Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Guitar Advice

Options
  • 12-03-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I am planning on selling my Jackson DXMG and buying a new more rounded guitar. I find that the jackson is a bit restricting and I bought a few years ago when I was big into metal. My musical tastes and playing interests have broadened and I want a guitar that is less limited.

I am looking for something about 500-700 euro which I could play just general rock and maybe some blues, maybe get some weird electronic sounds goin with my kaoss pad. Been listening to alot of radiohead and jeff buckley recently. doesnt have to suit a particular style perfectly but suit all styles well.
    As for humbuckers or singlecoils I'm open for suggestions.

I was seriously thinking about a telecaster standard....

Please Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

I am planning on selling my Jackson DXMG and buying a new more rounded guitar. I find that the jackson is a bit restricting and I bought a few years ago when I was big into metal. My musical tastes and playing interests have broadened and I want a guitar that is less limited.

I am looking for something about 500-700 euro which I could play just general rock and maybe some blues, maybe get some weird electronic sounds goin with my kaoss pad. Been listening to alot of radiohead and jeff buckley recently. doesnt have to suit a particular style perfectly but suit all styles well.
    As for humbuckers or singlecoils I'm open for suggestions.

I was seriously thinking about a telecaster standard....

Please Help!
    I'd be thinking something along the lines of a telecaster plus...

zbtelePLUS.jpg

Get a standard tele but swap the bridge p'up for a red/gold lace 'bucker. The Lace humbuckers are designed so that you can split them and use either coil, or both coils together. The gold lace sensor coil is along the lines of a normal telecaster bridge pickup (chimey and clean) but the red coil is a lot hotter, good for hard edged rock. When you use both coils together, you get loads of gain!!.

If you do this, you'll have the normal tele neck pickup (for jeff stuff like "satisfied mind"), you'll have the silver coil of the bridge pickup (for clean radiohead stuff and jangly jeff stuff, as well as most indie and post rock) and the red coil for heavier stuff. And you can use both coils of the bridge together for serious gain!! (ie. johnny greenwood solos :D).

Coincedentally, this setup is very similiar to what mr. greenwood uses! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭somerandomguy

Where do ya get these red/gold humbuckers??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Where do ya get these red/gold humbuckers??
    http://lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/dually_series/dually_specs.php

They dont do red/gold though,sadly. But the red/silver is practically the same!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

72 Tele Deluxe might fit the bill...

Advertisement