Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone SW 3.0 preview on Paddys day..

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Just had a quick look on engadget.. Is A2DP going to be unlocked on the 2g iphone aswell as the 3g?? The MMS thing is a joke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

unklerosco wrote: »
    Is A2DP going to be unlocked on the 2g iphone aswell as the 3g?? The MMS thing is a joke...

According to this, no.

Overall, first impression is "Is that it?" Most of the features outlined today are really only bringing the iPhone up to date with other phones.

Then again, not all of the 100 features have been announced, presumably to keep them on the QT for the new model coming out in the Summer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm looking forward to turn by turn directions.

The big question though is - will O2 allow tethering? It's going to be allowed/disallowed by the carrier.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Al O'Peica wrote: »
    According to this, no.

Overall, first impression is "Is that it?" Most of the features outlined today are really only bringing the iPhone up to date with other phones.

Then again, not all of the 100 features have been announced, presumably to keep them on the QT for the new model coming out in the Summer.

I dunno, maybe the likes of the built in ones like mms and copy and paste/stereo bluetooth etc. spotlight isn't something I've seen anything like on a phone before?

Apis for building maps into 3rd party apps, an api for hardware control, push is a big deal and as no other phone supports 3rd party apps the way the iphone does it's a big deal to have thousands of apps using it on the phone imo.

like you say most of the features are just filling holes, but they seem to have filled a lot of them.

As far as I can tell the only missing features for me are video recording and flash support.

what are the missing things that have people going meh?

Surprised at all the complaints that everything isn't backward compatible to day1 also, apple must be wondering why the bother at all when people still give them a hard time even when they make 99% of features backward compatible, when no other company ever makes any new feature backward compatible, just launches new phones for every new feature.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, I'm extremely excited about all this stuff, I can't wait for June
    emot-dance.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

copacetic wrote: »
    Surprised at all the complaints that everything isn't backward compatible to day1 also, apple must be wondering why the bother at all when people still give them a hard time even when they make 99% of features backward compatible, when no other company ever makes any new feature backward compatible, just launches new phones for every new feature.
    i get what you're trying to say, but it's a little different with apple.

think of someone who bought a 2g iphone just before the 3g iphone came out, they are still in contract, yet they see all these cool new features come along yet to be told no, they won't work on your phone.

it's just a little bit different than how other phones work as you're tied to a contract with an iphone where as you aren't with another phone.

like it's fair enough if the 2g iphone isn't capable of doing AD2R stuff, but with swirlyMMS doing MMS messages no problem and for apple to say that MMS is not available on the 2g iphone because the radio chip doesn't allow it, it's like shooting yourself in the foot except people won't complain about it.

i get what you're trying to say, but it's a little different with apple.

think of someone who bought a 2g iphone just before the 3g iphone came out, they are still in contract, yet they see all these cool new features come along yet to be told no, they won't work on your phone.

it's just a little bit different than how other phones work as you're tied to a contract with an iphone where as you aren't with another phone.

but only 2 of the features won't work on the 2g, stereo bluetooth and mms? Anyone who bought a 2G just when the 3G was coming out deserves little sympathy imo. It was flagged for 3-4 months in advance.

Not sure I get you on the contract thing, I was always tied in to at least a 12 month contract when I got subsidised phone with vodafone or meteor? Isn't it still the same way, a lot of the other high end phones also tie you in to 18 month contract. You can upgrade if applicable, just like any other contract?
    Or am I not getting what you mean?

God, I'm starting to sound like a fanboy!

ohh i know you're pretty much tied to a contract all the time.

i guess my main beef with is that MMS is something that - i'll admit i've never ever used it - is completely standard on every single phone sold with a camera.

now there was a huge uproar about the phone not being able to send and recieve MMS when it was launched.

it then took some time for a third party developer to prove that MMS can be done with the phone.

then when people heard ohh iphone software 3.0 will include MMS people thought, ohh yes, about time.

then for apple to say, MMS will not be available to 2g users because the radio chips are not compatible or some other ****e, was just stupid.

don't get me wrong, i love apple :o, i have a macbook, iphone, ipod, mac mini and i still will continue to buy their good products. i guess i just can't stand being lied too.

well agree that saying it can't be done if it is already being done is a bit stupid. not familar with the app though so dunno if it works properly or via a webserver or something? there was an appstore app that did that, ie took your pic and sent it via it's mms server.

I'm sure that'll be picked up on by the various sites in a hurry anyway so will probably get clarification.

copacetic wrote: »
    what are the missing things that have people going meh?

I suppose there is nothing there that makes me go "Wow". Perhaps it was the fact that there was nothing "sexeh" in the list (unless you get hot and bothered over all the new API's :)). When the new apps come out that take advantage of the new API's, well maybe then I will start getting all hot and bothered.

Having said that, I will, be purchasing a new iPhone this Summer either way. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'm very happy with the coming update, everything I would want (and some things I didn't expect) will be available. The only thing though - if some of the rumour houses are to be believed and there is going to be a new handset this summer, it would want to have something pretty extraordinary on it to get me to upgrade. With the new functionality, I can see my 3G lasting me quite some time now. Happy days! :)

if there's a new handset this year i assume it will be to get old 2g iphone users to upgrade. tbh i can't see what else they could do to the handset - then again that's why i'm not a product engineer :pac: - i'll leave that to people who know what they are doing but i would like to see an increase in storage space to 32gigs.

i would like to see an increase in storage space to 32gigs.

Actually, for me, that is the biggest reason for upgrading.

I filled up my 8Gb within a couple of months of buying it. So I need more room.

yup i've been running on a 8gig here with like 100megs free space pretty much since i bought the phone in january 2008.

MOAR space apple, kthxbye :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Very happy indeed with the news. :)

Doubt this whole 3.0 is a precursor to a new handset. Wouldn't make any sense to upgrade every old handset with new features in advance of new hardware.

I wonder when they say "this summer" does that mean Apple are guaranteeing we're actually going to get one?! (Though I guess if Apple gave us a summer there'd still be haters complaining about the heat :pac:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

maybe this has already been mentioned, but the mms on the original 2G iphone will still not work with the 3.0 upgrade. Damn it anyway.

I want to upgrade so maybe this is my excuse. I will wait till the slingbox app is ready and take the plunge to 3G and 3.0 op system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Actually, just looking at spotlight. Isnt this really just the same thing that I have on my n95 and 5800. Search application that goes through your entire phone (contacts, messages, applications,notes,etc.etc.etc) and the internet if needed or is there somethin more to apples one :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Woo,

Just got tethering working!

3.0 is looking great, but to be fair, most of the features are just bringing it up to date with every other phone out there! I love the notes sync and copy & paste works really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Woo,

3.0 is looking great, but to be fair, most of the features are just bringing it up to date with every other phone out there! I love the notes sync and copy & paste works really well.
    Looks good. There is a lot more to come, I have a feeling they are holding off on a few features and apps (video recording, iChat) until June itself because there will be a hardware revised iPhone along with 3.0 (hopefully a front facing camera with a new rear camera too) - exactly why they are using the excuse that the 2G iPhone can't handle MMS because of hardware requirements (which is absolute bull**** on so many levels, I don't even want to start - SwirlyMMS), they want to get it out of the way and make everyone use a 3G iPhone only.

Typical Apple.

Woo,

I presume that is via the USB cable, is it?

If it was via Bluetooth, that would be impressive. :) (although, I don't think Bluetooth could handle HSDPA data rates, could it?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

If it was via Bluetooth, that would be impressive. :) (although, I don't think Bluetooth could handle HSDPA data rates, could it?)
    Bluetooth EDR is 2.1 MB/s, while USB 2.0 is 480 MB/s. Bluetooth is perfect for 3G in most cases (shame about overheads though).

You have the option for Bluetooth (See Pic) but i have not tried it yet. I have seen reports of it not working tho.

Will test this evening and report back!

No luck with the Bluetooth Tethering. I had read on a few blogs that its not working yet.

Something to be fixed later i assume!

best review of what wasn't in the new OS preview that I've seen so far (although not much new about why):

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/what-apple-didnt-announce-for-iphone-os-30.ars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Looks good. There is a lot more to come, I have a feeling they are holding off on a few features and apps (video recording, iChat) until June itself because there will be a hardware revised iPhone along with 3.0 (hopefully a front facing camera with a new rear camera too) - exactly why they are using the excuse that the 2G iPhone can't handle MMS because of hardware requirements (which is absolute bull**** on so many levels, I don't even want to start - SwirlyMMS), they want to get it out of the way and make everyone use a 3G iPhone only.

Typical Apple.
    Ya I think that too. Apple don't want to totaaly spoil 3G iPhone owners with loads of new features, they want to give people a reason to buy a new iPhone in the summer.

Advertisement