Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rewiring old house

Options
  • 12-03-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

I saw an old house from the 60's rewired. It was all with the cables outside the plaster/walls in conduit i think it is called. It looked very untidy to me and I would not have it in my house were a rewire needed.

I wondered if this is norm?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its the norm if thats what the client wanted ( or what suited the budget)
    Maybe the owner didnt want to be re decorating after chasing all the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

there's no such thing as the norm, when it comes to this.... there's various options when it comes to running cables....

There's usually a number of factors which can drive this:-
    Cost (it cost alot to chase a whole house )
    Disruption/Cleanup (re-plaster and redecorate afterwards)
    Lazyness (some guys just want to be in and out of a job)
    Lack of understanding by the customer (some people don't know/understand what they are getting)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think the ESB did a lot of electrical work like this, something to do with not chasing walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭willbur

the reason is that old council houses in the 50/60 where built with breeze block and only 2'' thick so it was not poss to chase it would require replacing all internal walls with stud work and plaster board ,
    some people did not have the money to do this:cool:

Advertisement