Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Storm 9500 or Nokia 5800

• 12-03-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

i'm getting a new phone at the weekend and don't know which of the above to get.

i really only use my phone for calling people and texting but i'd like a really nice phone for a change.

what do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

i'm getting a new phone at the weekend and don't know which of the above to get.

i really only use my phone for calling people and texting but i'd like a really nice phone for a change.

what do you guys think?

Well then stay away from the Storm. I know of two people who have had them, one a techie-type, one not, and both think the Storm is a piece of dung.

TBH, you would be better off trying out the Nokia (or any other touchscreen, for that matter) before you buy it. If you haven't used one before, and if you are only using it to make calls/send texts, then a touchscreen may not suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

thanks tom. i kind've like the look of the nokia 6124 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I agree with Tom; try before you buy. Touchscreen handsets, although very popular, are an acquired taste. I prefer actual buttons, as opposed to the touchscreen variety, and from your posts, I’d say you might be more suited to a non-touchscreen handset. If you’re still interested in a touchscreen handset though, the Samsung Tocco and LG Viewty are quite popular and get good reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Just off loaded my Bolloxberry Storm ....yes Touchscreens are a acquired taste but the Storm was a nightmare , screen movement (portrait to landscape) disasterious , generally felt it was a rushed product to compete with iphone.

Google the Storm and read the reviews , that should make your mind up for you .

My 2 pence worth

thanks everyone for your advice.

• Advertisement

mixednuts wrote: »
    generally felt it was a rushed product to compete with iphone.

Nothing can compete with the iPhone.

*runs for cover*

:D

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Nothing can compete with the iPhone.

*runs for cover*

:D
    You had better be well protected under your cover Tom, because the anti-iPhone brigade will get you good! :cool:

so i'll buy an iphone then!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Not if you send picture messages:rolleyes:

over-rated units of excrement *runs opposite direction away from apple fanboys*

Rsaeire wrote: »
    You had better be well protected under your cover Tom, because the anti-iPhone brigade will get you good! :cool:

It's ok, it's safe under here.

Do me one favour, research it thoroughly if you are seriously considering it.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It's ok, it's safe under here.

Do me one favour, research it thoroughly if you are seriously considering it.

no i wouldn't dream of buying one. i'm going to go to the vodafone shop tomorrow and have a look and a feel of them and then order one on the internet!

no i wouldn't dream of buying one. i'm going to go to the vodafone shop tomorrow and have a look and a feel of them and then order one on the internet!

Let us know how you get on and whether you chose a touchscreen or non-touchscreen handset. ;)

will do and thanks again for the advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

We got outfitted with BlackBerries recently in work. Management got the Storm's, while us regular workers got the Pearl. Having had a go of the Storm, i'd happily keep my Pearl if offered one.

another question, i have a motorola bluetooth headset for my nokia 6300, will i be able to use that with any new phone i get or only certain models?

another question, i have a motorola bluetooth headset for my nokia 6300, will i be able to use that with any new phone i get or only certain models?

Bluetooth is a standard across all phones, so your headset will work with whatever new phone you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Couple of comments.

I had the use of a Blackberry pearl for a few weeks - to try it out. I did not like the feeling I got when making calls. I googled radiation and blackberry pearl and discovered their radiation levels are more the twice that of the nokia 6300 I had been using. This is a well known issue. The blackberries are within the legal limits but they are close to the limits. Nokias seem to be much lower.
    SAR is the measurement of radiation. I know some will think this is scaremongering but I did not like using the blackberry - and this was why I started searching.

There are two good phones on the way.
    The HTC Magic - will be with Vodafone - hopefully this summer, in UK in April.
    This uses googles's Android operating system. Its the G1 without the keyboard and some improvements.
    The Palm Pre. The early info on this makes it sound like the phone I have been waiting for. I had two palm pdas and have had nothing better since. This will be a pda, music player and phone. I am waiting for the Pre. Supposed to be out this summer.

As for Bluetooth, all bluetooth systems are not the same. There seem to be bluetooth variants. The blackberry pearl worked with my nokia bluetooth car kit but not as good as the nokia phone. The sound was a bit distorted and for the person on the other end there was a lot of echo.
    I remember reading that the iphone bluetooth could not talk to apple mac bluetooth which is daft.

well i went to two phone shops on saturday and had a look at different phones. glad i did cos it changed my mind about the nokia 5800 and the nokia 6124. i'm back to square one on which phone to get. thinking about the nokia E51 now.

well i went to two phone shops on saturday and had a look at different phones. glad i did cos it changed my mind about the nokia 5800 and the nokia 6124. i'm back to square one on which phone to get. thinking about the nokia E51 now.

The E51 is a good handset, but I find the screen too small for my linking. In saying that, you can increase the font size for text messages, so it might be fine for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

I agree with Boardswalker on the Palm Pre. It looks like exactly the phone I've been looking for. Just hope it's not mega expensive. €300 or so would be ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement