Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Does Rock and Metal on Vinyl Do For You

• 12-03-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Picked up Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy, Metallica's Ride the Lightning and Machine Head's Through the Ashes of Empires on Vinyl over the last couple of weeks!

Seriously good ****!

I don't even OWN a Vinyl player!

To me Vinyl is just something of a collector's piece that is both retro and good to have, something you can feel, but unlike a CD being ripped its great to have a big Vinyl record. And its having a resurgence as of late, with more and more artists committing albums to Vinyl as well as CD and Download

Should be bring back tape's?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Think its just that vinyl is more "collectable"

That and the fact that you dont have to squint to read the inner sleeves/lyrics etc cos theyre so big :)

And no please dont bring back tapes--The amount of times I spent taking the brown tape out of broken cassettes and sellotaping it back together in a new one cos it got caught in the mechanism and broke.
    Still it always worked out bar the odd couple of seconds missing where the sellotape was.

Wonder who`ll be first to ask what a tape is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

"What does rock & metal on vinyl do for you?"

Sit's at home gathering dust as i don't have a vinyl player, nor do i have any inclination of bothering.

I could never do the tape patching properly either! I knew someone who was an absolute master at it, but my efforts always jammed for about a second before it played again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I didnt believe vinyl could sound better until I started searching out Deep Purple's MKII + recordings.

Glover and Lord mentioned in an interview on the classic albums series that the biggest problem with CD's was that in their earlier days, reissues of back catalog tended to be ported straight to CD from the master, despite that fact that the new format needed specific mixing.

This was definately true of the early purple re-issues - they dont sound 'better' in terms of clarity, but they sound much better in terms of placement. The vinyls were the first time I had heard them with their original intended mixes, and they sounded much more alive than the Cd's.

My favourite versions of early MKII are Glovers' later re-mixes, which sound better than the vinyl now. Its a matter of how much care goes into the transition, I think. Made in Japan still sounds better on vinyl though, the gritty edge really adds to it, and the bass was never as clear on the CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    "What does rock & metal on vinyl do for you?"

Sit's at home gathering dust as i don't have a vinyl player, nor do i have any inclination of bothering.

I could never do the tape patching properly either! I knew someone who was an absolute master at it, but my efforts always jammed for about a second before it played again.

pretty much the same here,i've loads of old METALLICA/ G N' R/ FNM picture discs and the like upstairs which will probably never see the light of day again.

pride of the collection goes to L*@# like a suicide EP,cost me a small fortune at a music fair in the mansion house in '92!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

Vinyl skips, hisses & jumps, and, if you're in Western Australia, melts into a pool of plastic in the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

If anyones got a vinyl player or old vinyl there gonna get rid of. Id take it off em in a heartbeat. Vinyl sounds a LOAD better imo, the problem is nowadays finding a decent vinyl player that isnt specificly made for djing. The things are bloody non existant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

Vinyls have much better sound Quality than C.d.'s. I wish Records came back into fashion i don't think they will. C.d.'s are just much practical these days.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Bought Minor Threat - Out of step and Venom - Black Metal on vinyl today,I love the huge artwork and lyric sheets.

Cd's arent even practical anymore. MP3 is the way forward. Youd never think the difference is so extreme between mp3 and vinyl. When i was doing my sound engineering training we were given the exact same song to listen to on 112mp3 then 320mp3, then cd and then vinyl. It was insane to hear the difference, even between mp3 and cd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I would love to get aload of stuff on vinyl and a decent old player. Was going to do it a while back but the money was needed elsewhere.

Will deffo get it sorted whenever money comes availible again.........whenever the fu(k that might be :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I love vinyl! :D

I would love to get aload of stuff on vinyl and a decent old player. Was going to do it a while back but the money was needed elsewhere.

Will deffo get it sorted whenever money comes availible again.........whenever the fu(k that might be :(
    Problem is finding a good old player :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Patricide wrote: »
    Problem is finding a good old player :(

seen this in one of them catalogues you get on yankee planes on the way back from the states a while back. most likely you can't get them here but it'd certainly solve any "old" media issues.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102628249&c=10210

Advertisement