Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK MP expenses reform - will a similar thing be demanded here?

Options
  • 12-03-2009 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7409509.stm
    MPs have finally abandoned their legal fight to keep secret the details of their expenses.
    The Commons Members Estimates Committee says it will not seek leave to appeal against a High Court ruling ordering a detailed breakdown of their claims.
    The court ruled that the Information Tribunal acted within its powers when it demanded details of MPs' second home allowances be provided.
    The details of 14 MPs, including Gordon Brown, must be released by Friday.
    Information on the remaining MPs, thought to number around one million individual items, will be published in the autumn, a spokeswoman for the committee said.
    'John Lewis list'
    It will also comply with a ruling by the court that MPs' addresses must be published except where there are "specific security concerns", she said.
    Heather Brooke, the freedom of information campaigner whose request, along with those from journalists on the Sunday Telegraph and Sunday Times, led to the High Court ruling, welcomed the committee's decision.
    "I am glad that they have finally decided to stop throwing money away on what from the beginning was a hopeless cause," she said.
    "I look forward to the House of Commons embracing a new level of openness in the future and letting their constituents see exactly how they spend their expenses."
    MPs' expenses were criticised when the so-called "John Lewis list" of household items MPs can purchase was published earlier this year.
    Speaker's wife claims 'reasonable'
    Under their "additional costs allowance" MPs can claim up to £23,000-a-year towards the cost of maintaining a second residence, normally in their constituency.
    The list includes £10,000 kitchens and £6,000 bathrooms.
    The original demand for a detailed breakdown of the additional costs allowances of 14 named MPs and former MPs was made under the Freedom of Information Act.
    The MPs included Mr Brown, Conservative leader David Cameron and the ex-Lib Dem leader Sir Menzies Campbell, among others.
    The Information Tribunal said the breakdown should be given, but the battle was then taken to the High Court by the Commons Commission.
    Commons Speaker Michael Martin was himself criticised when it emerged that his wife had claimed £4,139 on taxis - largely for shopping trips.
    But last week, Parliament's standards chief John Lyon ruled Mary Martin's claims were reasonable.

It seems there is some long overdue reform underway on the British MP's expenses.

Are we likely to see a similar measure here?

Surely if they remove medical cards for OAPs, they need to remove unvouched expenses for TDs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Highly unlikely. Seeing as many TD's (as reported in papers today) are awarding themselves an extra 2k due to x amount of years service while simultaneously increasing all taxation and introducing a pensions levy

- it seems to me a government willing to do that cares not a whit for the will of the people.

They KNOW they are getting voted out in the next election so they will do what ever the hell they feel like and pay themselves plenty in the meantime until that election actually occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Jesus H, first I've heard of it mate.

I can feel the rant-o-meter is up to 90 already, Vesuvius is about to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Demanded yes, Implemented not a hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

deadhead13 wrote: »

It's a start, but it seems like they STILL haven't heard of the word "receipt" (except maybe in the meaning "in receipt of brown envelopes"....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What I honestly can't figure out is the issue of 'allowances' for chairing committees (i.e. actually doing their feckin' jobs). If my company were to give me a tax-free expense 'allowance' of €20,000 because I travel to England regularly, we'd all end up in court for tax fraud. IANAL, but surely the Irish government is guilty of tax fraud when they're giving tax-free bonuses to themselves?

Advertisement