Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nemanja Vidic best defender in the world

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

eZe^ you should start to watch more United games because to say that Ferdinand is better than Vidic especially this season is akin to Marquez/Milito (although Rio is above these two) better than Puyol which is complete pish posh. Best keep them bold thoughts to yourself man as Nemanja he comes from serbia, he'll f***ing murder ya! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

redout wrote: »
    Best keep them bold thoughts to yourself man as Nemanja he comes from serbia, he'll f***ing murder ya! ;)

Is that before or after he falls over? ;)

Vidic is still one of the top center halves in the world, but today just demonstrated what had been slightly forgotten so far this season - that he is human and humans make mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

eZe^ you should start to watch more United games because to say that Ferdinand is better than Vidic especially this season is akin to Marquez/Milito (although Rio is above these two) better than Puyol which is complete pish posh. Best keep them bold thoughts to yourself man as Nemanja he comes from serbia, he'll f***ing murder ya! ;)

When did I mention this season? I just said overall as a CB I think Ferdinand is more complete and the better footballer. This season Vidic has been better, but that's more down to great form from Vidic and mediocre performances from Ferdinand. I think class wise that Ferdinand is better, and when they both retire Ferdinand will be seen as being up there with the likes of Nesta.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Of course as a Barca fan you would think this. There have been many outstanding United defensive performances over the past three seasons and its not beyond the realms of possiblility in Vidic's absence that others could step up to the plate but to just single two games, one of which was the most scared United performance I ever witnessed where they played a game normally associated with relegation battlers of defend in numbers and hoof the ball does not merit rating them as a top partnership over time and that will be proven if they are both fit to play over the coming weeks.

It wasn't just a single two games. United employed a tight Cantenaccio against and all out attacking side, and when you do that your two CB's are the most important positions on the pitch. Both those nights it happened to be Brown and Ferdinand, and they were magnificent. And it's not because I'm a Barca fan, ask Boggles or PHB, I think they'll agree....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

kryogen wrote: »
    Vidic you are a legend, never change

Especially when playing Liverpool!!!

eZe^ wrote: »
    When did I mention this season? I just said overall as a CB I think Ferdinand is more complete and the better footballer. This season Vidic has been better, but that's more down to great form from Vidic and mediocre performances from Ferdinand. I think class wise that Ferdinand is better, and when they both retire Ferdinand will be seen as being up there with the likes of Nesta.

Here
    I still think Ferdinand is the better defender of the two.

and Ferdinand up there with Nesta ? God no, completely different levels. Nesta when fit is in an elite level with few members, Rio is in a very good level in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Here

and Ferdinand up there with Nesta ? God no, completely different levels. Nesta when fit is in an elite level with few members, Rio is in a very good level in comparison.

I don't think he's as good as Nesta, but he is in that same bracket, he has everything, leadership, finesse, intelligence, pace, everything.

Edit - And Marquez is a better defender than Puyol, the only thing is Puyol brings leadership and passion to the defensive line, but as a pure defender Marquez is better.

I don't think he's as good as Nesta, but he is in that same bracket, he has everything, leadership, finesse, intelligence, pace, everything.

Edit - And Marquez is a better defender than Puyol, the only thing is Puyol brings leadership and passion to the defensive line, but as a pure defender Marquez is better.

Rio makes to many errors (not a huge amount but enough) to belong to the elite level and Marquez better than Puyol I wouldnt agree but thats for the Barca thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It wasn't just a single two games. United employed a tight Cantenaccio against and all out attacking side, and when you do that your two CB's are the most important positions on the pitch. Both those nights it happened to be Brown and Ferdinand, and they were magnificent. And it's not because I'm a Barca fan, ask Boggles or PHB, I think they'll agree....
    LOL, its a cantenaccio when United use it, its called ten men behind the ball and hoof it when relegation teams play it.
    People come up with the most extraordinary stuff to explain why United played that way in Spain. They didn't play that way in both legs by the way it was the first leg I was talking about.

Thats a new one for me now, Rafa cannnot handle the Cantenaccio style of football. Hehe.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rio makes to many errors (not a huge amount but enough) to belong to the elite level and Marquez better than Puyol I wouldnt agree but thats for the Barca thread.

I think its easy to say that when you don't watch some players week in week out. If you just watched Ferdinand in the CL, I dont think you'd have seen one mistake last season. Last season he banished the problems he's had in the past in terms of complacency and imo stepped up to be the best defender in the world.

This season he has let some complacency step into his game. I still think he's a better defender than Vidic, and I think Vidic has some flaws, especially in dealing with movement and pace. However Ferdinand has the flaw of being not top class in the air [take for example the missed header that allowed Ibrahamovic in.
    They work well together as a team. They balance each other out. Much like Evans does with Vidic aswell, as Evans is just like Ferdinand, but not quite of the highest quality yet.

Ferdinand will be the United captain for 2-3 more years and will retire as the Man United captain who won the double. Last year he was our captain, irrespective of Giggs and Neville technically being there. He led our team out, and led them in the game. He justifiably walked up to lift the Champions League title. After Ronaldo and Rooney, he was our best player.

IMO the people who say he isn't as good as Vidic are the same type of people who rate Terry above Carvalho. It's a different conception of the game, and they notice things like last ditch tackles and amazing goal line clearences. I notice the fact that when a player is playing Carvalho or Ferdinand, they rarely get to those stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

PHB wrote: »
    IMO the people who say he isn't as good as Vidic are the same type of people who rate Terry above Carvalho. It's a different conception of the game, and they notice things like last ditch tackles and amazing goal line clearences. I notice the fact that when a player is playing Carvalho or Ferdinand, they rarely get to those stages.

That's a good point. But defences are all about units, aren't they? I think it's a bit silly to say that "X is the best defender in the world", and there are different types of defenders, too. It's all about players complementing each other. Vidic is more the phycial, rough-and-tumble defender, Rio a bit more culutred, tends to read the game more, anticipate things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That's a good point I think. Yesterday's game was a decent illustration of it, when Hyppia was the best defender on the pitch without ever appearing to do anything heroic. The point was though, he made everything look routine because of his positioning and reading of the game.

If you watch games down the lower leagues or attend LOI games you'll see tons of defenders who come across as tough and brave, making loads of blocks and last ditch type challenges. If you're seeing a defender do that regularly though, you can know that he's liable to get cut open at some point. Because he is reacting to what is happening all the time - rather than anticipating what is going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think its easy to say that when you don't watch some players week in week out. If you just watched Ferdinand in the CL, I dont think you'd have seen one mistake last season. Last season he banished the problems he's had in the past in terms of complacency and imo stepped up to be the best defender in the world.

Will you said it all in the very first bit. I rate Vidic so highly because of his consistency. I rate Carvalho too and imo that would be the best partnership in the world if it ever happened.
    Rio can be outstanding at times but he is error prone and thats why I don't rate him as highly as some others do. As you mention its about positioning thats the key with the likes of Carvalho and Ferdinand but the reason Vidic gets so many plaudits is that Ferdinand has gone missing so often over Vidic's time there that he is seen making them last ditch tackles quite often.
    The Champions League is different to the PL in so many ways and Ferdinand's style is probably more suited to the slower more methodical build ups you see in a lot of the bigger games. In the more hectic Premier League he is far more liable to make mistakes.

Carragher is the best for me without doubt.

I'd pick him above anyone tbh, He does'nt get the plaudits in the English press most likely because he turned his back on england, but he is probably Liverpools most consistant player over the past few years.

Always gives 110%. His block on Parks shot in the first few mins of the match yesterday demonstrated his worth to Liverpool.

Vidic is a class act, he just couldnt handle the pace and skill of Torres yesterday. It should give more strikers the confidence to run at him and take him on in the remaining games he plays this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Carragher is the best for me without doubt.

I'd pick him above anyone tbh, He does'nt get the plaudits in the English press most likely because he turned his back on england, but he is probably Liverpools most consistant player over the past few years.

Always gives 110%. His block on Parks shot in the first few mins of the match yesterday demonstrated his worth to Liverpool.

Vidic is a class act, he just couldnt handle the pace and skill of Torres yesterday. It should give more strikers the confidence to run at him and take him on in the remaining games he plays this season.

yeah those painkilling injections torres is on are giving him quite alot of energy. maybe every team should give their injured players those kind of steroids painkillers ;)

Advertisement