not Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

gimmick wrote: »
    Dundalk latest club in trouble? Word is they have asked all members to take a €3k loan to try help out?

Did the game Vs Barca Atletic ever happen?

Thats shocking. Brings back Echoes of Cobh when they went to the players for money. Players being asked to take a pay cut according to rumours.

Think both Mathews and Doolin were wrong. Both teams were terrible, neither deserved to win. Cork had better chances but never looked like scoring really (their finishing wa awful to say the least). Another bad blow for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

monkey9 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if when the next squad was announced, Barry Ryan was in there amongst the keepers, and not Murphy

Be even more hilarious if it was Barry Murphy and not Brian Murphy that was selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

stovelid wrote: »

How many PD teams is that now?

Cork City
    Derry City
    Galway United
    Dundalk FC
    Sligo Rovers
    Potentially Bohs.

That's more than half of the teams in the PD that have had/will have problems paying their players.

Drogs already had their problems, so have Shams. Pats let some top earners go (where's their sugardaddy gone btw?) and who knows what's going on at Bray.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    How many PD teams is that now?

Cork City
    Derry City
    Galway United
    Dundalk FC
    Sligo Rovers
    Potentially Bohs.

You would wonder if Dundalk and Derry are just fessing up now so it gets lost amongst the general shitstorm of recent times with Cork, and soon-to-be Bohs.

Some club is going to seriously fall on the sword. Patience and sympathy (unless you are a pet of the FAI) must seriously be wearing thin with the powers-that-be.

(unless you are a pet of the FAI)

You'd think Derry, and possibly Dundalk, would come under that remit, being "regional" teams. Like Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

You'd think Derry, and possibly Dundalk, would come under that remit, being "regional" teams. Like Cork.
    Jaysus! I'd hate to see how the FAI treats their enemies if Dundalk is considered one of their pets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Fresh plans afoot to develop a new home for Drogs:
    A year after plans to move to a new stadium outside the town ran aground because of planning problems, Drogheda United Football Club is keen on a land-swap deal which could see them move to a new home in the coming years.
    ...media reports are suggesting that the club is interested in constructing a new stadium on a green-field site to the north of the town.

The proposal centres on a possible land-swap which would see United Park, which is in the ownership of the Football Association of Ireland, taken over by the Drogheda Borough Council with a group of UK-based investors receiving a plot of land with a view to the construction of a new multi-purpose sports facility.

According to the Irish Independent, the facility would include a new home for Drogheda United Football Club, with the FAI to retain a majority shareholding in the new stadium.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/loi/news.asp?n=37191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Did they ever get them seats installed that they were suppose to have done in order to get their Premier Division license this season, afaik they didn't.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Did they ever get them seats installed that they were suppose to have done in order to get their Premier Division license this season, afaik they didn't.:rolleyes:
    If they didn't, then I suppose sanctions would have to be imposed on the FAI, seeing as how they own the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

djpbarry wrote: »
    If they didn't, then I suppose sanctions would have to be imposed on the FAI, seeing as how they own the place.

Good one!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fresh plans afoot to develop a new home for Drogs:

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/loi/news.asp?n=37191

Shame they couldnt jump in next door :confused:

Short answer--No. The FAI own the ground and therfore applied for planning permission to install the seats, because they could not be seen to hinder the clubs licence application. The seats however, have yet to be installed, and I'd imagine, will never be installed. As far as they're concerned the planning application is enough.

He has some cheek doesn't he. I would have sacked him ages ago. They've lost 3-0 at least 4 times this season.

Well whatever about the league form they had a decent enough cup run and a good European campaign.

What ever was wrong there with not being able to get the European form onto the pitch for a league game was the killer for him. Was he not up for the league, were the players not up for it? Who knows really.

I think he was being sent packing anyway soon enough and got out before biting the big one.

iregk wrote: »
    Was he not up for the league, were the players not up for it? Who knows really.

I think he was being sent packing anyway soon enough and got out before biting the big one.

Their European run was entirely down to the 'Fabio effect'. I believe his contract was only 1 year long and was up at the end of the year so I suspect you're right about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Looking like Damien Richardson is the new Pat's boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

monkey9 wrote: »
    Looking like Damien Richardson is the new Pat's boss

Well done. ;)

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-bail-out-bohs-1907499.html

FAI bail out Bohs
    Emails reveal struggling club received €100,000 'advance' on UEFA money

By Neil Ahern

Thursday October 08 2009

THE FAI bailed out Bohemians to the tune of €100,000 earlier this season as the 2008 double-winners struggled to pay their wage bill.

Documents, seen exclusively by the Irish Independent, reveal that the FAI gave Bohs a €100,000 'advance' on money due to them next month from UEFA on foot of their participation in this season's Champions League.

According to one Bohemians director, the money received "was secured against UEFA money" as it was "a way around the FAI not being seen to support operations."

The transaction took place in July.

The Irish Independent has seen three email conversations on the matter. Two of them are between Bohemians chairman Robert Dunne and a former board member, while the third involves current Finance Director Chris Brien and the same former board member.

proud

All three email conversations occurred at a time when the Phibsborough outfit were doing the country proud on the pitch, top of the league and preparing for a Champions League clash with Red Bull Salzburg.

Things, however, were not so positive off the field. The club were having trouble paying their wages, while a transfer ban had been imposed as a sanction for operating outside of the league's 65pc Salary Cost Protocol.

In his emails, the former board member expresses his doubts to the chairman and finance director over the club's financial situation and poses a series of questions. All of the emails make reference to the receipt of money from the FAI in order to help the club, with one, dated July 13, directly referring to the figure of €100,000.

The former board member in question asks: "Where in the accounts is the €100k from the FAI is going to go?"

Brien responds: "It won't be in the accounts. They (the FAI) will be paid back from the UEFA monies."

Eleven days later, the former board member poses a similar question to chairman Dunne, saying: "The FAI money. I am very unhappy with this. Over a phone call, this decision was discussed. I imagined we would further discuss this when we met, as in what exactly the money was for.

"It transpires the money is already spent and, although you said we'd make payments in stages to the FAI, they are simply taking it back when we get the UEFA money."

Dunne, in response, says: "The money advanced was secured against UEFA money. It is a way around the FAI not being seen to support operations. What did you want Chris to do?"

Bohs were facing problems weeks before they got the bail-out -- as can be seen from the contents of an earlier, email, dated June 9, in which club chairman Dunne reveals the depths of the Bohs' problems.

He says: "Chris has clearly outlined the financial difficulties we face, especially in the short term -- we cannot pay the wages this week without an overdraft facility from AIB and/or a loan from FAI."

Ireland's domestic league has endured a torrid 2009, with Cork City coming within minutes of extinction in the High Court in July before a last minute deal with the Revenue Commissioners saved them, while Derry City, Dundalk and Galway United have also experienced financial difficulties.

The FAI have stated on the record that they would resist in helping clubs pay day-to-day bills such as wages.

Internal Compliance Officer Padraig Smith insisted in an online Q&A last March that "the FAI has not and will not provide financial assistance to clubs to fund their operational costs".

An FAI official last night said: "We've given Bohemians an advance on guaranteed UEFA monies and this is standard European practice."

The official claimed that that other clubs had been given advances of money due for participation in Europe, but declined to name any.

A Bohemians board member declined to comment when contacted last night, saying that an official statement would be made by the PRO, who was unavailable when efforts were made to contact him.

For fúck sake.

FTA

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fai-bail-out-bohs-1907499.html

An FAI official last night said: "We've given Bohemians an advance on guaranteed UEFA monies and this is standard European practice."

The official claimed that that other clubs had been given advances of money due for participation in Europe, but declined to name any.

I think the above quote from the FAI puts this story to bed.

Just irresponsible reporting trying to make the league look bad again.

Roaster wrote: »

Just irresponsible reporting trying to make the league look bad again.

It's preferential behaviour.

Simple as.

How come the FAI are bailing out clubs left right and centre?

They took over the running of the Celtic friendly for Cork City, on the basis that the money made would cover the "loan" from London. That money was not re-made on that friendly, so who is covering that loan. Staff members still go unpaid in Cork.

Now they bail out Bohs, and Bohs still won't be under the 65%.

It's an absolute farce of a set-up.

Richie sticks his oar in:
    Sanctions could open European race - Saints chief

October 6, 2009

St Patrick’s Athletic chief executive Richard Sadlier believes a fifth place finish – and possibly even sixth – could be enough to secure European football for next season.

Saints currently lie in seventh in the Premier Division table ahead of Tuesday’s meeting with second from bottom Sligo Rovers.

On the face of it, the Inchicore side still face a relegation battle, but Sadlier believes the club is not yet out of the running for a place in Europe, with problems having enveloped top four sides Derry City and Cork City this year.

Speaking on RTE’s MNS programme, Sadlier said: “I think it’s wrong to think if you’re fifth or sixth, that’s us, the season’s finished. I have a suspicion, and I might ruffle a few feathers by saying this, that finishing fifth and possibly even sixth, you’re not ruled out of getting into Europe because of the goings-on at certain clubs who are still in the top four.

“There is non-payment of players’ wages, there’s a possibility that some of them will not come within the 65 per cent [salary protocol] rule and that will be met with sanctions which could possibly include expulsion from European competition next year.

“So I don’t think anyone who gets to fifth spot should sit there and think the season’s finished. Fifth could get you a European spot, possibly.”
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/news.asp?n=37301

Hardly sticking his oar in, he's telling it like it is.

I just wish a few more clubs would do the same, instead of taking meagre handouts to paper over the obvious cracks, and burying their heads in the sand.

Some of the clubs are up shít creek, and won't even admit it.

Roaster wrote: »

If other clubs got 'loans', it still doesn't 'put the story to bed'.

The national association should not be slipping clubs a few quid to pay contracts that they can't afford. Whoever the clubs are.

And I'd like to know if and when these loans are paid back?
    Richie sticks his oar in:

[url][/url]

Why not come out and say it? Makes a change to the old omerta.

And I'd like to know if and when these loans are paid back?

rofl. A Rovers fan getting high and mighty about debts not being paid, I've heard it all now.

Anyway, I doubt if Cork City will be paying the FAI back any time soon, they can't even pay their players.

rofl. A Rovers fan getting high and mighty about debts not being paid, I've heard it all now.

I'm sorry.

I'll PM any posts that are critical of the FAI to you in future so you can post them on my behalf.

Call it posting by moral proxy, if you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

But sure everything's fine at Dalymount. They're going to be full-time next year and it's all a conspiracy against them anyway.

Wonder how much of that E100k went on barmen's wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Anyway, I doubt if Cork City will be paying the FAI back any time soon, they can't even pay their players.
    I'm sorry.

I'll PM any posts that are critical of the FAI to you in future so you can post them on my behalf.

Call it posting by moral proxy, if you will.

You see lads, forget the barstoolers and the general apathy of the Irish sporting public to the league.

You guys spend so much time tearing each other down that the league will never get near the success and prestige that you'd like to see.

On the plus side now that I'm here, you can band together against the EPL follower :D

On a serious note though, I honestly believe that if the various factions pulled together for the league and if everyone wanted others to do well for the sake of the league it would be in a better place. I'm not naive enough to think that it can (easily) happen with the passion and rivalry that typifies the sport and support, but there are enough knockers amongst the non-fans without LOI fans having a go at each other and LOI clubs at every opportunity.

It's clear that the FAIs "management" of the national league is a joke, but what are the methods for changing that? Are there any, or are they free to do whatever they please whenever they please? What would it take for a change of regime?

Iago wrote: »
    You see lads, forget the barstoolers and the general apathy of the Irish sporting public to the league.

You guys spend so much time tearing each other down that the league will never get near the success and prestige that you'd like to see.

As much as the moral superiority of Shels fans annoy me sometimes, I'd take one of them over ten of the 'Irish sporting public'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

As much as the moral superiority of Shels fans annoy me sometimes, I'd take one of them over ten of the 'Irish sporting public'.

which is exactly what you are doing at the moment, but it's not working out too well.

If you don't get the much maligned Irish sporting public on board with the league will things ever get any better for everyone involved?

Again I'm genuinely curious here, what would it take in terms of attendances at games associated sales of programmes, club goods etc. to make the league a success across the board?

What's the order of magnitude required to ensure that each of the clubs stays below the 65% mark, is generally fiscally stable, and can be run in the right way?

Is it a 5% increase? 50%? 500%?

So we do what?

Ignore the mis-doings within the league, never mention them and just let them sweep them under the carpet. Yeah, that's worked out well for years, and it's what the FAI and clubs that are getting dig-outs are trying to do.

I see you've posted again, so I'll get to that in a minute, but I keep getting interrupted in work. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Everything is ok at Bohs!

The board have told us that we will be well within the 65% and that we will definitely be full time next year. Now why would we doubt them. It's not like they have lied before :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

which is exactly what you are doing at the moment, but it's not working out too well.
    It's the fault of the clubs more than anything.

Overspending, chasing that elusive European dream.
    If you don't get the much maligned Irish sporting public on board with the league will things ever get any better for everyone involved?
    One of the main gripes with the Irish Sporting Public is the facilities. So we have a chicken and egg scenario.

Everyone has a nice little excuse, but won't get up off their arse to address that issue, expecting the money tree to build new shiney stadia for them to sit in.

Also, the "I couldn't just start supporting a team". I actually think that's absolute bollox. I know a good few lads who started coming down to Tolka while being Man U, Liverpool fans, but they now are Shels fans too.
    Again I'm genuinely curious here, what would it take in terms of attendances at games associated sales of programmes, club goods etc. to make the league a success across the board?
    You'd probably need about 3.5-4k at every home match
    What's the order of magnitude required to ensure that each of the clubs stays below the 65% mark, is generally fiscally stable, and can be run in the right way?
    Stop paying so much wages.

Simple.

Depends on what you mean by success. Is it making a push into the Champions League/Europa League group stages? Or staying solvent? Being a super-duper club like United?

The problem is that the profligate wages and running costs of some clubs are not matched by attendances. Clubs should be cutting their cloth based on income, and if that means part-time football, so be it. If that means accepting that nobody will ever make a 'breakthrough' in Europe, so be it.

Also part-time and full-time is a misnomer. You could be 'full-time' on a wage far, far lower than some premier division footballers are on at the moment. The issue is that clubs are paying above what they can afford.

Clubs should ideally all be members clubs too.

When clubs find their level, the FAI must (with the help of member fund-raising, local authorities and grants) earmark the development of grounds and facilities as the number one priority. Not wages or abortive attempts to stay into Europe.

As for the attendance question, regular attendances of even 5-6 thousand should be enough to maintain a sensible semi-pro setup at a club. Just so long as some other club doesn't start inflating wages, as has been the case in the last decade or so (Shels, Drogs and now Bohs). This is where strong management from the FAI is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

As for the attendance question, regular attendances of even 5-6 thousand should be enough to maintain a sensible semi-pro setup at a club.

Not even that much. Look at a club like Barnet for example. Crowds of maybe 1500-2000, but they can maintain a fully pro set up. And they do not depend on gate receipts either. Irish clubs have to look that way, that agte receipts can supplement the clubs income, not be the sole/main part of it.

If clubs here could even get 3000 through the gates week in week out, we would ahve a very healthy league here, as sponsors would be easier to get on board that way.

Look at a club like Barnet for example. Crowds of maybe 1500-2000, but they can maintain a fully pro set up.

A difference though thats never factored in is the cost of hosting a football match. I read a couple of years back that it costs roughly 8 times the amount it does in the UK to host a football match over here. Costs from insurance, electricity for the ground and policing. So the expenditure and income gap from a Barnet crowd of say 2k and a Rovers crowd of 2k is hugely different.

That said what will be really interesting now is to see if the FAI have any metal in them at all. Bohs financial structure pretty much relies on them winning the league. Lets take worst case for them and assume that they dont. Even winning it they will break the 65% wage. They can just be thankful for all those gifted players they found amongst the barmen and grass cutters. Prize money lost from them not winning the league puts them under serious pressure but will the FAI give them

a) a handout based on next seasons earnings or
    b) have the balls to relegate them?

I can see another hand out coming in November!!!

Micheal O Neill himself told us that he was astounded at the some of the wage requests from potential signings here when compared with equivalent talent across the water.

Hopefully, this season will go some way to addressing the issue of wages in this league.

• Advertisement

Its not just in football. I've gotten it in work. Interviewing for a position last year and the amount of grads straight out of collage last year looking for in and around 40k for a junior role!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

?

U been it the Liverpool thread when the Manu fanboys are about

U read the English papers online?
    U ever been to a game in Engerland?:pac:
    etc etc:pac::pac:

EPL seems to be doing alright out of it:rolleyes:

Its called supporting a different club and its fairly standard

btw....;):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I don't think we rip into each other as bad as the EPL fans do either.

I mean we all hate the FAI so we're united on that front.

A difference though thats never factored in is the cost of hosting a football match. I read a couple of years back that it costs roughly 8 times the amount it does in the UK to host a football match over here. Costs from insurance, electricity for the ground and policing. So the expenditure and income gap from a Barnet crowd of say 2k and a Rovers crowd of 2k is hugely different.

Insurance and to an extent Police prices here are joke really when you consider all the trouble at games in england over the years compared to here
    That said what will be really interesting now is to see if the FAI have any metal in them at all. Bohs financial structure pretty much relies on them winning the league. Lets take worst case for them and assume that they dont. Even winning it they will break the 65% wage. They can just be thankful for all those gifted players they found amongst the barmen and grass cutters. Prize money lost from them not winning the league puts them under serious pressure but will the FAI give them

a) a handout based on next seasons earnings or
    b) have the balls to relegate them?

I can see another hand out coming in November!!!

The way the FAI messed us around over our budget at the start of the season while smiling and waving Cork and Bohs thru without a care :(

If Bohs get a hand i hope some of the "smaller" clubs have the balls to seek legal advice as it will really be one rule for them and one rule for us time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It's all part of a GAA conspiracy to keep other sports down I tells ya........

It's all part of a GAA conspiracy to keep other sports down I tells ya........

U might have something there:rolleyes:

Last Sligo Rovers chairman (a numpty)
    was constantly saying the S word
    soccer
    :mad:
    calling the Sligo Gaa team the football team and bending over backwards while they just happend to have spur of the moment events at times when we needed a big gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

elshambo wrote: »

If Bohs get a hand i hope some of the "smaller" clubs have the balls to seek legal advice as it will really be one rule for them and one rule for us time

All Premier division clubs got a similar early payment in June. Nothing story.

bohsman wrote: »
    All Premier division clubs got a similar early payment in June. Nothing story.

So, are Bohs getting another one, apart from the other clubs?

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Because its money thats getting paid to the FAI to pass onto us this season anyway. If all other clubs had 100k coming from UEFA Im sure the same would have been done. We're certainly not the first club to get it either.

bohsman wrote: »
    Because its money thats getting paid to the FAI to pass onto us this season anyway. If all other clubs had 100k coming from UEFA Im sure the same would have been done. We're certainly not the first club to get it either.

Ive no problem with the 100K based on the coming UEFA monies
    Thats standard
    Thats sensible

Im on about the possible end of season fudge, the one that looks like its already being prepared

Oh and Where do i apply for one of the upcoming bar jobs in the phibbsboro?

seem like great wages for working in such a small, underused, overstaffed bar

• Advertisement
Advertisement