Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advise on proposed changes to the firearms laws

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

paul1972 wrote: »
    pistols today rifles tomorrow and maybe shotguns the next day as far as they are concerned a gun is a gun is a gun

its true the power that be would love a land free of illegal firearms this not going to happen for them so there justifying there pay packs by kicking up a storm over our firearms .
    i think this always was going to happen they just wanted the right spark to lite the fire.
    they are still sore over the brophy case , practical pistol shooting was the spark they were looking for .
    too much too soon was the fraze that was used .
    things will settle back down once the big bad glocks are seen to have gone and the minster and fachta murphy can hold hands on tv and say to the pubilc we done it we sorted the handgun issue out for once and for all.

hunting firearms are not a problem and never will be .

i for one would like to see stricter controls on who get firearms and for what .
    we should have some sort of exam like sweden ,that every one getting a firearm will under stand its a privilege to own one and act accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

paul1972 wrote: »
    pistols today rifles tomorrow and maybe shotguns the next day as far as they are concerned a gun is a gun is a gun

Yea i know what your sayin, its a shame for honest people that have an interest in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

thanks to the practical pistol shooters pushing there unwanted sport on a government and police force that did want it in the first place

HEY!!!Below the Belt that!!:mad:
    We didnt "push"anything on the Govt or Gardai.They forced their paranoid ideas and agenda on us!!
    Dont know what your problem is with practical pistol is JW,but you are <mistaken>!
    Practical pistol had and has nothing to do with starting this off.It was the murder of Shane Greghan in Limerick that got Aherne sounding off in the Dail.THAT was the trigger.Despite a few other gangland shootings during the year that could have been used as well.But shoot a rugger player in Limerick!!Where rugger is worshiped and player sare demi gods???Too good an opportunity to miss!!Cynical,but true!
    Aherne sounded off on this in May 2008 at the GRA convention where he expressed as did the GRA "concern" about the numbers of handguns being liscensed in Ireland. This festerd on thru the Summer,which wasnt helped by that prime time programme,and Ahernes and FG junmping on the gun ban bandwagon,there numerous statements about reducing the amounts of liscensed handguns in Ireland,which IMO was ignored totally by the shooting public and bodies in Ireland,when we could have done more to challange these statements.But as usual lost opportunities.
    The reason that Practical pistol packed it in was [1] voulantary,as we had a gun to our head so to speak by the DOJ and Gardai.Where it was either close up and you the irish shooter MAYget to keep our pistols or keep going and Everyone loses their handguns!!THAT was our choices.. [2] Utter BS put out by by the DOJ That practical pistol ranges were training Bodygaurds,mercenaries and whatnot.[3] Sheer ignorance of what it involved and the fact it had nothing to do with defensive shooting.IOW we doan unnersan it,therefore it wont be allowed!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 47 paul1972

i dont take part in practical pistol never have,but its not fair to blame it for all that,s happend if it was,nt practical pistol it woud have been something else the powers that be were looking for a stick to beat shooting sports as a whole with ..the garda lost almost every case brought before the courts and are very <upset> over it ..if the senior garda is dead set against shooting as a whole and has the goverments ear this is what happens ....this is a move against all shooting sports ..

• Registered Users Posts: 47 paul1972

this is an e-mailsent to an ass load of politicans and ministers shortly after the murder of SHANE GEOGHEGAN in limerick NOT ONE OF THEM REPLIED
    could you please read this out in the dail and ask the minister for justice what he has to say to itmost if not all of the gangland murders commited are related to drugs,and the control and supply of the drugstrade.
    everyone who has bought and used illegal drugs has contributed to the latest murder that of MR GEOGHEGAN in
    limerick and all the other innocent victims of gangland crime.its the money they spend on drugs that these gangs use
    to buy guns , bullets and pay the scum who pull the triggers for them. the minister for justice has made remarks about a ban on
    legally owned firearms {even though the gardai admit that the number of legally owned firearms used in crime is so low to be almost non existant and they have no figures on it as it would not justify the effort}, i wonder how that will affect the gangs as i didnt know that thier guns were legal and lisenced
    because if they are not i cant see the ban having much affect on them ...is this just another goverment smokescreen,,,i think so ,,
    why dont the goverment tackle the real root of the problem the demand for illegal drugs as its the demand that dictates the supply
    and is fueling the murders and maddness the powers that be need to come down hard on drug users as they are the weak link and by removing the demand they can kill off this evil trade recreational drug users are just as guilty as the addicts maybe even more so as they view it as a game and have the money to play with ......you will never kill off this trade by targeting dealers only as the profits as so great others will always take their place
    anybody caught with any ammount of drugs regardless of how small the ammount shold be named shamed and prosecuted
    maybe the american system of THREE STRIKES and your jailed for life would be worth a try for dealers and addicts involved in crime to fund their habits
    the money the minister for justice is going to waste on fixing this problem with legally held firearms a problem which does not exist could be much better spent ,,, they tell us there is no money for the vaccine for cervical cancer but there is money for the minister for justice to waste on this just so he can be seen to do something ....there are enough restrictions on legally held firearms

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    We didnt "push"anything on the Govt or Gardai.They forced their paranoid ideas and agenda on us!!
    Dont know what your problem is with practical pistol is JW,but you are <mistaken>!
    Practical pistol had and has nothing to do with starting this off.It was the murder of Shane Greghan in Limerick that got Aherne sounding off in the Dail.THAT was the trigger.Despite a few other gangland shootings during the year that could have been used as well.But shoot a rugger player in Limerick!!Where rugger is worshiped and player sare demi gods???Too good an opportunity to miss!!Cynical,but true!
    Aherne sounded off on this in May 2008 at the GRA convention where he expressed as did the GRA "concern" about the numbers of handguns being liscensed in Ireland. This festerd on thru the Summer,which wasnt helped by that prime time programme,and Ahernes and FG junmping on the gun ban bandwagon,there numerous statements about reducing the amounts of liscensed handguns in Ireland,which IMO was ignored totally by the shooting public and bodies in Ireland,when we could have done more to challange these statements.But as usual lost opportunities.
    The reason that Practical pistol packed it in was [1] voulantary,as we had a gun to our head so to speak by the DOJ and Gardai.Where it was either close up and you the irish shooter MAYget to keep our pistols or keep going and Everyone loses their handguns!!THAT was our choices.. [2] Utter BS put out by by the DOJ That practical pistol ranges were training Bodygaurds,mercenaries and whatnot.[3] Sheer ignorance of what it involved and the fact it had nothing to do with defensive shooting.IOW we doan unnersan it,therefore it wont be allowed!

wake up and smell the coffee. 45 every shooting organization in the country have wash there hands of practical pistol shooting its the root of the hole problem .
    shame on you to bring up shane greghans murder to justify whats going on ,it started long before that nite .
    the hole sport has suffered at the hands of practical/combat style shooting .
    these are the facts ,what ever about <statements> put out by the DOJ .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

jwshooter wrote: »
    wake up and smell the coffee. 45 every shooting organization in the country have wash there hands of practical pistol shooting its the root of the hole problem .
    Because it's currently politically prudent to do so, and they must all be seen by Big Brother to be singing from the Politically Correct hymnsheet.

As an IPSC enthusiast, it's a most educational spectacle.

the hole sport has suffered at the hands of practical/combat style shooting .
    these are the facts ,what ever about BS put out by the DOJ .
    IPSC shooting has nothing to do with 'combat style' shooting, and anyone with any knowledge or expertise in real 'combat style' shooting would fall about the place laughing at the notion. I know, I've spoken to such people on the subject.

That is exactly the sort of woolly juxtaposition that was so effective in the campaign to demonise the sport out of existence here.

Well Sorreee if I <disagree with> your world view here jW
    1] NAME HERE which shooting sports "washed their hands" of practical???
    If you think that practical is the Whole problem,you are missing a good bit of the whole story.

If you READ my post CAREFULLY.You might see that I pointed out exactly when it started and the timeline.Which has been posted here on Boards.ie for the last year in various discussions.Do go and check if you dont belive.

They say cynicism is a nasty way of telling the truth.And I am telling the truth that Gregohans murder WAS used most cynically by this current minister,due to who was murderd and where.Why didnt he do this when numerous scumbags were offing each other in Limerick???Is it then being said off the record then that it it ok for criminals to kill each other,but once an innocent gets shot who is a local figure,we MUST ban handguns..
    Well, that would be typical for double standards here in Ireland!!Criminal life isnt worth much,and moreso than a rugby player.:(:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Practical/Combat style shooting.BwHAHAHAHAHAHA! You havent a CLUE have you about this sport,do you??? Combat shooting has never happened here in Ireland apart from in the minds of the ignorant who never botherd to go to,see or inform themselves on the difference or what it was all about,or got their information from the internet,like certain people did in the DOJ,or you were in asubversive organisation.
    As somone who has done practical pistol and "combat" shooting[whatever the Hell that is].I assume you meanself defence,bodygaurd training etc.I can tell you there is a World of difference between the two.you could not do things in combat shooting on a practical course as you would be disqualified instantly,or vice versa using practical techniques.

THOSE are the facts.Go away and read up abit on them!And dont think YOU are safe just because you shoot shotgun or rifle.Remember gun grabbers dont stop just cos one type of gun is gone..your rifle might be the next boogeyman.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think english teachers all over the nation must be crying right about now.
    Lads, can ye keep it civil and at least try for some punctuation and spelling?
    And keep the politics out of the hunting or target shooting forums?

And ye might remember that feelings are exceptionally high on both sides of the for/against practical pistol divide, so have some empathy when posting? End of the day, we're all shooters and none of us is going to go away - there are enough lifetime grudges in this sport's politics as it stands to make Italian politics look Swiss. More aren't really needed. I have no doubt they'll show up anyway, but we could at least try not to create them deliberately...

bottom line 45 is practical pistol shooting is a thing of the past ,i have been at a few of the shoots and they were well managed and very safe . but thats not the problem is it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

your talking pure and utter crap .

the only thing going to be banned is practical pistol shooting and the licencing of pistols over .22
    thanks to the practical pistol shooters pushing there unwanted sport on a government and police force that did want it in the first place

For a guy who didn't seem to be a fan of a certain director of the NARGC, you certainly seem to be buying his <philosophical stance> now.

Also, if you're not going to think before you post here, the least you could do is proof read it.

macnas wrote: »
    For a guy who didn't seem to be a fan of a certain director of the NARGC, you certainly seem to be buying his <philosophical stance> now.

Also, if you're not going to think before you post here, the least you could do is proof read it.

who i am a fan of is of little concern of yours .we will see now many will be practical pistol shooting this time next year .

i am in 3 of the bigger shooting organisations in ireland and none or them will justify the unjustifiable not my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

we will see now many will be practical pistol shooting this time next year .

i am in 3 of the bigger shooting organisations in ireland and none or them will justify the unjustifiable not my words.

Please state your reasons, specifically, or can it.

As Sparks would say - post it or it never happened.

B'Man

HeLLO!!News FLASH for all!
    The IPSA went into "voulantary" liquidation by a majority members vote on Dec 2008,in Mullingar.
    It formally ceased and wound up Dec31st 2008.[Proably to much relif of some people and organisations here:mad:.:]

IOW it is gone,finished,kaputt, andiamo, no more.It is an UN practiacl shooting sport organisation!!!.Practical shooting sports DO NOT EXIST in the ROI anymore!!! And WONT EXIST in the future either,specifically commented so on by the DOJ!
    ANY shooting with any TYPE of firearm that involves dynamic movement[IE running walking briskly,hopping crawling,whatever],or any type of scenario or tactics with a loaded firearm,IS OUT!!The only place you could do it now is Northern Ireland.
    So dont worry,the threat of the evil dynamic,practical shooter has been purged from the land of shooting Ireland! Ye can all rest safley in your beds knowing that with this menace gone you are all safe to continue the more acceptable traditional shooting sports.Until the Govt decides on another bugbear to remove from society.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

No Disrespect Grizzly and most certainly no disrespect to the IPSA people, those that kept to the rules of their sport. I have defended IPSA/IPSC's right to take part in their sport. They should have been supported by the people that sat in the seats of power in the sport, but they weren't.

But the truth has to be told, a small group of people that cared nothing for any of the people involved in their individual disciplines, is what brought about the demise of IPSA/IPSC here in Ireland.

For you to say that Bodyguard and Tactical training never took place is untrue, we lost our authorization over it, it was run by people that put profit before the sport and fellow sports men, people that would risk everything for their gain.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club
    aka Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Sikamick wrote: »

No Disrespect Grizzly and most certainly no disrespect to the IPSA people, those that kept to the rules of their sport. I have defended IPSA/IPSC's right to take part in their sport. They should have been supported by the people that sat in the seats of power in the sport, but they weren't.

But the truth has to be told, a small group of people that cared nothing for any of the people involved in their individual disciplines, is what brought about the demise of IPSA/IPSC here in Ireland.

For you to say that Bodyguard and Tactical training never took place is untrue, we lost our authorization over it, it was run by people that put profit before the sport and fellow sports men, people that would risk everything for their gain.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club
    aka Sikamick

What sikamick has said is true.

I am not going to go in to it on a public board.

Also jwshooter please look into something and get the facts before you post and make a joke out of yourself, You couldn't be more wrong.

IPSC is a sport thats done all around the world, By every type of person.

Cooks/House mums/Dads/Kids/law enforcement personel/Doctors/Teachers the list gose on and on. But yet Ireland being stuck back in the dark ages and with norrow minded people like yourself. Who dont understand what the sport is and cant be arrsed! to look in to it so you want to ban it.

In any case. As its been said again and again, Anyone who dose not believe it they need to wake up,

PISTOLS TODAY EVERYTHING ELSE TOMORROW

the list goes on and on thats the problem is in it .

the list goes on and on thats the problem is in it .

For you to say that, Just shows how norrow minded you are.

I would also like to point out that, The same people you are talking about "who ever they may be -- Please tell us?? " Will still do what ever they want no matter if IPSC is here or not, (But it never will be here again any time soon, Thanks to some)

Anyways whats done is done, If we are to come out with anything after the Sh!tstorm clears we need to drop all the in house BS and back stabing.

The bigger picture also needs to be addressed not just what effects you (or the people at the time )

Its just from the EGM/AGMs i have been at over the last 6 months, One clear message i have got is, We will do what ever it takes to keep what we do, We will turn our backs, sacrifice whatever other sport in the process.

Be it rifle shooting, Hunting, Pistol shooting etc.

Because the DoJ have said they dont mind .22 being used in the state. Some people are happy enough to leave it at that. And not rockDboat just incase they change there minds and bann everything!

We need a united front.

Alot of good work has been done. But alot more could be done if some people play ball.

Main reason why i dont post much on the shooting boards anymore is because once the flood gates open its hard to close them again,

I am sure most of you wont agree, Most will try and bash what is said, But alot will understand what i am talking about.

This is nothing more then my own personal view on how our sport is being ruined,

People need to stop jumping on whatever Bandwaggoning of the week it is.

Read the facts and make your own minds up and remember its about the bigger picture here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Aside from the general points in the Shooting forum Charter regarding being civil and polite to each other, this might be an opportune time to gently remind everyone about the two sticky posts at the top of the forum, the ones personally posted by the Boards.ie Admins:
    ****Allegations against named individuals. READ THIS OR GET BANNED TOO*****
    Misuse of this forum will cost any shooting association €950 per post.

Basically, be VERY careful not make any sort of allegation against any identifiable person, or to identify any such person either directly or indirectly; and, please be aware that associations/organisations are not in a position to respond officially here.

That's it, carry on and play nice,
    Rovi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There was at least one instance which received international publicity on the web of what appeared to be one "outfit" training for bodyguard stuff in the state using what appeared to be licensed firearms. Stuff like that fecked it up for the rest of us.

• Advertisement

Sika,
    As you well know there are two things that are cheap in Ireland.Talk and Water. As my old Gran from Cavan used to say.
    Indeed you are right that these "individuals" who have supposedly caused this trouble out there.
    BUT lets call spades ,spades and not earth inverting horticultural impliments here and put some cards on the table for once.Because if these allegations are true and there is viable proof of these incidents occuring that would stand up in a court of law I would personally like to know,WHY there has been no prosecutions ever on this.

1] From the description of two incidents,if they are true they would have violated the offences against the state act 1939,and even proably Irelands neutrality laws.Enough to proably cause adiplomatic incident with a small Island nation as well.:eek:Yet there has never been sofar any Garda arrests made or has there been any offical investigation,nor ASFIK has anyone of the IPSA ever been questioned on this or asked to assist in Garda enquirues on this.I will say it was supposed to have happened on a range APPROVED for practical pistol!!! That does not mean that IPSA personel or members were there or involved in anyway with this.

2]There is supposedly some video phone cam "footage" of one of these incidents taken byor given to the DOJ/Gardai.It has never been made public despite many requests from the IPSA for it to do so...

All these events,everyone knows about them,but when asked for details,no one wants to give them,or actually knows it factually,who what,when, where, why,or how.It is all the aytpical 2nd hand rumour mill stuff.

3] NOT ONE piece of evidence on these cases would stand up in a court of law if brought at they stand. It seems there is NO prosecutable evidence or grounds.
    If there was,wouldnt you think the Gardai and DOJ would not have used it as a final hammer blow to finish off practical pistol,and proably all the other disiplines as well???Wouldnt it have been "leaked" to the gutter press?? Legal Rambos train in Ireland or somthing of the like??

Now,unless you know somthing different and have factual proof that you are willing to publish and present here.Then I will stand corrected.
    Publish or it never happened.

4] There is ONE piece of evidence and remarkably it is not moved on sofar.There is a bodygaurd organisation here in Ireland ,the International Bodygaurd Association or IBA.Based in Wexford.Basically this operation is run by a
    chacter who seems to be off in another world altogether.

For those who would like to peruse this.I suggest looking up on Boards.ie

Military section,thread Irish paramilitary organisations.

Or look up Army Rumour Service or www.Arrse.co.uk.

Threads The Baron Castleshort goes legal.

or .Arseepedia. Jim Shortts dubious claims to fame.

Or our old friends on indymedia.ie thread British military contractor operating from an Irish address.

I recommend plenty of spare time to read all this and see what sort of a laughable chacter/con man this person who is running this operation.

However what is more revelant in all this is that he has run a bodygaurd course in Ireland of which there is a DVD for sale on www.iba.de from the stills there is a large amount of what looks like VERY heavy firepower on display in Wexford or Louth[make up your own minds as to where exactly]
    Off the top of my head ,a Gustav SMG,A HK G3,A AKM ,A walther G22 bullpup and some other military hardware.
    There is then a pic of the main man,with Irish wolfhound surrounded by 4 blokes in Ninja kit ,gasmasks with HK SMGs.All taken in Ireland apprently.
    [Can we say Breaking the Irish gun laws???]Wether the stuff is deacted or not is irrevelant.It is what was being DONE with it is the big problem.

Now boys and girls,this has also featured in The Phoenix magazine on numeros dates in mid to late 2008 as well.[Basically chopping the Irish tidbits to fill their colums].The gun picsare/were on Boards.ie above mentioned thread,IBA.de and the Phoenix also published the same pic.
    PLEASE do not tell me that no one in the Gardai/DOJ has not copped this???Or does not read other posts on different subjects on Boards,[Heck the Gardai and Army have their OWN section here]or has never read the Phoenix last year???
    So please tell me how a organisation like that can produce a DVD of pretty much illegal activities under Irish firearms and security law,and get away with it?
    While a SPORTS group is prosecuted hounded,and basically ethnically cleansed from Irish society,on the most flimisiest proof available??

I invite any person to view these links I have provided,which is public domain now and draw their own conclusions as to WTF is going on here in this country.

Grizzly 45,

I will say one thing on all that, There is alot more going on in this state that shouldn't be by law.

As for the IBA!..... enough said

Whats going on now has nothing to do with IPSC.

know lets get back on topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

However what is more revelant in all this is that he has run a bodygaurd course in Ireland of which there is a DVD for sale on www.iba.de from the stills there is a large amount of what looks like VERY heavy firepower on display in Wexford or Louth[make up your own minds as to where exactly]
    Off the top of my head ,a Gustav SMG,A HK G3,A AKM ,A walther G22 bullpup and some other military hardware.
    There is then a pic of the main man,with Irish wolfhound surrounded by 4 blokes in Ninja kit ,gasmasks with HK SMGs.All taken in Ireland apprently.
    [Can we say Breaking the Irish gun laws???]Wether the stuff is deacted or not is irrevelant.It is what was being DONE with it is the big problem.

The iba:eek: international specialist trade fair for bakers and confectioners:eek: What a perfect cover. How long have they been "cooking":rolleyes: this under cover/bodygaurd training programme? Those crafty cake bakers have been one step ahead of law and order for years;)

Semtex made to look like icing etc:pac:

Check your link there G45:D

chem wrote: »
    The iba:eek: international specialist trade fair for bakers and confectioners:eek: What a perfect cover. How long have they been "cooking":rolleyes: this under cover/bodygaurd training programme? Those crafty cake bakers have been one step ahead of law and order for years;)

lol ya i seen that, But i didnt want to say anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Blazher wrote: »
    now lets get back on topic!
    To advise on it would take one sentence: "Wait for ten to fourteen days, see what the proposed changes actually will be, and then decide if we need or should do something".
    Anything else is just mental masturbation. Now if you want to go about doing that, that's your call :D

Go on IRELAND!! :D

Grand slam winners epic game!

I may be wrong but did they do a survey a couple of years ago on handguns held legally in dublin or somewhere and not one was reported stolen?
    could be wrong.

I dont hold have a handgun but i cant understand how the new laws are going to stop gun crime. Its not as if gang go into the garda station and apply for the licence and go get the gun off a dealer.
    Is it just peace of mind for the worrying public or what?

I'm not being ignorant or anything its just i havnt read up on the proposed new laws etc.

what a game

chem wrote: »

Ok mea culpa on that.
    Try
    www.iba-deutschland.de
    Sorry link doesnt work properly.Go to the main page,then click on media,second picture.DVD made in Ireland and the Baltics.Pic of himself sitting in chair with wolf hound and five ninjas behind him.

• Advertisement

Blazher wrote: »
    Grizzly 45,

I will say one thing on all that, There is alot more going on in this state that shouldn't be by law.

As for the IBA!..... enough said

Whats going on now has nothing to do with IPSC.

know lets get back on topic!

UH Huh! And when it is blatantaly being ignored by the law and enforcers of this land,then we dont have a democratic society or a just law makingor enforcement process..This is blatantly illegal under Irish firearms law.Yet it is ignored,despite plenty of evidence.WHY???

OTHO IPSC is hounded on flimsy evidence and has nothing in common with BGing,but it is classified the same...WHY???
    Serious imbalance here,and I would ask of the DOJ and Gardai WHY this has not been examined or acted on??

Advertisement