Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile with tv

• 12-03-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

anyone with some sort of experience with that chinese mobiles from ebay with tv and loads other things... they are very cheap you can get one for 100 usd...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Generally the tv service has to be provided by the operator so it wouldn't work here. Vodafone and 3 provide mobile tv services but neither of them have all the channels yous regular tv would have, just what the operators choose to provide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't some of those Jap phones have arials, can you pick up bog 1 & 2 on them...? like http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-8-TFT-Touch-Screen-TV-Mobile-Phone-1GB-TF-FM-PH-TV888_W0QQitemZ370171909136QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MobilePhones_MobilePhones?hash=item370171909136&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318 Not sure about the frequencys probably best to ask in the TV forum

I think the jap phone is a really bad idea as if it breaks down you kinda out of repair options...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭patnor1011

little update.... I went for it. Got one called F100 FLY-TING. Kind of bar phone. Never saw smaller box, there was user manual, 2 batteries, sd card reader, charger, usb cable, screen shield, 4gb card. Phone operates with 2 sim at once I have o2 and meteor in. Both working together. Phone is packed with everything you can imagine. Good camera, player jaysus dont really want to start mentioning all here. Everything can be found on ebay. The best thing is that tv. That phone has aerial like first phones and I have no problem to pick up rte1, 2, tv3 and tg4... All working perfect when outside or in a place with signal coverage. That tv is for free and I dont need to pay to tv operator for data transfer when watching something through their network. I am very happy with thing and sure there will be little problem when this phone eventually break down but guy give you 6 or 12 months warranty so quite same as any operator here. Another thing is that you can purchase insurance like argos is selling directly from ebay or paypal. And the best thing is that that phone cost me 140 euro all with card charges, postage, I had to pay even VAT but no taxc as it was under 150 euro...

Just so you know, since the phone has a tv tuner built in you're legally required to have a tv license :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Just so you know, since the phone has a tv tuner built in you're legally required to have a tv license :P

You had to go and open that can of worms, didn't you? :D

It's true, though.....

Back on topic, looks like a cool enough phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sorry for dragging off topic again, but sammy is wrong on this one. You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal. ;)

Davy wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging off topic again, but sammy is wrong on this one. You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal. ;)

I think we've had this conversation before ;)

You need a license for any device that is capable of receiving a telegraphic signal, ie the broadcast tv signal. A computer generally is streaming tv from the internet and so is not receiving a telegraphic signal, a phone is usually streaming over the mobile network and so not receiving a telegraphic signal.

However if you're computer has a tv card with a tv tuner in it, it does require a tv license and this phone also requires a license because it also has a tv tuner. A tv card counts as "any other apparatus". Really it's a portable tv and adding phone functionality to it doesn't exempt you from the license

I think we've had this conversation before ;)

You need a license for any device that is capable of receiving a telegraphic signal, ie the broadcast tv signal. A computer generally is streaming tv from the internet and so is not receiving a telegraphic signal, a phone is usually streaming over the mobile network and so not receiving a telegraphic signal.

However if you're computer has a tv card with a tv tuner in it, it does require a tv license and this phone also requires a license because it also has a tv tuner. A tv card counts as "any other apparatus". Really it's a portable tv and adding phone functionality to it doesn't exempt you from the license

Correct.

Quote:
    Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence.

Source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Rossmd

Doesn't the N96 have a tv tuner? I think its the N96...maybe its the N95?

Rossmd wrote: »
    Doesn't the N96 have a tv tuner? I think its the N96...maybe its the N95?

Yes the N96 does. dvb-h

Ok from the webpage it says that, but the minister has said before they are not interested in licences for mobiles phones.

• Advertisement

So an N96 can pick up RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4?

Not yet. Its broadcasts on a different spectrum. It will be launched in the next year starting in the main city's.

Technically, yes, but it's not that straight forward. :)

The TV standard supported by that model is DVB-H, which I don't believe any operators provide in this country (read: it's useless to you in Ireland). It's not the same as the phone above, which basically has an ordinary analogue TV built into the phone.

Think of it kinda' like your mobile phone having a built-in Sky/Chorus/NTL box, vs. your mobile phone just having a TV and an ariel (as is the case with the phone in the original post).

But how is the DVB-H tuner on the N96 different to the one on the OP's chinese phone?

But how is the DVB-H tuner on the N96 different to the one on the OP's chinese phone?

Think of it like old analogue tv, versus new digital tv.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Think of it kinda' like your mobile phone having a built-in Sky/Chorus/NTL box, vs. your mobile phone just having a TV and an ariel (as is the case with the phone in the original post).

:)

Not only is it a different signal type (analogue vs. digital), but it's also a different standard. DVB-H was specifically built for mobile devices (Digital Video Broadcast - Handheld). Analogue TV was built for, em, a TV in your sitting room. :)

Ok thanks.....so will we ever be able to use the TV tuner on the N96 in Ireland?

Ok thanks.....so will we ever be able to use the TV tuner on the N96 in Ireland?

Yes. Its being worked on at the moment, they will be doing trials in Dublin limerick cork waterford and galway first. Then it will be later rolled accross the whole country. Dont expect it anytime soon though. They did a small pilot a few months ago in dublin.

calling what the N96 has a tv tuner is incorrect. It can receive digital signals from a dedicated dvb-h mast that is designed for sending signals to handheld devices, not proper tvs. The H stands for handheld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

The Chinese phones do not use dvb-h, just a normal receiver for the free to air analogue signals.

• Advertisement

yeah ut isnt it amazing that they can put your big tv sitting in living room into small handheld phone? Since I am paying for my tv licence at home I am not concerned about breaking law or something like that. Say that I just have 2 tv in home one in living room and one in my pocket...
    I have few pics dont know where to upload them. Just want to let you know that if you want something simmillar I can recommend that from my experience. Few details:
    Product Features:

3.0" WQVGA LCD touch screen.
    GSM Quad(4)-Band 850/900/1800MHZ/1900MHZ(Unlocked For all the country)
    Built-in FM and Analog TV Receiver.
    Dual Sim and Dual Standby
    Dual ultra-high definitiion camera
    Handwriting and key-board insert
    MP3 ,MP4 Video player
    Bluetooth Support A2DP Stereo and data transfer.
    Game function
    Support T-FLASH(MicroSD) Card

Specifications

Language: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian,Italy

LCD Size:3.0" WQVGA LCD touch screen.
    Video Camera : 3X E&C 3.0MP camera,integrated DV camera.
    Ringtone:64 Polyphonic, 3D mp3/mp4 Yamaha Sound Ringtones LOUD&CLEAR SPEAKER.
    Music and Video:3GP, MP3, MP4, MPEG-4, DV Shoot, Camera.
    Support Sound and Video recording.
    Support Web camera.
    Support Flip Menu.
    Support GPRS\WAP.
    Radio: FM.
    Rom:Support extended 4GB maximally, Document management.
    Standby Photo:jpg,gif
    Telephone directories:500 groups of contacts, support incoming ,support incoming call with big head sticker
    MS & MMS:200 SMS, support MMS
    Talk time:180-240minutes
    Standby time :100-150hours
    Weight/package :95G
    11.5X5.5X1.8(CM)
    More information: MP3/MP4/Handsfree/SMS group sending/Voice recorder/WAP/Handwritten + keyboard input/Bluetooth/GPRS download/MMS/Memory extended/E-book/two sim card and two standby/touch/calender/memo/world time/calculator/remit exchange.

Package Content

Cell Phone X 1
    4GB MicroSD Card X 1
    Batteries X 2
    Stereo Headphone X 1
    USB Cable X 1
    Charger X 1
    English USER Guide X 1

The Free Gift Including:

Dual-Layer Pouch( waist pack ) X 1
    Strap(built-in TF Card Reader) X 1
    Screen Protector X 1

I have to play with settings as I need to know more about camera settinds and video player in that phone. It seems to me that that camera is not good enough but it can be that I choose some wrong settings...

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I have few pics dont know where to upload them.

You can actually attach your pictures to a post without uploading them.

Just look down past the "Submit" button and you will see a "Manage attachments" button.

I would really like to see them. :)

ok... these are pics from auction which I won.... That will be faster than doing pics myself...

and another few...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

What OS do these things run on.

Advertisement