Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

house specification am i missing something

• 12-03-2009 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Have a look have i missed anything:confused:
    Georgian style storey and a half block construction
    Insulation
    Walls: 100mm insulation (Kingspan/Quinn/Xtratherm) in a 150mm cavity with 100mm plastered inner leaf (for air tightness) and 100mm rendered outer leaf
    Flat Ceiling:160mm (2 x 80mm) between ceiling joists, insulated plasterboard
    Sloping Ceiling:140mm (2 x 70mm) between rafters, insulated plasterboard
    Concrete floor: 80mm below screed
    Underfloor heating with oil burner (can’t afford anything else at mo will change later)
    Schiedel Chimney Systems a sealed from room system (no draughts no loss of room heat)
    Wooden Sash and Case windows, double glazed with sealing system.
    Wooden doors
    pos mvhr

Does this sound like a reasonably efficient and warm house

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Can you please clean it up so its legible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

What's the required gap between the insulation and the membrane on sloped ceilings.... 40 or 50 mm ?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 trevboy

Sorry new to this

1) Think i cleaned it up, didnt like cut and paste :(

2) 50 mm gap required between insulation and membrane

Any advice happily received :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

0.15 u value for UFH so at least double insulation there

Download relevant Acceptable Details here for junctions and openings details - the insulation layers must be as far as possible - continuous

http://www.environ.ie/en/TGD/

Aim for air tightness min 0.5 - and install HRV

You will need a min amount of renewables - look here

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,19069,en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

A BER assessor will be able to assess your house properly and give it an energy rating. Check http://193.178.2.42/SearchAssessors.aspx edit: syd for a list of assessors in your area

Edit:

waraf...

the proper location for a list of assessors is the SEI website.

To link to that organisation may be seen as promoting one organisation over another, which is not allowed on this forum.

This should be noted by other posters as well, please.

Syd

• Advertisement

^ + 100% aggree

just the sort of info i am looking for

should have said that i'm building in Fermanagh

Any further advice or links would be appreciated

If i double up the ground floor insulation and reduce air leakage as much as i can is this a good specification, or do i need to beef it up anywhere else.

not familiar with NI regs - but no matter following the ROI details won't see you go far wrong

A 150 wall cavity will require that a structural engineer certifies that cavity

if going oil boiler - do so by reference to this data base - make sure you get the most efficient type

http://www.sei.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_Assessors/Technical/HARP_Database/Boiler_Search_Page/

For HRV units - search hear

http://www.sap-appendixq.org.uk/search.jsp

Thanks Sinnerboy

Amazing I would not have found all this detail

If anyone else has any ideas please feel free to chip in

Glad i posted :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

Will you keep in touch . I am at the same point as you. I am using the same as you ( balanced flue system for 2 sotves in two rooms and sash windows with HRV and insulation). I am interested in your costings on the flue and HRV.The airtightness is critical for the HRVto be efficient .If your airtightness is very good as i am trying to do with two stoves in the house, then why not encorportate solar power into the water/heating and possibly into the HRV.
    PM me if you can

trevboy wrote: »
    Have a look have i missed anything:confused:
    Georgian style storey and a half block construction
    Insulation
    Walls: 100mm insulation (Kingspan/Quinn/Xtratherm) in a 150mm cavity with 100mm plastered inner leaf (for air tightness) and 100mm rendered outer leaf
    Flat Ceiling:160mm (2 x 80mm) between ceiling joists, insulated plasterboard
    Sloping Ceiling:140mm (2 x 70mm) between rafters, insulated plasterboard
    Concrete floor: 80mm below screed
    Underfloor heating with oil burner (can’t afford anything else at mo will change later)
    Schiedel Chimney Systems a sealed from room system (no draughts no loss of room heat)
    Wooden Sash and Case windows, double glazed with sealing system.
    Wooden doors
    pos mvhr

Does this sound like a reasonably efficient and warm house

• Advertisement

Hi PJMCKE

Will keep in touch only getting my ideas together

No prices as yet

Need to sell house so start may be delayed by this

Will PM but not sure how just yet.:confused:

Advertisement