Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toughts on emulators??

Options
  • 12-03-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I recentley downloaded a snes emulator and 46 games. The emulator is perfect and was only 1.5mb, at first it was just a novelty lookin at the games but soon keyboard controls became frustrating. I got a great usb controller in gamestop for 8E and have downloaded all 746 games in one 600mb file and all work perfect..i thinks it great..anyone disagree with the ethics? or any other toughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I recentley downloaded a snes emulator and 46 games. The emulator is perfect and was only 1.5mb, at first it was just a novelty lookin at the games but soon keyboard controls became frustrating. I got a great usb controller in gamestop for 8E and have downloaded all 746 games in one 600mb file and all work perfect..i thinks it great..anyone disagree with the ethics? or any other toughts??

i think they are great, where else are you going to get a snes and a load of games. Its not as if nintendo are loosing money on it either, because u cant buy the games new or the console new

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ye are having a laugh right? Virtual Console on the Wii?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Ye are having a laugh right? Virtual Console on the Wii?

ah, i never thought of that actually.. i still dont think they loose any serious money because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Emulation is needed for the preservation of games.

How many of you would be able to play even half the arcade/8-bit/16-bit/pre-NES games created, if not for emulators?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd say they have lost a huge amount of potential customers due to the proliferation of emulators and roms. There's clearly a huge appetite for retro games, and if the Vurtial Console and other similar services were the only way to play them, they would be booming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

virtual console costs too much for sub par titles tbh

if old games were a quid or 2 a pop, i think 10 times as many people would buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

90% of the time its a case of "never meet your heroes" for me,, as theyll always dissappoint :o

I like to keep them in memory :) , they were great back in the day,,,,but when I used to try revisit the likes of Comix Zone or Streets of Rage2 or Battletoads, i had to stop within 10 mins and go back to PC or 360 :P

Same thing happened when i bought Transformers series boxset, i got to 6th episode before i realised how mental it was !! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yes, emulation does preserve a game but compare playing an emulator on your comp/psp/whatever to playing the actual game on the system. 100 times better, no comparison at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

SeantheMan wrote: »
    90% of the time its a case of "never meet your heroes" for me,, as theyll always dissappoint :o

I like to keep them in memory :) , they were great back in the day,,,,but when I used to try revisit the likes of Comix Zone or Streets of Rage2 or Battletoads, i had to stop within 10 mins and go back to PC or 360

comix zone and streets 2 are both still fantastic games tho

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Emulators are probably the best thing ever.

Think when you had your SNES if someone told you you could download any amount of games you want for free in a matter of seconds, SNES, megadrive or Arcade. all perfect renditions.

You would have laughed in their face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Iv got emulators for the Mega Drive,Snes and GBA. Its great to be able to play old classics from my childhood which i would'nt have been able to play again otherwise.

Iv discovered new classics too. I played Battletoads for the first time a couple of weeks ago and thought it was brilliant. I could'nt stop laughing at those brilliant animations of the giant shoe or hammer everytime you beat up the enemy.Brilliant:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I have loads of emulators and ROMs, but the mental thing is I still have some of the boxes for SNES and N64 in an old toybox somewhere.

Cartridges themselves are gone though :(
    Wouldn't matter, the consoles are long gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I wouldnt have spent a year playing Street Fighter 3 3rd strike online, if it wasnt for emulators.

I would have never got to play it otherwise. & I'd never realised how great it was and how it'd make me fall in love with street fighter.

Otherwise I'm normally your typical PC gamer. 3 Years ago I'd have never thought a 2d game would be in my top 3 games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Emulation is great, but generally the games are never as good as you remember :(

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Use project 64 (N64 emulator).

Games are awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

CutzEr wrote: »
    Use project 64 (N64 emulator).

Games are awesome :D

ya im keen to get a N64 emulator but so far have been put of by mentions of graphics cards and the like..is it as user friendly as zsnes(brilliant snes emulator)? or othe snes and mega drive emulators??

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

ya im keen to get a N64 emulator but so far have been put of by mentions of graphics cards and the like..is it as user friendly as zsnes(brilliant snes emulator)? or othe snes and mega drive emulators??

I've found it just as easy to use initially as the other consoles, but as you get used to it it's much better. There's loads of little graphics options you can tweak and playing the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time in 1920 x 1200 resolution with a 360 joypad cannot be beaten. Except maybe by playing it with the wiimote, which you can also try :-D

jayteecork wrote: »
    Can you send me a link for the ROM and emulator for 3rd Strike?

Can never get it working myself.

www.2dfighter.com

I can't link you the rom though however, I think that'd be breaking some rules somewhere. Its very easy to find though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No linking to roms or rom sites, please.

• Advertisement

eh what the hell man? Did you delete my post? I said in my post that I can't link him the rom as it would get me in trouble. & that gets deleted?

The only link I gave him was to 2DF. 2DF is not a dodgy site its a gaming match making site.

Its been talked about at length all over these forums (it'd all be in the same place if we had a fighting game section though :p )

2DF doesn't tell you where to get roms either.

Why would I say I can't link to roms then link to a rom site in the same post?
    :confused::confused::confused:

**edit/update**

Oh I see you restored my old post. Cheers. I didnt know that was possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Armedcor

I recently downloaded every N64 rom Which I'm quite pleased of. I own a huge amount of 64 games but there's loads of titles I've missed that I had to play

I started off on emulators back in 2000. Thought they were great...for a while. The controls sucked, and playing on a pad that wasn't designed for the console you were playing was a bit of a pain - kinda ruined the experience.

So now I've started just buying some retro consoles. The consoles are easy to come by it's just finding the games you want that kinda sucks.

I've everything from nintendo except the wii, gbc, and gba. Tbh none of the newer consoles appeal to me. I just dont find the games that much different to the games I was playing on my PC for years.

Nothing like setting up my snes for a game of SF2 or mario for a bit of fun. Still have lots of random games for my original nes too. And like 5 bazillion wrestling games and 4 controllers for my n64. Worms is heroic in 4 player :D

Advertisement