Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reactivating a line with Eircom

Options
  • 12-03-2009 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi
    Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I left the country for a few months a while back and ended my broadband service before I left. Now I'm trying to reactivate the line (it was DSL).

I call broadband provider X, who says I need to call Eircom to activate the line. I call Eircom, but they actually order a new line for me even though I specifically said I wanted it just reactivated. Then at the end of the call they tell me it will be 130 euros.

Under what circumstances can you actually get your line just reactivated? It has not been touched since I left 8 months ago. Otherwise there would be no such thing as reactivation, just activation and a rogering.

On principle I am not paying 130 euros, the same fee it costs to get someone to come out and physically run the cable into your house.

Anyone know what the deal is at the moment with Eircom with this? When I asked "Oh since when is it always 130 euros?" they replied "Oh for the last 8 months or so actually". :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ring again, and speak with someone who isn't an idiot. Re-activating a line is simple enough, and takes less than a day. Currently, the price for installing a new line is zero, so they shouldn't have been telling you it was 130. Normally though, that is about the right price for a new line, I paid 125 I think.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

jor el wrote: »
    Ring again, and speak with someone who isn't an idiot. Re-activating a line is simple enough, and takes less than a day. Currently, the price for installing a new line is zero, so they shouldn't have been telling you it was 130. Normally though, that is about the right price for a new line, I paid 125 I think.

This is right on the money. If you line has no problems and there are no breakages etc. then there’s no need for any new installation. Just ring again, as far as I know reactivation is free this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

yeah, I called yesterday to reactivate an existing line where I live and they just ordered a new line and it was free (though they did try and sell me a bundle package)

Told me I could expect an engineer to call me within 8 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Installing a new line ( new copper) is free until May 22nd .

Reactivating a line or activating a new line in a new house or new apartment with copper is free until May 22nd

In case they try a billing scam on you print the offer out here and save the PDF

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Hi Thanks for that.
    I just rang them back and they created a new Eircom account for me... I never asked for that, but anyway.
    In their minds reactivating = activating = new Eircom account (although I think it was just one eejit rep).
    It's really anti competitive actually... why would you create a new account when the customer is going to get service with another provider?

I'll keep the offer and quote that in case I'm charged the 130 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

thanks for pointing this out - I've been back and forth to eircom this past 3 days about transferring my broadband to my new house, NOT ONCE, did any of the 3 people I spoke to mention it was free to reactivate a line.

I'm going to get the line re activated them get broadband with either BT or UTV.

Advertisement