Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic Q: Insulating the attic?-

• 12-03-2009 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

This may be a basic question;

if I have some existing insulation in the attic,
    and I lay some more on top to increase it,
    can I:

(a) Lay it perpendicular to the original,
    but does this mean covering the joists means they cant breath?

(b) Should the insulation only ever go to the top of the joists in between them, so that the joist wood is exposed and can breath?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

What type of insulation do you have already ? Fibreglass ?

If so there is no problem with putting another layer on top that runs over the top of the joists.... Likely a good idea as 400mm fibreglass seems to be what people advise...

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If the two insulaton types are the same it is a good idea to run between the run joists then perpindicular over the joists. This is the best way to insulate using Fiberglass and actually prevents Thermal bridging through the joists.

If they are different type it might be worth post the two types to see if there is any breathing issues with them.

Advertisement