Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

• 12-03-2009 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

A little help here folks, my mind has frozen (I should probably see someone about that)...

When you have a phrase such as "Applied Economics", is there a word to describe the term "Applied" in that phrase? I know its an adjective, but is there a fancier word (one that you havent made up) to describe it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

super adjective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Post verb noun prefix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

recession

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I believe its knows as "Shatners Adjective"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just tell her your interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Lesson learned. After Hours is serious business.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from Serious business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Archimedes wrote: »
    A little help here folks, my mind has frozen (I should probably see someone about that)...

When you have a phrase such as "Applied Economics", is there a word to describe the term "Applied" in that phrase? I know its an adjective, but is there a fancier word (one that you havent made up) to describe it?

As we all know "Applied economics " refers to Economic Theory being appliedto real world scenarios.

Now I would personally consider "applied" to be fancy enough in it's own right and quite frankly I cannot see why you would need a more fancier term.

"Applied" to me has a rather mysterious ring to it and I would be perfectly happy to describe myself as an aficionado of "Applied ****tery"happy in the knowledge that many would view that as a serious art when in fact it is not.

Don't fix what ain't broke.

(Apologies to the English language there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Archimedes wrote: »

If you were referring to the type of adjective, I would say it is a ‘classifying adjective’, as it places the noun in a category or class.

If you are looking for a ‘fancier’ word for ‘Applied’ in the context given, I wouldn’t care to offer an opinion, as the term ‘Applied Economics’ is specifically used to describe * ‘the application of economic theory and analysis’, which is not my field.

* Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_economics

Advertisement