Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Build- baby steps..

• 12-03-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hve been reading here from time to time and despite the wealth of information, I'm still at a loss!
    About to buy a site that has full planning for two storey house, percolation etc.
    I've contacted mortgage broker and he has started putting things in motion for finance.

The current house design isn't what we want. We will want to make significant changes, but the fact that planning has been granted for a two storey is encouraging.

My main worry is what to do next.... step by step. I have no experience whatsoever in this area, so I know nothing. Pub conversations have told me to get an architect and then get a builder to build the house.
    Sounds very simple, and maybe it is, but the prospect is quite daunting, so I haven't a clue what to do.

Can anybody recommend an architect in North Galway, Mayo area who will work with the site and be a little creative. We're not looking for anything too quirky, but We don't want a square block of a house. Hoping to go as passive as possible building approx 2,500 sq. ft.

Do we simply contact architects and tell him / her what we have in mind and let them quote? At what stage am I tied into their service?

I wouldn't be able to go the direct labour route, so I would be looking for a builder to hand me the keys to a builders finish. Is it best to hire the architect to take responsibility for the whole job, or am I likely to get screwed? Should I take the plans from the architect and shop around with contractors myself?

Completely new to the process, so any advice (the more basic the better!) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your answers and patience!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Carefully select your architect . Get references . Look at finished projects . Talk to happy end users . Take your time over this get this part right .
    All of this before you agree € fee .

The right guy / girl will smooth the whole process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭narkymarky

Criss Cross.
    Have to agree with Sinnerboy - references and viewing some finished articles are hard to beat. Yes, an architect will see you through from start to finish but for what you're doing they might not be necessary the whole way through. A good building contractor (a good contract and relationship help too) will do much the same, but will require more input from you.

We are in the middle of building a two storey timber frame house in a suburban location (a slice off an existing homes garden to be precise). We have the frame to roof truss level and blocks to first storey but getting this far has been an education that’s taken 4 years.

You sound to be in a similar position to ourselves re. design. We have something that was basically designed by us to suit us. It wasn't straightforward, there was sketch after sketch, you think you are there and then you realise you've made no allowance for mundane things like radiators (this is probably why you pay an architect!) The architects role has been to draw scale plans of the house and site for planning permission and make the submission. That said we’ve paid initial architects fees of around £3000 and now have a similar amount to pay for a set of detailed plans for the building control application. We’re building north of the border but I think the process is fairly similar either side.

We are using a local timberframe company who took the job on as a complete contract; from site clearance to finished product. Theres a great foreman on site who, to my mind, is bridging the gap between client and builder - every couple of days we meet on site and confirm various details; how do you want to layout the bathrooms, where is your cooker hood going, what style brick etc.. At the same time he's making suggestions regarding positioning of rads, lighting and window openers. Despite looking at plans and organising this for so long, sometimes the experience and knowledge you'll get from someone who’s built dozens of homes is invaluable.

The first thing you should do is get yourselves a pad of graph paper and start drawing. Also, buy one of those 30 or 50 metre tape measures, some bamboo poles and a spraycan of line marker. Go out to your site and draw the thing on the ground – it gives a great idea of scale and also a notion of what windows face in what direction (for light and views) Its also a very therapeutic thing to do when it seems like nothing else is moving forward or that the whole damn system is out to delay you (or maybe thats just me).

This lets you get your needs and wants for the house on paper and straight in your head. When you visit architects take all these drawings with you and let them copy them. They'll have some useful observations but fundamentally ye are the ones who'll live in this house and will need to think about how its going to work for you now and in the future. The other thing I'll say is; see if theres some potential in working within the footprint of the permission already granted (is it outline or full?) It may be easier and cheaper to make an amendment instead of going for full re-application.

Apart from that all I can offer you is the very best of luck, assure you that it’ll get worse before it gets better, but that if its not worth stressing over its not worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Criss Cross

Thanks guys.

Have been busy searching for a suitable architect. Think I have it narrowed down to two at this stage.
    I imagine it's the start of what will be a long journey.

Thanks again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

What many clients can happily do is assemble a scrap book . Website images , magazine pages , catelouge extracts- assemble all your likes ... and dislikes .

A good designer will work with this for you , they can "mix the ingredients"

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Criss Cross

Thanks for that Sinnerboy.
    Have been quoted prices by a couple of architects. Fixed price of €15,000 for full RIAI four stages.
    We'll have to employ a Project Manager also. Anybody any idea what a fixed price for a Project maanger on a 2,500 sq. ft house in the West would be?

• Advertisement
Advertisement