Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS 'Device' for PC

• 12-03-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for suggestions on a mobile device(phone) that I can receive messages directly to a PC. Something that I can run an automation script or application to retrieve the message from the device. Ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

meglome wrote: »
    I'm looking for suggestions on a mobile device(phone) that I can receive messages directly to a PC. Something that I can run an automation script or application to retrieve the message from the device. Ideas anyone?

I remember doing something like this a long while ago.

Look into AT commands. You can basically send these type of commands to the mobile phone, connected via cable, and retrieve the SMS messages from the phone. I got a great document on the Nokia website, if I recall correctly. Actually, just Googled "Nokia AT commands" , loads of info there.

I did it using Hyper Terminal, manually, as I was only trying it out, but I don't see a reason why you couldn't do it via a script/program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Great suggestion thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

if you're on a Mac there's a brialliant program called BluePhoneElite.
    I use it daily.. Really handy app.

mathew wrote: »
    if you're on a Mac there's a brialliant program called BluePhoneElite.
    I use it daily.. Really handy app.

Unfortunately not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lar84

What type of phone do you have? TheSony Ericsson PC Suite retrieves messages from the phone to the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

lar84 wrote: »
    What type of phone do you have? TheSony Ericsson PC Suite retrieves messages from the phone to the PC.

By the sounds of it, meglome wants to directly access the messages via a custom piece of software, as opposed through a third-party application like the PC Suite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Vista also does this automatically without any other software. The texts appear in the sidebar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Davy wrote: »
    Vista also does this automatically without any other software. The texts appear in the sidebar

Yes but he wants to be able to programmatically do something with the messages once they're copied to the computer, eg forward them on somewhere. He doesn't just want to read them

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yes but he wants to be able to programmatically do something with the messages once they're copied to the computer, eg forward them on somewhere. He doesn't just want to read them

Nokia Text Messenger allows you to receive and send messages from Vista Sidebar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Davy wrote: »
    Nokia Text Messenger allows you to receive and send messages from Vista Sidebar.

Right but you still have to physically be sitting at the computer and manually read incoming messages and manually type the replies no?

He doesn't want to do that, he wants it all automated. Something like those text in competitions where you start your text with a code word that the computer recognises and it enters you into the competition without a human being involved.....I think. That is the type of thing you want isn't it OP?

• Advertisement

Yes i was only thinking of a normal user, as generally all people want is to send a receive texts. Automatic replys is more paying a company for a business setup.

And yes you would have to be at the computer to reply forward whatever etc. If the op gave more info of what he wanted it would save all this confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could also look into some of those broadbad modems, they all come with SMS apps. I'm sure there's people out there who've worked out how to write your own code to interface with them etc.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Right but you still have to physically be sitting at the computer and manually read incoming messages and manually type the replies no?

He doesn't want to do that, he wants it all automated. Something like those text in competitions where you start your text with a code word that the computer recognises and it enters you into the competition without a human being involved.....I think. That is the type of thing you want isn't it OP?

Right I need to be able to have the messages copied automatically off the phone or sms device and handled by another automated process on the PC.

Advertisement